New Background Idea: Antiquity Knight

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 26th April 2019, 14:29

New Background Idea: Antiquity Knight

Here's something I came up with relatively quickly. I'd like to see a couple more Zealots, and Hepliak is a god I find very fun. Thoughts?

Begins worshiping Hepliaklqana.

Starting Equipment
+0 vorpal weapon of choice (short sword, mace, hand axe, falchion or spear) or unarmed
+0 robe
Ration
One random scroll

Starting Skills and Stats
Fighting: 2
Chosen Weapon's Skill: 4
Armor: 1
Dodging: 2
+7 Strength
+4 Dexterity
+1 Intelligence

Here it is. I wasn't sure whether it'd be better if the stats given were more general and less fighter-oriented, but I don't find playing Hepliak as a caster quite as fun (ancestor getting in the way and all that) so I thought it'd be better to do it this way. Not like it matters much, since it's just a thrown-together idea, but I like to come up with things that could potentially actually work.

I like the sound of the name, but there are already two classes that are named "knight". Best I could come up with in a short period of time, but I'm sure there's a better one.
Relatively new to Crawl, and willing to help development in any way I can.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 26th April 2019, 14:54

Re: New Background Idea: Antiquity Knight

-very too strong (ancestor XL1)
-hep is a god with ally, Death Knight was a Zealot worshipping Yred

i personally don't like either of the gods and don't think this would add much to crawl

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 26th April 2019, 15:04

FWIW, if you want to try Hep with a caster, try a FE and use inner flame on your ancestor :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
MisterPersonMan

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 26th April 2019, 15:13

Octopode-monk-of-XOM wrote:-very too strong (ancestor XL1)
-hep is a god with ally, Death Knight was a Zealot worshipping Yred

i personally don't like either of the gods and don't think this would add much to crawl

Like I said, this is something I threw together. I could easily just change some things if it's too powerful in early game. I thought that cutting 10% of HP when you're at your most vulnerable, as well as starting with a robe when the background is obviously weighted towards melee fighters, would be enough to balance for the early game; but perhaps I'm incorrect. Maybe the vorpal brand was too much?
Relatively new to Crawl, and willing to help development in any way I can.

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 26th April 2019, 17:05

If there is any Zealot background i'd want it would be Slime Knight.

For this message the author acoolguy has received thanks: 5
Abominae, PseudoLoneWolf, sdynet, TheMeInTeam, Vanguardan

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 27th April 2019, 01:32

MisterPersonMan wrote: I thought that cutting 10% of HP when you're at your most vulnerable, as well as starting with a robe when the background is obviously weighted towards melee fighters, would be enough to balance for the early game; but perhaps I'm incorrect. Maybe the vorpal brand was too much?

You're not cutting 10% HP because your ancestor has HP.
(p.s. this is stupid some dev please make it not stupid) - minmay

For this message the author sardonica has received thanks:
nago

Zot Zealot

Post Sunday, 28th April 2019, 09:27

Zealot backgrounds are usually justified by saying "the game plays meaningfully differently for characters that start with this god compared to starting atheist and finding a the god in temple". Berserker starts with Berserk, which trivialises much of the early game. AK starts in the abyss. CK starts with Xom (and so is a special case). How is starting with Hep meaningfully different?

Abyss Ambulator

Post Sunday, 28th April 2019, 15:39

checkers: I do not think your proposed logic applies to Berserkers. I do not think that the first ability of Trog is that different from many other God's first ability -- if starting with berserk is so different from getting it later, then starting with an ancestor, starting with heroism, etc. is also different from not starting with them.

I think that the logic behind Trog allowed as a starting god is simply that it used to be so, and it is popular, crawl needs an easy and relatively simple start for beginners (Trog forbids magic), and most importantly, we do not need a second such class with a different god -- one exception to the rule is enough.

I also do not think that AK starting in the abyss is that important - the best action is to leave it almost immediately anyway. It could be important if you think it of as an opportunity for a challenge: remain in the Abyss. This makes sense for CK as well, since Xom early is even worse than Xom later: so CK is a challenge class. And this logic could be applied to any god where starting with them gives an opportunity for an extra challenge: Chei and Quazlal.

The logic behind AK also could be that it is hard to get a Lugonu altar. But then why we can't start with Jiyva as well.

Of course, most likely the set of starting gods are mostly arbitrary heritage, and it does not make sense to search for a common reason.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 3
acoolguy, duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 29th April 2019, 07:18

Slime Knight has been proposed several times before (by me too), but the dev response has always been "not going to happen". I would be happy with just making Jiyva a temple god (or even just ensuring a Jiyva altar in D).

Anyway, in my understanding the probability of getting a new zealot background to happen rounds to 0%.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
nago

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 4th May 2019, 18:19

I'm a big fan of any and all new Zealot classes. This seems like a fun idea - not so sure about the random scroll, though, since you're sort of encroaching on Wanderer design space at that point.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 6th May 2019, 18:23

acoolguy wrote:If there is any Zealot background i'd want it would be Slime Knight.

This one has a real, meaningful downside too.

In contrast to death knight I don't think Paladin needed to go, TSO is one of the weaker gods in the early dungeon so having him from "go" wouldn't lead to the kind of absurdity you'd have with a D:1 ancestor or fast access to derived undead en masse. Though when he was removed crawl was a pretty different game so maybe it was stronger back then.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 6th May 2019, 20:25

TSO doing nothing in the early dungeon is exactly why Paladin was removed.

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 6th May 2019, 21:06

TSO doesn't do "nothing" though. It's just weaker than alternatives, initially. This is offset by having access to the benefits quickly, and having a good late game.

Accuracy is more important early on before weapon skill gets improved, similarly the extra SH is not nearly as beneficial as heroism but it's still significant enough to matter especially in early-mid dungeon where corridors are still easy to reach consistently.

Compared to stuff like Yred/Hep/Kiku/Nemelex type stuff it wouldn't be gamebreaking either.

Another nasty one would be Chei. No point looking for that early pillar then and would be pretty miserable, though I suppose the turn count hunters would like it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner