Innovative ways to die in meatsprint

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 13th February 2020, 18:15

Innovative ways to die in meatsprint

Now, you might be thinking there's loads of ways to die in meatsprint ( http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Arena_of_Blood ), but here are some especially amusing ones I have found while failing to win it.
  1. Lose before you start by being a non-formicid fighter and getting smeared all over the landscape while taking off the shield.
  2. Forget to pick up the Axe of Woe, and realise when you try and punch a bag of meat to death, which doesn't work very well.
  3. Forget to wield the Axe of Woe. Theoretically you can save this one because the first thing you attack might miss its counterattack (Spoiler: it didn't.)
  4. Forget to worship Makhleb. Defeat the first few monsters, come on, god, you can start handing out healing... ah.
  5. Stat gains at level-up require capital letters now, a nice UI improvement - unless you are gaining several levels at once and press D one too many times. You have now dropped the Axe of Woe. Hilarity ensues.
  6. With the Axe it doesn't matter what your primary target is, everything gets cleaved to death, so you may as well just press Tab, right? Not if you are very low on health and have a large bag of meat next to you. It turns out you take the damage from the explosion before Makhleb heals you. Probably should have gone for a bag of meat instead.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

For this message the author damerell has received thanks: 2
Airwolf, chequers

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 13th February 2020, 19:38

Re: Innovative ways to die in meatsprint

7. The first monster you see is a meat berserker. Your last run got quite a long way and you have largely stopped caring that they are fast. Once again, it transpires, you care that they are fast.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 13th February 2020, 22:34

8. I think I tried a few times digging into the walls with a formicid, but some of the monsters also can dig if they want to.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 14th February 2020, 00:18

Shtopit wrote:8. I think I tried a few times digging into the walls with a formicid, but some of the monsters also can dig if they want to.

Oh, yes. You can live quite a long time like that, especially if you dig behind the stone edifice they all teleport into. That's how I came to try learning the starting books. Unfortunately, of course, when you come back out you have used so many turns that the arena is now entirely full of bastards.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 16th February 2020, 14:02

On reflection, I thought that http://crawl.montres.org.uk/morgue/dame ... 192754.txt was quite a pleasing way to end a meatsprint game.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner