A couple game suggestions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 14:04

A couple game suggestions

Both of these games are a little old school, but really fun and engaging. I still play the hell out of them when I get the urge, and I figure someone out there might enjoy them as much as I do.

Wizardy 8. The last of one of the greatest old school RPG series. It has a really unique combat system and a good selection of race and class selection. You can have up to 6 playable characters and 2 NPC slots you can choose to fill if you want. The classes are all pretty well balanced and they all bring something interesting to the table. The world is fairly huge too, for the time. The combat has a strategic feel to it, since it is kinda sorta turn based. Basically you plug in the moves for each of your characters and then everyone moves according to their speed and initiative and all that. It has a cool storyline and is a lot of fun. Also has a hardcore mode that only saves when you exit the game and when you die your files are erased.

Warlords Battlecry 3. This is a RTS type game along the lines of warcraft with a few exceptions. You control a persistent hero created from 16 races and over 20 classes, so you can mix and match as you please. You gather resources like most RTSs, except you do this by converting mines and buildings with your hero and some units. You then create miners according to race to place in the mines to increase production. It's a nice change of pace from the micro involved in most other games like this. You find armor and weapons to use and there are sets that give bonuses and stuff when you complete them and all. It gets a little random but you should be used to that from playing DCSS. It has a hardcore mode also. Your characters level up twice as fast, but when they die that's it. Oh and it has a pretty decent community that still comes out with unofficial patches.

Anyways, just thought someone might find these as fun as I do.

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Sunday, 25th September 2011, 14:21

Re: A couple game suggestions

I'll check those out when I don't have a ton of work to do. I used to play this telnet game that was ONLY text based. It was open though so PvP did exist somewhat. Dying wasn't permanent but it was a huge pain in the ass. I can't remember what it was called but I'll search through old bookmarks and maybe find it. God I wish I remembered the name...

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 03:56

Konebred wrote:Wizardy 8. The last of one of the greatest old school RPG series. It has a really unique combat system and a good selection of race and class selection. You can have up to 6 playable characters and 2 NPC slots you can choose to fill if you want. The classes are all pretty well balanced and they all bring something interesting to the table. The world is fairly huge too, for the time. The combat has a strategic feel to it, since it is kinda sorta turn based. Basically you plug in the moves for each of your characters and then everyone moves according to their speed and initiative and all that. It has a cool storyline and is a lot of fun. Also has a hardcore mode that only saves when you exit the game and when you die your files are erased.

I'll totally back you up on this one. Wizardry 8 is one of my favorite computer RPGs, and I still come back to it every year or two just to play through it again. It did a great job of keeping the fun parts of the later Wizardry series (the classic "old school" feel, the wide open world, all the character options/stats/gear) while getting rid of the worst parts (lack of class balance, having to endure 2+ hours of random stat rolls to make a Ninja instead being allowed to just fucking pick one, etc). You forgot to mention it was also one of the very few "make your own party" games ever that gave your characters any hint of personality. Granted, it wasn't very deep, you just picked a personality type for each and they made random throwaway quips every now and then, but it was an inspired touch and added to the replay value.

It's sad that there won't be any more Wizardry games, but at least the series ended on such a good note (unlike Ultima...)

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 26th September 2011, 04:22

Wizardy 8 isn't on abandonia :( Anyone know if its abandonware? I refuse to pirate and its highly unlikely I'd pay for this game, but if I can get it morally/ethically/legally for free then I'd give it a try.
KoboldLord wrote:I'm also morbidly curious now as to how Shatter is abusable for 'stealth tricks'. It's about as stealthy as the Kool-Aid Man smashing through the walls and running through the room

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 18:48

bobross419 wrote:Wizardy 8 isn't on abandonia :( Anyone know if its abandonware? I refuse to pirate and its highly unlikely I'd pay for this game, but if I can get it morally/ethically/legally for free then I'd give it a try.

Frankly I'd just pony up the 5 bucks to get it on GoG. Not only does that support a website that keeps the kinds of games we like, but if you have to spend an hour of looking + configuring a dosbox + patching + whathaveyou then you are basically working for less than minimum wage.

You'd spend that much going to the cheap theater, and frankly I'd think you have more fun with the game.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 27th September 2011, 20:03

I don't see Wizardry on GoG.

In any case, I don't see the problem with pirating it since the company that made it is out of business anyway.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner