Divine Exegesis: I heard you like big spells

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2019, 07:56

Divine Exegesis: I heard you like big spells

Sif Rework Part 4: Add a Divine Exegesis ability

Sif currently has one active that uses piety, Channel Energy, an ability
that becomes more about convenience than power as the game progresses
since players get access to a large MP pool. This commit adds a powerful
new active to help Sif be relevant at the middle and late portions of
the game and to help cement her role as the more active magical god
counterpart to the more passive Vehumet.

The Divine Exegesis ability allows casting any spell in the player's
library with 100% success and with a spell power bonus of 1.5 x
Invocations skill in addition to any spell-power coming from Int,
Spellcasting, and any training in the spell schools of the spell. Thus
players can cast a spell that normally has a 100% fail rate due to no or
little training in the relevant skills. Divine Exegesis is granted at 4*
and has a high piety cost of 12, meaning several uses of the ability is
likely to bring a player under 4*. The ability will be useful to a wide
variety of spell using characters, granting limited access to high level
spells that normally remain totally inaccessible behind high skill
requirements.

The ability is surely more interesting than passive protection.
However I'm curious how it will balance around some OP emergency spells - namely CBlink, Bjorg and Death's Door.
I suppose, barring the high spell slots cost. virtually any ^Sif char will want to have one or two of those spells always learned.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2019, 08:22

Re: Divine Exegesis: I heard you like big spells

It looks that you can cast any spell in the "library", not just the memorized spells.

Seems ok. It costs a ton of piety and Sif piety gain is pretty slow to begin with.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2019, 14:07

I'd like something like this.
Specifically, being able to cast out of your spell library, with a bit of extra wiz.
The current iteration of your proposal has the flaw that you'd almost always use it for the same spells - controlled teleport, DDoor, things like that, quite regardless of the character.
I think it would be more fun if it gave a finite wiz bonus, so that the spells you could use it for should depend on your character build. It shouldn't consume piety or mp if it miscasts though. That would make the fail behaviour similar to Step From Time.
Also, I'd like the piety cost to scale with spell level cubed. That way it would sometimes be worth using on low-level utility spells like Yara's, Apportion and Invisibility, as well as to go all-out with something like Dragon's Call / DDoor.

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2019, 14:45

I tried it as an HO warrior who never trained magic. I used Summon Horrible Things at D:10. And I used a Discord at The Spider's Nest.
Sif HO(Horrible Things).png
Sif HO(Horrible Things).png (161.94 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

Sif HO(Discord).png
Sif HO(Discord).png (295.13 KiB) Viewed 2742 times

But that was last week. When a power limit 5*. plus 1.85% spell power per invocation level. IMHO it would be better not to use mp. This method is more useful for warriors and for skald. Because, over time, the only benefit a wizard can get from it is the spell power. Giving 40 to a warrior with zero spell power is a big difference, but it is not a significant difference for 80 to be 120. In other words, this makes the impossible possible for the warrior, but at the same time, it only makes the wizard better at what he can. Well, from a point of view, it's enough to be called a magic god in that it gives magic to those who can't use it.
How about increasing and decreasing the piety consumption in proportion to the spell power or spell casting?

EDIT: Well, the channel magic and new power were stronger than I thought. I'll play a little more and evaluate it again.

Vestibule Violator

Post Wednesday, 26th June 2019, 16:15

For clarity, '1.5 Invocations spellpower boost' means that it's added into the spellpower calculation at the same time as your spell schools. This value will be multiplied by your int factor and by your enhancers, and then stepped down if over 50.
Usual account: pblur on kelbi

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 2nd July 2019, 15:28

I played VaEn with a rework Sif(3rune win). http://lazy-life.ddo.jp:8080/morgue/sdynet/morgue-sdynet-20190702-123537.txt
sif.png
sif.png (42.38 KiB) Viewed 2528 times

I used the Divine Exegesis as follows.
Discord: Lv10-12, Lv13-15
Firestorm: Lv13-15
Controlled Blink: Lv16-18
Dragon's call: Lv22-24(two)

Well, what I used and felt was subtle. It was useful when using Controlled Blink and Dragon's call, but other than that, it didn't feel necessary. Of course, that's a powerful force in itself, but as far as I know Sif is not the god of Summonings and Translocations.
I think There are two problems. First, the cost is inefficient unless the 9 level spell is used. Second, the wizard's exp does not reflect. A firestorm with a significant increase in spelling power does not solve the situation. Frankly speaking, the real name of this power is 'Controlled Blink or Dragon's call'. IMHO you should add spellcasting or probability of spell failure to this formula. This either regulates the cost, or changes this force into a buff format and affects the duration time.
For example, The cost is affected by the level of the spell. And the higher the spellcasting, the lower the cost.
Another example, Unlearned spell cannot be used. This power becomes a buff. The duration decreases whenever magic is used(The higher the spell level used, the bigger it is). The higher the invocation and spellcasting, the longer the duration increases.
If this is not the case, we can use another method. Anyway, this power need to change.

For this message the author sdynet has received thanks: 2
nago, petercordia

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner