Crawl: 25th Anniversary Edition

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 9th December 2022, 22:09

Crawl: 25th Anniversary Edition

Hello DCSS community! Long-time lurker, first-time poster, but I'm here because I wanted to make sure the community recognizes that an important milestone just passed:

If Wikipedia is correct then October 2 marked 25 years since Linley Henzell released Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Let that sink in for a minute.

I haven't played Crawl regularly in years due to life changes and inability to keep up with the pace of the updates, but I often read the change logs and I'm so happy that the game, its development team and the playerbase continue to grow and evolve, year after year.

The highly-democratic nature of its development makes Crawl unique. Plenty of devs incorporate player feedback now, but Crawl was one of the earliest examples of that and it's still the best example. Crawl goes further, though: I can't think of any other game that's developed exclusively by its players and where almost the entire development team has turned over in the course of development.

Anyhow, I just wanted to drop a quick line to say how happy I am to see that DCSS is still turning new corners two and a half decades on. What a proud accomplishment!

-Joel

For this message the author joelmv has received thanks:
sanka

Slime Squisher

Post Wednesday, 14th December 2022, 15:54

Re: Crawl: 25th Anniversary Edition

DCSS is impressive, but earlier roguelikes took player feedback (mostly on USENET), were developed by their players (why else bother?), and have had near-complete development turnovers.

(Also, Linley didn't release DCSS :-)
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Snake Sneak

Post Saturday, 24th December 2022, 17:00

Way to shoot down their enthusiasm. I'm sure everyone joins up here hoping they can immediately face a wall of corrections and caveats...
And you think you're capable of finding the ORB? I had it, you know. Then I gave it away so I could steal it AGAIN.

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 24th December 2022, 21:13

Gongclonker wrote:Way to shoot down their enthusiasm. I'm sure everyone joins up here hoping they can immediately face a wall of corrections and caveats...

I fear I have another correction; nobody joins up here. Tavern registrations have been disabled for years.

More seriously, eh, I like DCSS but let's not pretend it's something it's not.

Snake Sneak

Post Sunday, 25th December 2022, 02:08

joelmv wrote:Anyhow, I just wanted to drop a quick line to say how happy I am to see that DCSS is still turning new corners two and a half decades on. What a proud accomplishment!

Agreed! I think DCSS is awesome too!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 1st January 2023, 15:15

damerell wrote:I fear I have another correction; nobody joins up here. Tavern registrations have been disabled for years.

weird how that guys account was made dec 2022. does that mean you'll issue another correction?
seattle washington. friends for life. mods hate on me and devs ignore my posts. creater of exoelfs and dc:pt

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 2nd January 2023, 13:02

twelwe wrote:
damerell wrote:I fear I have another correction; nobody joins up here. Tavern registrations have been disabled for years.

weird how that guys account was made dec 2022. does that mean you'll issue another correction?

It wasn't. "Long-time lurker", says the OP. The "Joined" date is inaccurate.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner