unfortunate one-shot

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 13:56

unfortunate one-shot

I had a promising summoner one-shotted by a komodo dragon who appeared to attack twice in 1 aut. Can anyone tell me how this could happen?

I was wielding a shield and a dagger, was at >60 hp, attacked the dragon, and the next turn I was dead. As I understand it, attacking with a dagger takes 1.0 action, and a dragon attacking also takes 1.0 actions? Below is the message log:

Code:
You puncture the komodo dragon! You burn the komodo dragon.
The komodo dragon is heavily wounded.
The komodo dragon bites you!!
A manticore comes into view.
Your ice beast hits the komodo dragon but does no damage.
Your ice beast barely misses the komodo dragon.
The komodo dragon bites you!!
You die...

In case it helps: [url]underhound.eu/crawl/morgue/petercordia3/morgue-petercordia3-20190206-011309.txt[/url]

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 14:12

Re: unfortunate one-shot

Shield slows down melee attack unless you have high enough level in Shields skill.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 14:24

And there is also speed 10 monster suddenly closing up on distance, or hitting you with a weapon in a retreat. How exactly do these work?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 14:26

Movement delay is randomized, so that occasionally a speed 10 monster gets two actions in a row (and occasionally you).
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 14:37

Thank you. But can you be even more precise? As far as I can remember, my movement delay is always shown as 1.0 in normal circumstances; does that mean only monsters' delay is randomized? If so, what is the probability distribution?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 14:47

Code:
Monsters normally get to take a number of monster turns per player turn based on their speed: fast monsters act more often, slow act less. However, the game will occasionally and randomly give enemies 90% or 110% of the amount of time they should get, allowing you to occasionally gain a tile of distance between yourself and an equal speed pursuer, or to allow a pursuing enemy to occasionally attack you as you flee.

http://crawl.chaosforge.org/Energy_randomisation

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th February 2019, 03:07

Some terms: Aut is absolute unit of time, and it is NOT the same as a turn. There are 10 auts in a turn. An action means the results of some command which takes time, regardless of how long it took; it is NOT a measure of time.

Swinging a dagger is always one action. But it isn't always one turn. In fact it's rarely one turn; if you have any dagger skill it'll probably be much faster. Having no dagger skill and wearing a shield can make it take more than one action, though, and that's probably what happened here. Technically the time system keeps track of the 'energy' of each monster, so let's say the komodo dragon had 9. It takes 10 energy to perform an action, you attack with a speed of 11 auts, so the komodo dragon gains 11 energy, and then performs two actions. If the monster was something else which wasn't speed 10, like a black mamba, then it would gain 11 * 1.8 energy (they're 18 speed). I'm not sure how rounding works, there may be some inaccuracies here, but more or less. I haven't ever really studied the time system in detail, but I know it well enough to play Chei characters in statue form, which does require knowing it a bit better than most other, fast characters :)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 7th February 2019, 05:48

Monster cannot attack twice due to energy randomization, it always uses its normal attack speed. What happened here is that dagger attack took more than 10 auts (11-13 with normal shield) and the monster attacked twice in that period with 10 auts between attacks.

Temple Termagant

Post Thursday, 7th February 2019, 08:33

Thanks a lot guys! I always want to look into the source code for details, but have no idea where exactly to dive into everytime. Is there a guide or something for that?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner