Merge DD and Vampire

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th March 2019, 14:56

Merge DD and Vampire

This was already hinted at in another thread, but I'm going to post it as a separate topic. I don't dare put this in GDD, though, at least not yet :)

The interesting part of DD is no heal. The interesting part of Vampire is the bloodless part. So let's combine these into one.

Mountain Dwarves haven been buried for a long time. Now they are returning from death as Evil Mountain Dwarves! (That's _three_ birds with one stone.)

EMDs are like bloodless vampires (vampire apts, especially the +5 stealth must stay, maybe improve Axes though), except they don't gain nutrition by biting, they drain life instead. This drain life ability is the only way to gain HP for them. Potions of blood no longer exist.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th March 2019, 15:03

Re: Merge DD and Vampire

Sprucery wrote:The interesting part of DD is no heal.

Really? Do players think "I want to play a species which does not heal so I will play DD?"
Personally I think something like "I want to play an easy game with a guy in heavy armour who cannot be killed easily. Maybe DD? No, I will play Mi/HO as I don't want to bother with annoying lack of healing and play Makhleb again"
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
Rast, RoGGa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th March 2019, 07:09

By interesting I mean "the defining feature which makes the species different from others".

Do people think "I want to play a species which can not drink so I'll play a Mummy"? I doubt it, yet the inability to quaff is imo the most interesting part of mummies.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th March 2019, 07:42

Sprucery wrote:By interesting I mean "the defining feature which makes the species different from others".

I believe there are 2 kinds of players who play DD:
1) speedrunners (both real-time and turn). Lack of healing is "interesting" and defining feature for them indeed.
2) players who just want to play DD because of lore or power level. For them lack of healing is not that interesting.

Do people think "I want to play a species which can not drink so I'll play a Mummy"? I doubt it, yet the inability to quaff is imo the most interesting part of mummies.

Well, when I played Mu I did it due to one of the following reasons:
1) I wanted to play a hard (the hardest?) species. It does not matter if it is caused by poor aptitudes, HP penalty, lack of armour slots, being unable to teleport etc.
2) I wanted to cast high level spells early game without having to eat during fights
3) I wanted to avoid any clocks (piety, food) to play as comfortably/slowly as I want
4) I wanted to have easy time in extended
I cannot imagine a player who wants to play a species without ability to quaff potions, after all it can be easily achieved with any species by self-imposed conduct and can be seen in actions table of morgue file.

I guess we just have different preferences and being "interesting" or not is determined by those preferences.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Barkeep

Post Thursday, 7th March 2019, 15:24

I would not make Drain Life an ability, because spamming abilities to heal sounds terrible. I'd just make them heal on kills.

In general, I think making DD into an undead-ish species that heals this way makes sense.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 14th March 2019, 23:54

Giving DD vampiric healing would be like current DD when you find a vampiric weapon. I'm afraid it'd just be too easy and become a tabfest. Maybe there's a way to balance it well, but it seems like it'd probably be too strong.

It'd also encourage stashing some monsters somewhere in case a fight goes terribly, you can go back up to them, heal, and try the bad fight again (or skip past it).

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner