ToME?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 18th October 2011, 19:00

ToME?

I've been looking at ToME and it seems pretty interesting to mess around with now that I don't hate tiles. But, as the crawl interface is the best interface, it annoys me to relearn another. I was wondering if anyone had a crawl(ish) hotkey setup they would upload? If not I'll get to work and upload it shouldn't take hardly any time at all. I just want the interface stop being so damn mouse intensive. I miss o and tab already :(

Is ToME worth getting into? I used to play Nethack a lot and it was pretty decent but DCSS far surpassed it. Because nothing would be better than playing another roguelike on top of DCSS. Because I'd love to fail at college and life. ToME kind of reminds me of Diablo as well, which I was never a really huge fan of but then again I only ever played it on LAN w my gf maybe it would be better online with larger groups.

Don't let me do this to myself.. Except do.

Eringya's Employee

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 07:46

Re: ToME?

Well, I've tried ToME 4 in my search for more roguelikes... It seems to borrow a lot from Dragon Age: Origins (warrior types get stamina, mages get mana, sustained abilities, the skill names are similar to DA:O and have similar effects).
I would definitely not put it up to where DC:SS stands in my list. I mean, everything in ToME 4 seemed way too imbalanced to me. Especially the body inscriptions that heal you for insane amounts.

But, if anyone has a different opinion, feel free to correct me, If you do a good job you may convince me to give it a try again. ;)
MuCK;
  Code:
612 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Xom revived you
614 | D:1      | Slain by a gnoll

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 10:29

I'm curious about ToME too. I just barely have time to play Crawl lately, so another Roguelike is just... a distant wish.
I am sure I played flawflessly. This was an utmost unfair death. -- gorbeh

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 13:02

Tome 4 is still in early stage of development. There it is lot of balance issues and lot of the specials levels are unbeatable with the wrong class. Also I find that it relies more on spoiler that crawl.
But I will give a more serious try when the game will be more mature.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 19th October 2011, 20:43

Heh I'd like to get back into learning DF if I had the time and patience :?

The inscription idea seems pretty nice and it looks like a pretty good game. I like the cooldown technique it really seems to give it a feel of Diablo or WoW even. I absolutely do not have time for those though haha

Anyone know of any other good RLs? I played some Ivan for a while but its halted development and basically unbeatable (supposedly) but interesting concept and fun to play. Nethack is pretty good I never won but I got reasonably far before. I'll have to look into DoomRL some more

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 20th October 2011, 01:46

Prospector's coming along nicely.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 20th October 2011, 03:53

I played ToME a heap earlier this year. Got bored of it when they started offering stuff for donations -- I dislike this stuff, not because of the cost, but because it's such a pain to ask my parents whenever I need to make an online transaction. I got ---THIS--- close to winning on two occasions. Goddamn Argoniel. Played mostly CoBe. CoAr swamped you with abilities. CoAn would've been REALLY fun if I didn't suck at it so much. I was thinking that perhaps SkBe or HiBe might work better, as even though they have slower levelling they're tougher when they're at XL50.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 20th October 2011, 21:27

Never heard of Prospector I'll go take a look. My god DF's adventure mode looks awesome. I just watched a some of a let's play during my bout with insomnia in which the player ripped off a gnome child's loincloth and strangled him to death with it, after (earlier) knocking a giant unconscious with a bone, breaking his knees and then lighting him on fire and collecting his bones. It seems to have incredible detail with less tedium than the regular fortressey mode.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner