Goldify all non-tactical consumables

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2018, 20:02

Goldify all non-tactical consumables

So I was thinking earlier today - typically, when people talk about how there's plenty of room in your inventory, they talk about how you just need to carry around wands, blinking, tp, haste, etc. But man, is dropping every remove curse, enchant scroll, mutation potion, etc, you have no tactical need for a hassle. What if we made another library for those things? We could reclassify the following:

Potions of mutation (arguable, sure, but you're not using them in combat... are you?), scrolls of acquirement, amnesia, brand weapon, enchant armor, enchant weapon, identify, magic mapping, remove curse

into their own category. Then, we could let people use them in another menu. From the (a)bility menu, or whatever. Practically speaking, it's optimal to drop all of these things once you identify them, because none of them are REALLY relevant except in a strategic sense. I always just hold on to these things, despite the fact that they're not tactically relevant, because running around and finding them is a pain. We could even reflavor them to be "scrolls" while tactically-relevant scrolls can become potions.

Some of those could stay the same. What would that really change? Blurry vision could turn into shaky hands and make it slower to quaff potions, or just stun you for a turn when you drink a potion of teleportation/blinking. If we want the identification game to remain, we can easily keep noise/torment/vulnerability as an ID-trap, but really, read-IDing scrolls is almost never an actual risk currently if you do it properly anyway.

For this message the author Stonar has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 9th October 2018, 23:34

Re: Goldify all non-tactical consumables

Several could be converted to dungeon features: weird fountain (mutation potion), golden anvil (enchant weapon), etc

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 00:06

chequers wrote:Several could be converted to dungeon features: weird fountain (mutation potion), golden anvil (enchant weapon), etc
The whole point of this proposal is that you shouldn't have to run across the dungeon to enchant your stuff.

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 02:46

Golden anvils could time out. This could help reverse some power creep.

For this message the author Kismet has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, runewalsh

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 04:12

Timing out might have the same issue as timed portals, in that weak characters can't get to them in time. But I do like the idea of making sure the player can't "save" features.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks:
duvessa

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 05:58

I like the idea of golden anvil very much.

How about this change to timed portals (and possible golden anvils): after the timer has expired they still hold on, but only until you leave the floor? This way weak characters can get to them too and there is still no problem with returning when you get strong. And add a warning about losing the portal when you use stairs.

Another option would be to remove the timer altogether. But prohibiting stairdancing at portal floors could be too cruel.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks: 3
duvessa, nago, petercordia

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 10:23

Yermak: I do not understand how it would get rid of the power creep problem? If you cannot come back to clear the time portal later when you are stronger, then weaker characters won't be able to gather XP and treasure from it.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 11:55

Stonar wrote:into their own category. Then, we could let people use them in another menu. From the (a)bility menu, or whatever. Practically speaking, it's optimal to drop all of these things once you identify them, because none of them are REALLY relevant except in a strategic sense. I always just hold on to these things, despite the fact that they're not tactically relevant, because running around and finding them is a pain. We could even reflavor them to be "scrolls" while tactically-relevant scrolls can become potions.

Why don't you just keep one or two stacks around the dungeon? With the changes to books (and previously food and ammo) already there's less of a need for inventory space.

On the other hand I like your idea about reorganising scrolls and potions to make them thematically more consistent. :)

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 11:59

sanka wrote:Yermak: I do not understand how it would get rid of the power creep problem? If you cannot come back to clear the time portal later when you are stronger, then weaker characters won't be able to gather XP and treasure from it.

By 'weak characters' here I meant those who can't reach portal in time: they have to back up and heal constantly.
If you spot a grammar mistake in my post I will appreciate if you PM it.

For this message the author Yermak has received thanks:
sanka

Swamp Slogger

Post Wednesday, 10th October 2018, 16:56

Antares wrote:Why don't you just keep one or two stacks around the dungeon? With the changes to books (and previously food and ammo) already there's less of a need for inventory space.

I mean, I do. I hold on to them until I really need all the tactical resources I have, then wind up dropping a stack of remove curse scrolls or whatever when I'm really starved for space. It's just annoying. There isn't really anything interesting to the gameplay of it, it's just a bunch of bookkeeping. I'm not frustrated by the strategic implications of it, I just think there's a QoL improvement to be made with the system.

For this message the author Stonar has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner