Difficult Installation on Windows 10

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 21st August 2021, 17:25

Difficult Installation on Windows 10

I downloaded the current version, and, when I tried installing it, I got a blue rectangle from a Windows service (WIndows smartscreen, probably) telling me that the program was dangerous and would not be installed. There is a white button with "do not install" written on it, and, at first, no "install anyway" button (you have to click a not very visible "more info" line to get the "install anyway" button).

While it's clearly a false positive, I don't remember this having happened in any previous release.

More generally, I think it would be nice if the official releases had a signature on them, although I am not a developer, just a user, and don't know how this stuff is done or whether there are costs involved, or if it would collide with the licenses.

EDIT: same story today with the 27.1 update.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Mines Malingerer

Post Thursday, 16th September 2021, 17:10

Re: Difficult Installation on Windows 10

Certificates generally cost money.

Blades Runner

Post Saturday, 16th October 2021, 04:43

Re: Difficult Installation on Windows 10

Shtopit wrote:I downloaded the current version, and, when I tried installing it, I got a blue rectangle from a Windows service (WIndows smartscreen, probably) telling me that the program was dangerous and would not be installed. There is a white button with "do not install" written on it, and, at first, no "install anyway" button (you have to click a not very visible "more info" line to get the "install anyway" button).

While it's clearly a false positive, I don't remember this having happened in any previous release.

More generally, I think it would be nice if the official releases had a signature on them, although I am not a developer, just a user, and don't know how this stuff is done or whether there are costs involved, or if it would collide with the licenses.

EDIT: same story today with the 27.1 update.

There should be a rectangle that tells you that Windows is dangerous and a button with "do not install" written on it. I'd trust crawl code more than M$.

I'd think that signed checksum files and using something like GnuPG would work without needing to spend money for certificates. It's all free using open source software. Debian does it that way, For an example how it it works, check out:

https://www.debian.org/CD/verify

For this message the author svendre has received thanks:
andrew

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner