Show Trog's Berserk duration clearly.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 03:06

Show Trog's Berserk duration clearly.

Berserk is the most powerful force in early games. But this is a dangerous force to use in late games.
One of the reasons is that it is difficult to predict when Berserk will end.
Show Trog's Berserk duration like Song of Slaying(Of course, only Trog's Berserk. Not other Berserk.).

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 05:42

Re: Show Trog's Berserk duration clearly.

sdynet wrote: (Of course, only Trog's Berserk. Not other Berserk.).

Why? Regular berserk is powerful too, dangerous too and also lacks feedback.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 06:22

sdynet wrote:One of the reasons is that it is difficult to predict when Berserk will end.
that's the point

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 06:55

Displaying berserk duration and then changing its color for turns when player does not attack monsters would help new players see how it works without dying. Die to learn is a bad mechanics and fortunately crawl is trying to remove it via displaying monster damage, transparent vaults etc.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 07:33

The reason DCSS doesn't show status durations isn't to make you die-to-learn with them, it's to prevent you from knowing the duration. If I know my berserk has 30 aut left, I can plan a specific sequence of moves to use that 30 aut on. If I don't know whether it's 20 or 60 aut or something in between then I have to be more adaptive. I think that most of the statuses in DCSS are more interesting when their duration is unknown.

(One duration that should be shown, however, is the -Swift duration, since a spoiled player always knows exactly what it is.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks:
nago

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 07:49

It's unclear to me that berserk is better the way it is than perhaps some other way with more transparent duration. I do think song of slaying would be a lot more interesting and useful if it had mechanics more like Trog's berserk. (Though I haven't seen song of slaying used in dcss for a long time, maybe I'm out of date/wrong on how it works.)
This is where mechanical excellence and one-thousand four-hundred horsepower pays off.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 11:40

duvessa wrote:(One duration that should be shown, however, is the -Swift duration, since a spoiled player always knows exactly what it is.)

Imo it would be better to randomize it instead.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 23rd December 2018, 16:02

duvessa wrote:The reason DCSS doesn't show status durations isn't to make you die-to-learn with them, it's to prevent you from knowing the duration. If I know my berserk has 30 aut left, I can plan a specific sequence of moves to use that 30 aut on. If I don't know whether it's 20 or 60 aut or something in between then I have to be more adaptive. I think that most of the statuses in DCSS are more interesting when their duration is unknown.

(One duration that should be shown, however, is the -Swift duration, since a spoiled player always knows exactly what it is.)
I could agree with you if we were not talking about berserk. You can either move or attack (with random damage and unknown accuracy), there is very little room for adaptation here.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner