Just a Few Spell Ideas

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dis Charger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 12:44

Just a Few Spell Ideas

• Force Lasso -Translocations/Conjurations (5) - Single Target. Medium Damage; pulls the target towards the player. How far the target is pulled depends on spellpower; range of the spell depends on spellpower. Great for herding Yaks. (Anti Ranged-Creature tool for Warpers; damage is weaker than Force Lance; beam targeted.).
  • Bolt of Stunning - Hexes/Conjurations (5) - Significantly weaker than other bolts. Causes temporary 'stun' status. Stunning allows for single confusion-level stab; lowers EV and causes the creature to skip 1-2 actions. No MR Check. Stunned creatures cannot be stunned again for several turns (similar limitation to Sleep).
  • Innervate - Fire (2) - Smite targeted, cancels slow, paralyze, Sleep and weak statuses. (No you can't unparalyze yourself).
  • Soothe - Fire (3) - HP/3 vs Spellpower check. If successful the target is made friendly (like a freed slave) for several turns. Intended for similar Utility to Teleport Other; but different spellschool and HP instead of MR check.
  • Hearth - Summoning/Fire (3) - Creates an 8 that casts a cleave targeted Heal Wounds for d4-d8 (depending on spellpower) for 8-15 turns (depending on spellpower).
  • Summon Phoenix - Summoning/Fire (7) - Summons the powerful support creature "Phoenix". Phoenixes will constantly attempt to heal natural allies in LoS. On death they leave a cloud 'soothing flame', which heals the living, damages the Undead and has no effect on demons. (Their 'heal other' for 1d8 can make them more powerful than Regen for healing, but they don't last that long and have a chance of doing something other than healing, including melee and B.Fire.)
  • Tentacle Arm - Transmutations (4) - Allows the player Constrict with their offhand. Melds shields. Causes 2H weapons to be dropped. (Mutually exclusive with all other 'forms'; intended to pair with 1H weapon instead of UC. Cannot be cast if Ru removed the hand.)

Two thought processes here; non-damaging fire spells and bringing back freeze's stun effect in a new form. The remainders are semi-random.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

For this message the author bcadren has received thanks:
Berder

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 5th May 2015, 19:32

Re: Just a Few Spell Ideas

I like force lasso - I've proposed similar pull-monsters-in spells in the past. I don't think it needs to do any damage at all, although then it would just be translocations, and you may want it to be dual school so it isn't just a free pick up for anyone training translocations. Honestly I'd probably be happy with either version, I just want to be able to melee things sooner.

Bolt of stunning sounds powerful, and may be too powerful, especially if it's really a bolt and can pierce and hit several targets. Maybe limit it to one target like iron shot (paralytic shot!).

I'm not sure fire as a curative magic is going to gain much traction, and Innervate at level 2 to remove so many effects is too powerful if the concept was accepted. This is fairly similar to cancellation potions, outside of mark and contamination. Soothe seems like a weaker and lower cost enslavement, and enslavement was just removed from the game. I don't think they want to allow charming creatures that easily.

Hearth is probably my second favorite here, and being able to have such a powerful healing statue behind you would certainly be useful. But it's probably far too useful - healing spells are very limited in crawl for balance reasons, I can see this completely breaking the game, especially at the higher spell power ranges (4 healing a turn for 15 turns is 60 hp - it's twice as strong as heal wounds and is infinitely recastable). As much as I love heal spells, healing is not really an effect that can be balanced in crawl. Regen is weak as hell and it's already one of the best spells in crawl. Summon Phoenix again sounds great but healing is OP. Also you completely missed the chance to have it turn into an egg when it times out and respawn after 10 turns ;)

Tentacle arm is interesting, although I'd meld 2h weapons rather than dropping them, for interface reasons. You didn't specify if it's castable with UC, but I assume it is, you just might prefer other forms instead. Still since it's only level 4 I can see transmuters using this early on, even if they switch to BH afterwards. Seems fairly niche/narrowly useful, but might get used from time to time.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 01:37

Make that Tentacle arm work at a distance and it would work great with spears/tridents/slings/hand crossbows. And formicids with arbalests.

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 05:06

Not necessarily sure on these spells in particular, but I do support the addition of some spell that's pure-fire school. Changing it up to not be about damage is an interesting way to go about this.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 6th May 2015, 13:46

Somebody been playing Tactic Ogre recently?

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 7th May 2015, 05:38

Some nice ideas, I like the tentacle arm myself. And it got me thinking...

Radiant Spire (Summoning/Fire Level 5)

Heals all creatures with in a three tiles radius for about three times the Regen effect. Fire resistance affects the healing negatively with the same ratio it affects damage. After the end of the duration, destruction or healing up to 100 HP the spire explodes into a cloud of fire for twice the damage healed.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner