Survey: What do you think of the depth of hell now?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 24th May 2019, 13:37

Survey: What do you think of the depth of hell now?

https://forms.gle/Hn3mzheHG1zJW3zf9

I'd like to know your opinion of the depths of hell. The results of the survey will probably be posted in a week or two.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 24th May 2019, 15:47

Re: Survey: What do you think of the depth of hell now?

In present form it's too long so that's what I voted. If we *are* going to have 7 floors, I'd like to see some meaningful difference between 1-6. I think shaving floor count is the more straightforward option though.

The floor 7 layouts are pretty cool.

For this message the author TheMeInTeam has received thanks:
runewalsh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 24th May 2019, 21:01

I didn't understand the survey options, but I voted anyway, of course.

My preferred Hell layout would be nine floors, with runes on 3,5,7,9. Make whatever other changes are needed to keep the difficulty high, such as removing the quick escape stairs up.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 24th May 2019, 22:05

I quite like Hell, because it stops you from resetting fights all the time without making you do anything dangerous.
If Hell branches were shortened, this would greatly reduce the cost of resetting fights, thus removing the thing that makes Hell interesting to me.
I like the quick escapes up, because (unlike Pan) Hell doesn't feel dangerous because of them. If you ever get into trouble in Hell it's your own fault (mostly).

That said, I almost always lose interest in Hell after doing one of the Hell branches. I like being able to choose which branch of Hell to enter based on my character though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 25th May 2019, 00:40

I couldn't answer the survey (I don't want to log in somewhere else to answer a Tavern poll), but I feel 7 levels is too much, 3 would be just fine.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 26th May 2019, 05:15

Login restrictions were lifted due to poor participation. I ask everyone to participate.

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 27th May 2019, 04:23

While I understand the reason behind current design, hell takes f o r e v e r, ontop of Pan already taking so long. The cost of resetting still isn't that significant, because you can just walk back in perfectly fine, it's not as though maps reset or anything. Pan already takes long enough, 29 floors of Hell ontop of it just ensures you're bored by the end.

Just hearing that hell has TWENTY NINE FLOORS should be a good way to realize it's a bit much. It also helps drown your character in immense excess of EXP, and characters doing hell are generally strong enough to treat most of the enemies as popcorn. (There are a few exceptions for sure.)

Shorten hell and increase spawn rate of the more dangerous enemies?

For this message the author Tumalu has received thanks:
nago

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 28th May 2019, 14:40

Thing is you can always go back to vestibule. Yes, it's annoying to go back through the floors but you start to get a consistent path and then only need to clear the occasional extra enemies. So it doesn't really stop you from resetting, rather you spend more IRL time and some extra turns to do it. For anybody with proper resists and enough patience to bail multiple times per branch it's rare to die before the rune floor. I don't see much upside to the longish grind. IMO it's this type of busywork that makes extended less popular.

Blades Runner

Post Friday, 31st May 2019, 02:02

Let's go with 666

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 31st May 2019, 02:24

Here's another idea for the hells: each is only one floor, but all monsters respawn if you leave and re-enter. Hell effects could be removed too, perhaps.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
sdynet

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 31st May 2019, 03:08

Seems obvious that the filler hell floors have no real purpose unless you make them more difficult in some way. The hell monster spawn set is really, really bad btw - there's an incredible amount of trash spawns in the tables. Hell/pan roulette with a harder spawn table in hell is probably enough to make 7 floor hells "alright" but it might still be a little long. I think randomized single hell branch plus an enhanced spawn table might be interesting too. Since there's probably a lot of inertia for maintaining 15 runes as the maximum, I guess I should say that any of the shortened or combined hell proposals that have been floated here are definite improvements over the status quo.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner