Why is there two keys for entering stairs?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 08:58

Why is there two keys for entering stairs?

There are a few things, as fairly new players, that I find really annoying.

1 - Why do I have to press > to go down and < to go up?

As far as I know there are no bi-directional stair options. And why don't we use a key that makes a bit more sense for such a common key? I have to hold down shift as well, which is annoying. I mean if you drop the separate up/down key requirements you can also make it something more rational like ENTER or SPACE.

2 - Weapon sets are not obvious and kinda clunky.

I really never used ranged items apart from stones for a little bit at the start, because I disliked going through the process of equipping and equipping ranged stuff each fight and there was nothing obvious about how this could change. Its it not thrown, I didn't bother. Sure, now I've found that you can go into an 'adjust' menu, go into adjusting items, select the item you want as slot 1, change it to a, then repeat for slot two and change it to b. Then I can use the ' key. Great, I think? How many uses are there for the 'adjust' command on items? I mean couldn't we essentially just put a dedicated link for this purpose on the item description instead of the 'adjust'. I mean, why the word 'Adjust' anyway, wouldn't 'Assign' be more appropriate and probably more of a hint?

3 - X mode takes a lot of key presses to get to what I want to look at

I'm not really interested in looking at ground tiles, when I press X its to look at a monster. But it always starts in a freelook mode, instead of a monster/item lock mode. Essentially I need to know more keys to know how to make that process quick, but I dont see why its not just default.

4 - Quickbar Icons in Tiles are _tiny_, and not being taken advantage of

The interface icons for some of these features in the tiles UI is a good idea, but ultimately its WAY to small and fiddly and mouse play is clumsy as heck because of it. Also, why don't they describe what the Keyboard shortcut is on the tooltip? Surely there should be on there. If it was I would of been able to know SO MUCH more just by navigating that little UI and not reading walls of text and online resources.

Thanks for reading. Sorry if it comes off gruff, as I LOVE the game but just am frustrated by its clunkyness. I see its power with macros and inscribes and wouldn't want to change that basic 'advanced' speed user, but I just want a bone to those of us who are not so game literate.

Dungeon Master

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 10:59

Re: Why is there two keys for entering stairs?

blightor wrote:1 - Why do I have to press > to go down and < to go up?
As far as I know there are no bi-directional stair options. And why don't we use a key that makes a bit more sense for such a common key? I have to hold down shift as well, which is annoying. I mean if you drop the separate up/down key requirements you can also make it something more rational like ENTER or SPACE.

Shift-G and Shift-X are the most common uses of separate stair keys. If you press Shift-G then a stair key, your character will attempt to take the nearest stairs that matches the given direction. Without a separate key you'd have to manually find a staircase and step on it. Shift-X has a similar feature that lets you cycle through stairs of the given direction using the corresponding command.

blightor wrote:2 - Weapon sets are not obvious and kinda clunky.

I really never used ranged items apart from stones for a little bit at the start, because I disliked going through the process of equipping and equipping ranged stuff each fight and there was nothing obvious about how this could change. Its it not thrown, I didn't bother. Sure, now I've found that you can go into an 'adjust' menu, go into adjusting items, select the item you want as slot 1, change it to a, then repeat for slot two and change it to b. Then I can use the ' key. Great, I think? How many uses are there for the 'adjust' command on items? I mean couldn't we essentially just put a dedicated link for this purpose on the item description instead of the 'adjust'. I mean, why the word 'Adjust' anyway, wouldn't 'Assign' be more appropriate and probably more of a hint?

= is the dedicated adjust key and it's mentioned when you examine an item. You can use it to adjust the keys for spells and abilities on top of items.

blightor wrote:3 - X mode takes a lot of key presses to get to what I want to look at

I'm not really interested in looking at ground tiles, when I press X its to look at a monster. But it always starts in a freelook mode, instead of a monster/item lock mode. Essentially I need to know more keys to know how to make that process quick, but I dont see why its not just default.

Players (especially console players) may be interested in looking at tiles other than monsters. By having the cursor start in a known and predictable location, it saves the amount of time on average required to reach a specific square.

blightor wrote:4 - Quickbar Icons in Tiles are _tiny_, and not being taken advantage of

The interface icons for some of these features in the tiles UI is a good idea, but ultimately its WAY to small and fiddly and mouse play is clumsy as heck because of it. Also, why don't they describe what the Keyboard shortcut is on the tooltip? Surely there should be on there. If it was I would of been able to know SO MUCH more just by navigating that little UI and not reading walls of text and online resources.

The game *does* display the keyboard shortcut on the tooltip. If you hover over a command and leave the mouse idle for a few seconds, a blue tooltip will appear with the keyboard command in brackets.

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 13:49

Try using G> when you want to go down, or X>.> when you want to go down a specific staircase - it's actually quite convenient.

blightor wrote:3 - X mode takes a lot of key presses to get to what I want to look at

You can cycle through the mosters in 'x' mode using =. So press x==== to see all the monsters. I can't imagine a way this could be made even faster. Might be nice if they also implement this for X mode I guess.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Wednesday, 6th February 2019, 14:52

CanOfWorms wrote:

Shift-G and Shift-X are the most common uses of separate stair keys. If you press Shift-G then a stair key, your character will attempt to take the nearest stairs that matches the given direction. Without a separate key you'd have to manually find a staircase and step on it. Shift-X has a similar feature that lets you cycle through stairs of the given direction using the corresponding command.

It doesnt really answer my question, rather just adds to the list of keys. I mean sure why not keep the Shift-G+ > < to FIND up or down stairs - no problems - its a command sequence. Why do I have to type it on the main map when I'm sitting on the map and want to enter the stairs?

CanOfWorms wrote:
blightor wrote:2 - Weapon sets are not obvious and kinda clunky.

= is the dedicated adjust key and it's mentioned when you examine an item. You can use it to adjust the keys for spells and abilities on top of items.

I understand that = is the dedicated key for Adjust - What I am saying that Adjust is not an obvious way to change declare 2 weapon sets, (and the knowledge that it needs to be A and B slots in the item list). understand why you would use an Adjust, perhaps you want to hot swap something you use in multiple macros rather than making new macros. But honestly, it just seems so obtuse to have such a common Quality of Life feature like a weapon set be hidden down in its depths.

CanOfWorms wrote:

Players (especially console players) may be interested in looking at tiles other than monsters. By having the cursor start in a known and predictable location, it saves the amount of time on average required to reach a specific square.

Yeah I guess so, not being one of them I dont know. I do watch plenty of vids of players games though, and its rare I see them do anything but look at monsters, or shortcut to other things (like the aforementioned stairs) - just seems like you might as well auto-lock to the nearest monster from the outset. But fair enough.

CanOfWorms wrote:
blightor wrote:4 - Quickbar Icons in Tiles are _tiny_, and not being taken advantage of

The game *does* display the keyboard shortcut on the tooltip. If you hover over a command and leave the mouse idle for a few seconds, a blue tooltip will appear with the keyboard command in brackets.

!!! I can't believe I haven't bothered waiting on it, or actually more likely just reading the text on the left box as before the tooltip appeared on the right. If only I had seen that bloody thing. Thank-you very much.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 8th February 2019, 05:24

blightor wrote:
CanOfWorms wrote:

It doesnt really answer my question, rather just adds to the list of keys. I mean sure why not keep the Shift-G+ > < to FIND up or down stairs - no problems - its a command sequence. Why do I have to type it on the main map when I'm sitting on the map and want to enter the stairs?

G and <> don't find stairs, they use them (but with G <> and X <> existing, using <> to actually use the stairs does offer a degree of consistency). But I think a more obvious point is that using stairs is not a common key, compared to (say) checking one's inventory, or casting a spell. Having to use shift to use stairs is hardly an onerous requirement - and there are circumstances where you might be glad the game distinguished up and down.
blightor wrote:I understand that = is the dedicated key for Adjust - What I am saying that Adjust is not an obvious way to change declare 2 weapon sets, (and the knowledge that it needs to be A and B slots in the item list).

Can you please explain what you mean by a "weapon set"? I can't even parse "change declare 2 weapon sets".
blightor wrote:Yeah I guess so, not being one of them I dont know. I do watch plenty of vids of players games though, and its rare I see them do anything but look at monsters, or shortcut to other things (like the aforementioned stairs) - just seems like you might as well auto-lock to the nearest monster from the outset. But fair enough.

You normally want to look at the most distant monster - the one that just appeared on the scene - not the nearest, which perhaps if it was worth xv-ing you did already. But having pressed 'x', it's one keystroke to cycle monsters; you can use x in either "monster lock" or "freelook" mode, as you please; as such I'm not sure I understand the complaint.
Ascension reports with too many words since 2016.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner