No more elves and kobolds.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 01:53

No more elves and kobolds.

Replace all generic fantasy races and make crawl a unique fantasy universe. Even if it' only renaming the the existing ones at first.
If all the world were apple pie,
And all the sea were ink,
And all the trees were bread and cheese,
I'd still play Dungeon Crawl.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 02:26

Re: No more elves and kobolds.

You'll need to replace more than just elves and kobolds
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Lair Larrikin

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 05:50

Listing them all in the title would have been a bit much, wouldn't it?
If all the world were apple pie,
And all the sea were ink,
And all the trees were bread and cheese,
I'd still play Dungeon Crawl.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 16th September 2020, 23:41

Disagree, anyway. Having at least some recognizably-named species is good for accessibility to newbies.

For this message the author andrew has received thanks:
petercordia

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 17th September 2020, 00:25

I vote we change all race names to snack foods, candy bars for PCs, Devil's food cake for devils, multi-headed gummy worms, and we can have literal popcorn for the early floors...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 5
andrew, Majang, nago, petercordia, runewalsh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th December 2020, 12:53

andrew wrote:Disagree, anyway. Having at least some recognizably-named species is good for accessibility to newbies.
It's also nice for people who aren't new, but just like those previously established things.
"Uniqueness" is not the most valuable thing in the world, and chasing it above all else is not a good idea.

Also understandability is important. I still maintain that"shadow fiend" was a better name than "tzitzimitl", because not only does it connect the monster to other monsters with similar names but also I can actually fucking spell it and search it by name

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks:
Jano

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th December 2020, 13:01

the thoroughly non-generic experience of googling "dcss hells", clicking the wiki page, then clicking on the tartarus link and reading until I find on that page the name of the enemy in order to copy and paste it itt

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 25th December 2020, 16:06

Shard1697 wrote:Also understandability is important. I still maintain that"shadow fiend" was a better name than "tzitzimitl", because not only does it connect the monster to other monsters with similar names but also I can actually fucking spell it and search it by name

And I suppose it supports this point that until just now I was not aware tzitzimmeh were fiends at all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 26th December 2020, 02:55

Shard1697 wrote:
andrew wrote:Disagree, anyway. Having at least some recognizably-named species is good for accessibility to newbies.
It's also nice for people who aren't new, but just like those previously established things.
"Uniqueness" is not the most valuable thing in the world, and chasing it above all else is not a good idea.

Also understandability is important. I still maintain that"shadow fiend" was a better name than "tzitzimitl", because not only does it connect the monster to other monsters with similar names but also I can actually fucking spell it and search it by name

Learn Nahuatl and it'll be easier to spell: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzitzimitl

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks: 2
andrew, Deso

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2021, 06:31

I know what the word comes from, it doesn't really change that it's not a word I would ever use in my day to day life

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 6th January 2021, 16:01

Don't think I've ever referred to kobolds in my day-to-day life either, personally

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 14th January 2021, 21:02

In practice settings that strive to be original end up reinventing orcs and elves. It typically becomes a renaming project.

Githyanki instead of elves, infected for zombies, ogres instead of trolls.

It would be a completely different story if the world was based on a different princinple. For example Spellsinger books had bipedal animals, including with skunk city guards and weasel strippers.

For this message the author b0rsuk has received thanks:
andrew

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner