Dedicated hardware

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 12th April 2019, 18:54

Dedicated hardware

I wanted to play crawl on the go (like during commute), so I built my own little portable computer with full keyboard. This is a second version, the first one was even uglier :-D. Still rough at the edges (sometimes litearally), but good enough for its intended purpose.

So, I just want to brag :-D. Check it out, let me know what you think. Anyone else doing this? Is there a better way?

P.S. I do prefer ASCII. I do like offline play (and my commute involves tunnels).

sm_IMG_4722.JPG
sm_IMG_4722.JPG (296.92 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
sm_IMG_4737.JPG
sm_IMG_4737.JPG (247.57 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

For this message the author vlish has received thanks: 5
chequers, Ge0ff, ichbins, nago, Shtopit

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 12th April 2019, 23:01

Re: Dedicated hardware

Put in a coin slot that you have to pay for every time you want to start a new game :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 13th April 2019, 10:30

Really, really nice :D Does it only play Crawl, or did you add other functions?

Siegurt wrote:Put in a coin slot that you have to pay for every time you want to start a new game :)

Oh yea, that would be so cool! You know that whole thing, where to spare money you should put a few coins everyday in a jar, and when you have enough you can buy that thing you would otherwise have immediately bought, in spite of not needing it right away?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Mines Malingerer

Post Saturday, 13th April 2019, 12:05

On that note ... what else have/do people use to play Crawl when on the move? My laptop is just a bit too bulky on the train/bus.

My issue is that I need a full keyboard with the NumPad keys ... I just cannot get the hang of the alpha keys for movement, and every time I try I end up moving in the wrong way, and we all know that one false move in Crawl can be fatal :)
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 15th April 2019, 05:32

Shtopit wrote:Really, really nice :D Does it only play Crawl, or did you add other functions?

It is a full-blown raspberry pi computer running linux, so it can do a lot more. However, I use it for crawl only. That was kind of the point of the device :)

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 15th April 2019, 05:37

zedzed wrote:On that note ... what else have/do people use to play Crawl when on the move? My laptop is just a bit too bulky on the train/bus.

That was exactly my reason for building the thing - the laptop is too bulky. I know someone created an android fork but I believe it requires a rooted phone/tablet. Besides that, I am not sure I would like virtual on-screen keyboard with crawl.

zedzed wrote:My issue is that I need a full keyboard with the NumPad keys ... I just cannot get the hang of the alpha keys for movement, and every time I try I end up moving in the wrong way, and we all know that one false move in Crawl can be fatal :)

Before I built the device from the original post (which btw has the numpad) I played crawl on a laptop and had the same problem. I ended up using number keys (the top linear row) for movement - it was not a hard or long process to get used to them.

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 15th April 2019, 05:38

Siegurt wrote:Put in a coin slot that you have to pay for every time you want to start a new game :)

Permadeath means I will have to lug around a lot of coins which would defeat the purpose of a light-weight device :-D

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 15th April 2019, 05:38

Very cool. What is the battery life like? What did the build cost you? Does the system just boot up and automatically launch crawl?

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 15th April 2019, 13:41

Cool! How much did the components cost? How much can it store?
Relatively new to Crawl, and willing to help development in any way I can.

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2019, 05:33

chequers wrote:Very cool. What is the battery life like? What did the build cost you? Does the system just boot up and automatically launch crawl?

Thanks, the most expensive component is screen which is ~$40 on Amazon and ~$20 on Alibaba. This particular build utilizes a quite expensive ($20?) Adafruit boost/charge controller because I had one at hand; but I also tried a dirt-cheap Alibaba controller and it works equally well. Then there is a $5-10 raspberry pi, the keyboard and various small/cheap components. So, maybe $40–$80 depending on the components?..

As for battery life, I use a 2500 mAh lipo battery which lasts for about 3 hours for me, but there is a lot of free space so I could put a bigger battery if needed. In fact, for one of the early experiments I used two beefy 18650 batteries and measured ~30 hours of continuous idling iirc.

The system takes a minute or two to boot up and launches crawl automatically. The start up time could be optimized but I never bothered.

For this message the author vlish has received thanks: 2
chequers, tasonir

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 17th April 2019, 05:40

MisterPersonMan wrote:Cool! How much did the components cost? How much can it store?

See my reply above for rough cost estimate: $40-80.

As for storage, assuming you mean "disk" space, it is whatever microsd you put into it. I happen to use a 16Gb one, which is an overkill for the task.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner