Advice on tablet or netbook that will play tiles DCSS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 06:16

Advice on tablet or netbook that will play tiles DCSS

Hiya,

Loving DCSS ... but with a wife and 2 kids under 6 it's tough to get the time to play ;)

I do, however, have a 40 minute commute on the train to work (each way) ... and was wondering about a netbook or (even better) a (cheap) tablet that would play DCSS.
(I could also tether it to internet via my mobile ... but there are lots of tunnels on my route so I do lose internet 4 or 5 times a journey.)

So ... does anyone have any recommendations on a netbook/tablet for playing (tiles) DCSS?

Also, I guess the most "interesting" issue would be the lack of numpad on netbook, although I suppose I could try to learn the other movement keys (how many YASDs would that cause!) ... or remap the keys to allow me to have 9 keys in a square like the numpad? (anyone else done that?).

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Dez
3-5 rune wins: NaMo of Chei, SpEn of Ash, MiBe, VsBe. 15 rune win: DeFe of Vehumet

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 06:37

Re: Advice on tablet or netbook that will play tiles DCSS

I don't know much about current netbooks or tablets, but I sometimes play Crawl on my old laptop when I'm away from home. It doesn't have a keypad, either, so I use a cheap external keypad that plugs into one of its USB ports. (I assume netbooks have those too.) So you aren't necessarily doomed to remapping the keys!

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 07:00

any netbook/notebook with a windows or linux should play crawl well. i'd suggest to use a mouse to offset the missing numpad, but remapping keys should also work.
i'd play offline with this connection type, doesn't sound too much fun to loose the connection multiple times on a 40min trip.
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

AtT

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 13:40

I've been looking for something like this for my more boring classes. My laptop is big heavy and annoying to carry around. A backpack that could carry it well costs almost as much as a cheap netbook. Let me know if you find anything reasonably priced I'll send a message your way if I can find one. Also I should use it to take notes.. but mostly for crawl. I play console though but I don't think that makes much of a difference DCSS can't take that much computing power to run haha.

also the keyboard movement keys are easy to learn and I find them more enjoyable because they are right next to the other keys you need to press to play the game. After a while you'll stop pressing the wrong buttons and know you're keyboard a lot better (I just noticed the other day that I can list out the letters on a keyboard in order by row, I never knew I could do that lol) if you choose to go that route.

Good luck, and I pictured you publicly raging at YASD on the train haha

Blades Runner

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 15:05

just read that the iOS browser Safari supports websockets, maybe you can play webtiles with it?
Check out my characters at Spielersofa (in German)

Snake Sneak

Post Wednesday, 14th September 2011, 15:34

In Android, Opera Mobile support websockets (you need to enable it in the config), so you can load webtiles up on an Android tablet. However, you are unable to send keyboard input at the moment, hopefully that will be fixed at some-point.

I'd suggest it would be better to play a local version on the train, so a netbook will be better than a tablet.

It's also worth noting that DCSS has just been ported to the Nokia N900 http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=76235

For this message the author Regnix has received thanks:
MyOtheHedgeFox

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner