Memes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 03:27

Memes

Just a variety of tavern memes that have, shall we say, an enigmatic relationship with reality.
  • Pure mage necromancers/summoners in robes are strong
  • Transmuters are strong
  • Ranged weapons are OP
  • Every character should learn Animate Skeleton, including characters that fight at range
  • Summon butterflies
  • Mid/late game is not dangerous.
  • Gods can be ranked based on how strong they are at 0* or 1*
  • Necromutation is overrated
  • DMSL should be cast at 0 skill
  • It's important to guard against hyperoptimal scumming that nobody actually does
  • It's possible to fight every enemy in an ideal 1v1 if you want to
  • Noise of a spell is irrelevant
  • Shatter is strong, even though it knocks down walls, sends everything running to you, and is terrible against flying
  • Glaciate is weak because damage falls off a bit for the last 2 tiles
  • There's plenty of XP in the game. Diving or using allies to kill things carries no long-term cost to survivability.
  • (Oh, but there isn't enough XP for a blaster mage to train any offensive schools they didn't start with)
  • Statistics are irrelevant
  • Evidence in general is irrelevant. If something is a meme it must be self-evident.
  • Expertise is irrelevant too. The views of a non-streaking low winrate player about optimal play are just as valuable as those of a streaking player. If not moreso.
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
251 total wins Berder hyperborean + misc
83/108 recent wins (76%)
guides: safe tactics value of ac/ev/sh forum toxicity

For this message the author Berder has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 04:04

Re: Memes

There's too little hard data here. Please run some Tavern-scraping scripts which quantify the prevalence of each meme. Also, rank them by their Tavern-thank potential.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 9
Arrhythmia, Berder, cerebovssquire, Doesnt, duvessa, Gigaslurp, Midn8, pedritolo, Vajrapani

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 04:43

Berder wrote:
  • Noise of a spell is irrelevant
really curious where you got this one

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 04:52

Berder wrote:[*]Transmuters are strong

Listen, buddy, I have a 100% lifetime DgTm winrate and I'll have you know that if those games were DgWn the winrate would be even higher.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks:
Berder

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 04:55

I have about 6 games suspended in Vaults/Depths/extended branches because it takes too much energy to keep the characters alive so I am sure that "late/middle game is easy" is just a meme.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Berder

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 05:36

A lot of those memes were true 6 versions ago, but no longer.

For this message the author Rast has received thanks:
Berder

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 07:24

I really think every non-Trog character who is allowed to use necromancy should learn Animate Skeleton.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Airwolf

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:06

Calling statements you do not agree with "memes" does not make them false.
Calling something a "meme" that I never ever saw anybody saying on tavern is a little strange. It seems more likely an attempt to discredit the people you do not agree with. As an example, statistics being relevant in general does not magically correct your statistics.

Your winrate is not considered a good argument by many because they think that it is more of a sign of your patience than your knowledge. Mostly those people that agree with the "meme" that crawl is easy in general, especially the mid/late game.

Also, starting 19 topics at once is a good strategy if you do not expect a detailed answer in any one of them.
Last edited by sanka on Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 3
Gigaslurp, Implojin, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:09

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I have about 6 games suspended in Vaults/Depths/extended branches because it takes too much energy to keep the characters alive so I am sure that "late/middle game is easy" is just a meme.

Are you sure you did not make conducts, like bad skilling and weak gods? Because I think not everybody who say that Vault/Depths/extended is easy agrees with that the MuMo challenge is easy there.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:11

By the way, Berder, I admired your NaWn streak, really. Altough I must admit I mostly admired that you were able to consitently reach Lair (maybe middle Lair) with that combo. I did not feel that the rest of the game is very hard with a NaWn.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 14:15

sanka wrote:Are you sure you did not make conducts, like bad skilling and weak gods? Because I think not everybody who say that Vault/Depths/extended is easy agrees with that the MuMo challenge is easy there.

That's funny because I believe that MuMo challenge is easy while middle/late game is not easy.
Early game you have fewer monsters to fight, almost all of them have normal speed, physical damage and they don't have nasty abilities so you can easily split them and kill one by one. Middle/late game you have hordes of monsters coming for you and you'd better have MR+, rElec, rF+, rPois etc. because devs seem to set monster damage assuming you do have those resists.

Edit. Other reasons:
1) Skilling. Early game it is obvious what to train, middle/late game there are decisions to make especially if you are lucky to find many spells
2) Terrain. Early game you can almost always fight in a corridor, middle/late game are full of open terrain and monsters with ranged/smiting attacks.
3) Escaping. Middle/late game you get vault sentinels (Vaults), naga guardians (Snakes), draconian shifters (Zot), water nymph (Shoals) or just lots of fast creatures (Spiders, late D, Depths).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 15:25

"I have a 5% winrate and no streaks, but crawl is easy! If you pass the early game game you won already. Never mind that I only win 50% of my games that reach XL10. Easy, I say!"

"I've never built a house, but isn't it just a matter of putting one board on top of another? Of course I'm qualified to give housebuilding advice. Ignore what the carpenter is saying, the only thing he has that I don't is patience."

"Anything I don't understand is easy to do."
streaks: 5 fifteen rune octopodes. 15 diverse chars. 13 random chars. 24 NaWn^gozag.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 15:43

I think that your confusion comes from the fact that you use the word "easy" in a different meaning than those who say that the game is easy. They usually mean that "easy if you are patient enough". And I feel that you claim that it is not easy because it is hard to be patient enough. I think both can be true.

It also implies that they think that craw cannot reach its aims highlighted in its design philosophy very well.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 15:50

It's only non-streakers who think patience is the only ingredient. You have to have good tactics and good strategy, and it improves your perspective on what things are strong and what things are weak.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 16:13

Some of these I haven't actually heard repeated enough by enough people to qualify as Memes, a lot of these are hyperbole, and certainly some of these have been repeated when they probably shouldn't have been.

For example I've heard both "Necromancy is really strong" and "Summons are really strong" but it's been years since I've heard anyone claim that playing a 'pure necromancer in a robe' was extremely powerful (robes can have pretty good egos, depending on what you're doing, but there's honestly not much point in staying in robes later in the game if you don't need one of the robe-specific egos, which necromancers and summoners don't particularly) sitting behind an immense cloud of undead and never having to actually deal with any enemies yourself was a pretty reliable playstyle back when they were permanant and could attack things offscreen, but that's long since over.

Transmuters are ok, but are fiddly early on, there's a few players in particular who are overly attached to the play style, and who will recommend it to everyone, but I don't think a few players repeating something makes it a meme.

Ranged weapons are pretty good, I have only heard one person say that they are OP, but they have said it more than once.

Animate skeleton is very very good for how cheap it is, if you cast spells, you can cast it, and for 1 MP it's pretty useful even late game, a high level skeleton can serve as a distraction or blocker at pretty much any point, and since you can get the spell for 1 spell slot and 0 XP, it's very very frequently worth it. I'm not sure *everyone* should learn it. If you go back far enough, Animate skeleton was optimal on every character, as it would let you butcher corpses even if you had a cursed unbladed weapon in hand, so even if you didn't care about the (at the time permanant) ally, having it memorized was a very useful thing even if you didn't actually care about the spell's effect, none of that applies any more of course.

Summon butterflies is a poor, but unlimited fog, sometimes you don't have a fog scroll, or don't care *that* much about preventing things from hitting you at range, but it's rare that you don't care at all, or have enough fog scrolls that you could use one in every situation in which it would provide an advantage, for 0 XP and 1 MP+1 Spell slot, it's again very frequently worthwhile, as long as you remember to use it, and don't always have more important things to do when ranged critters aren't adjacent to you but are on screen (Which is true for a subset of characters) It's notably useful to lower the odds of hexers from using their abilities on you for a short while (It's less reliable against damaging attacks)

The mid/late game thing is weird to me, I've looked at my own loss history, and I'm pretty consistent in my odds of dying on a level by level basis, but I'm pretty sure that varies by type of player, to me this feels pretty meme-y as it's been repeated more than once from more than one player.

I don't recall people saying you can rank gods by how strong they are at 0* or 1* (Although I have heard players say that gods that give you something useful almost immediately on joining are good, I haven't heard it said that if a god gives you something powerful *later* that they aren't good, I suspect this goes with the 'early game is hard' meme, if you believe the early game is hard, getting a benefit early is better than getting one later, I believe that most people who actually "rank" gods would take both types of usefulness into account, but there aren't that many so who knows..)

Necromutation was once upon a time overrated, in that there was a meme that it was "required for every player to get and be able to cast necromutation before entering extended no matter what kind of player they were" because at the time there were several players who believed that it was essential to be able to cast level 9 spells hungerlessly to survive in extended. Following that was a lot of debunking of both that spell hunger was a serious limit and that you couldn't survive in extended if you weren't torment immune, which is about when you started posting on the forums, some people still repeat that Necromutation is overrated (Or really more frequently now, it's labeled as 'not worth the XP investment, unless you've already for some weird reason invested into these two schools that have no other overlap') but I think most players who read these forums now have a realistic understanding of what the benefits of necromutation are, and have a vague understanding of when the costs are worth it.

The suggestion to cast DMSL at 0 skill came up recently, I don't know why that's a specifically good idea, as it's hard to cast with even a small amount of skill, and it's chance of breaking is directly proportional to your skill, so more spell skill for DMSL is always beneficial, although, of course, having it up is always better than not having it, even at 0 skill, I suppose if you have it and have more pressing things to train for right now, and can actually succeed, it's still worth *casting* as it'll do something and you can try as many times as you need to, but I don't know that it's *optimal* to always cast it with 0 skill.

Hyperoptimal scumming is something that it's unlikely to ever be completely eliminated in this sort of game, however it is one of the stated development goals to reduce the impact of scumming wherever possible, I personally think, like anything else, taking a frequently beneficial course of action and turning into a dogmatic absolute extreme is rarely a good idea.

It's possible to fight *most* enemies in 1v1 battles, something like 95% of all fights can be 1v1 battles, and probably 85% of the non-popcorn fights *should always* be 1v1 battles, optimizing for the 15-25% case isn't typically the best solution unless it doesn't cost anything for the 85-95% case, or if the cost is very minimal. If anyone says "every fight is 1v1" then that's probably hyperbole, as even if you're standing in a corridor, sometimes something comes up behind you, even from an already cleared area. If you're fighting less than 85% of your hard fights in multiple-vs-1 you're probably playing suboptimally, which is fine too, not everyone needs to optimize your win chances. This "meme" comes up frequently when someone suggests that axes are better than every other weapon type. Is the ability to hit secondary enemies worth the reduced base damage? Everyone has an opinion.

I have never heard "Noise of a spell is irrelevant" I have heard "Spell noise isn't the primary consideration when deciding how good a spell is" the truth is that spell noise can be mitigated in the same way that fights can be made 1v1 much of the time, with lots of tedious luring, the more disinclined you are to lure stuff, the more important spell noise is, but it's always more important to kill something before it kills you, than it is to worry about how much noise you're making.

Shatter is definitely the worst level 9 spell in terms of it's offensive power, but it's still not bad, it does pretty good damage against most things (It's weakness against fliers is not really worse than fire storm's or glaciate's weakness against rF+ and rC+ critters), and hits the whole screen. In a subset of (non 1v1) fights, this is a useful attribute. The wall breaking is sometimes useful (when you want to break into dig proof vaults) but it mostly just makes life harder. Again this is a spell whose detriments can be reduced by robust positioning.

Glaciate isn't *weak* it's just not *as strong as* firestorm, I'm not sure saying "this spell isn't as powerful as the most powerful offensive spell in the game" is really qualifies as a meme.

There is plenty of XP in the game, and enough for blaster mages to train offensive skills they didn't start with (It's a bit like switching weapon types for weapon users, except it doesn't cost anything to use a differently-elemented spell from turn to turn in combat, and different spells have different qualifications for when they're most worthwhile, so it's more worthwhile) That doesn't mean it costs *nothing* to use allies, only that the costs and benefits are comparable (presuming you continue to use allies) Nobody says that there's 0 cost to diving, only that the costs as a percentage of the whole get to be insignificant the later in the game it is. If anyone says there's exactly 0 costs to these activities it's certainly hyperbole.

Statistics and evidence aren't irrelevant, but they can misrepresent, they can be used incorrectly and can contradict the truth, that doesn't mean that they're bad, it just means that the presenter *and their audience* needs to be aware of exactly how they are being presented, and what conclusions you can actually derive from the facts being presented. Expertise is also not irrelevant, but (while it's not very common) it can happen that an expert can be wrong, and a novice can present an idea that happens to be correct, that's very very unlikely, but it's possible, and it's important to actually look at ideas for what they are, rather than swapping the reliability for the source for the reliability of the idea.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
Berder, pedritolo, Utis

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 16:15

Berder wrote:It's only non-streakers who think patience is the only ingredient. You have to have good tactics and good strategy, and it improves your perspective on what things are strong and what things are weak.

Well, to be fair, you do need patience to *use* good tactics and good strategy.
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 16:23

A typical non-streaker will build a weak character, play recklessly and splat with it and not care because they splat with strong characters too, and therefore they never find out how weak it really is. They can rationalize "oh I just wasn't patient enough" - they don't attribute the weakness to the way they built the character.

A streaker has to win, so they have to struggle along painfully with the weak character until they win. They get their nose rubbed in how weak it is for hours, instead of just splatting immediately and forgetting it. This gives them a lot more incentive to avoid building a character that way in the future, and a much better understanding of what is weak and what is not.

I thanked your post Siegurt because you're sincerely trying to engage on the issues, though I don't agree with many things you say. For example you say "optimizing for the 15-25% case isn't typically the best solution unless it doesn't cost anything for the 85-95% case, or if the cost is very minimal." I doubt the percentages are correct, *most* fights in my games involve fighting multiple enemies at once, and I'm almost always fighting many enemies in succession before I can rest. But even if they were correct, when the 15-25% case is you being attacked by many enemies at once, it is absolutely the case to optimize for because it's the only case that's going to kill you. This is a very important concept in streaking: optimize your build and tactics for what might kill you, which is only a small proportion of the things you will fight.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

For this message the author Berder has received thanks: 2
ManMan, VeryAngryFelid

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 16:35

Here's a different perspective: You would do well to get your head out of your ass and realize that there's a subset of skilled Crawl players who realized years and years ago that the game is piss-easy if you use all available tools to win. These players have, in the intervening time, tended to do things like turncount speedruns, realtime speedruns, playing under challenge conducts, playing forks, playing local branches, or largely not playing Crawl at all as the base game holds little meaning past that point.

You have made a chain of posts across this forum loudly, publicly, and rudely discounting the opinions of some of those players, and pretty much all players who choose not to prioritize streakplay, often doing so in threads that have *nothing* to do with that topic, when your own perspective reads as that of a clueless novitiate desperate for peer acceptance. I am posting this because I would like you to stop bringing up winrate in threads where that is offtopic, and implying that the opinions of other posters must thereby automatically be discounted. It's an absurd stance to take, to the point where you seem to be trolling. You've completely derailed at least one thread in GDD this way, where the topic was organizing the character creation screen *to help newbies*.

If you can't support your arguments with substantive reasoning, appeals to your own authority as "the bestest evar" hold zero fucking weight -- yet, that seems to be your fallback position across the board. Would you discount the opinions of sapher or 4tharra if they were topical, merely because turncount play long ago tanked their winrate?

I don't know if a 60%+ hyper winrate while playing for tournament points is enough for my opinion to exist in your world, but if it isn't, that's okay.

tl;dr: Please stop.

@ the inevitable mod attention : Do what you think is right, this is the third time I've almost responded to this poster. I'm choosing to actually post this one.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, Midn8

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 17:06

Berder wrote:I doubt the percentages are correct, *most* fights in my games involve fighting multiple enemies at once, and I'm almost always fighting many enemies in succession before I can rest. But even if they were correct, when the 15-25% case is you being attacked by many enemies at once, it is absolutely the case to optimize for because it's the only case that's going to kill you. This is a very important concept in streaking: optimize your build and tactics for what might kill you, which is only a small proportion of the things you will fight.

Whereas most of my fights that are with multiple enemies are with popcorn, and most of my fights with things that actually do damage to me (by a very large margin) are 1v1, However you may be lumping in "a bunch of things that I will fight serially" into the "multiple enemies" case, where I'm lumping that into the 1v1 case.

Fighting a bunch of things serially is different from fighting multiple things that can attack you at a time, really that's also different from the pack-breaking case, where you've used corners and stealth and possibly stairdancing to be able to fight one thing, where you'll be able to rest afterwards.

To be strictly accurate, it sounds like there's really three different categories we're trying to lump into two.
For the non-popcorn fights that'd be something like:
25% singular combatant, no enemies around
65% serial combatants, a corridor or other terrain such that I only have to fight one at a time, but can't really rest between.
10% parallel combatants, engage more than one combatant at a time (this breaks down into about 90% 2 at a time, 10% more than that, with some exceptions for certain weird cases)

I could, but don't bother to, push around a third to half of the 65% from the serial category to the no enemies category, most trivially by pulling up stairs.

The reason I lump serial fights into 1v1, is that they seem more similar than the multiple combatant category, I (usually) only have to worry about one thing attacking me (for the purpose of estimating how much damage I could take, and hence when I should flee.) and fleeing from a bunch of serially-lined up critters isn't much different from fleeing from a single critter, I do have to last longer to beat a line of serial critters, but really, one could pretty much lump all of the critter's HP together into one 1v1 critter to fight, with approximately the same damage, and it wouldn't be substantially different (I mean other than gaining a pretty small amount of XP along the way, plus the variation in critter strength means I can wait out killing a wimpy thing if I need more MP or something to kill the harder thing behind it, but those are edge cases.)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 28th August 2018, 17:30

Implojin wrote:Here's a different perspective: You would do well to get your head out of your ass and realize that there's a subset of skilled Crawl players who realized years and years ago that the game is piss-easy if you use all available tools to win. These players have, in the intervening time, tended to do things like turncount speedruns, realtime speedruns, playing under challenge conducts, playing forks, playing local branches, or largely not playing Crawl at all as the base game holds little meaning past that point.

There may be some players like that, but the majority of players, and the loudest players, on Team Memes have no such record.

You have made a chain of posts across this forum loudly, publicly, and rudely discounting the opinions of some of those players, and pretty much all players who choose not to prioritize streakplay, often doing so in threads that have *nothing* to do with that topic, when your own perspective reads as that of a clueless novitiate desperate for peer acceptance. I am posting this because I would like you to stop bringing up winrate in threads where that is offtopic, and implying that the opinions of other posters must thereby automatically be discounted. It's an absurd stance to take, to the point where you seem to be trolling. You've completely derailed at least one thread in GDD this way, where the topic was organizing the character creation screen *to help newbies*.

Newbies want to know how to win - they don't care about high scores or challenge conducts. Who knows how to win most reliably? Streakers do. Therefore, the most valid advice for a newbie asking what to do is advice by and for streakers. Not by mediocre players without streaks, good winrate, or high scores, even if said mediocre players have won many games.

rudely

I think you'll find it difficult to find any evidence of me being rude, unless your definition of "rude" is "disagreeing." I simply present my views with justification. It is others who are rude to me; they are exasperated that I do not immediately toe the Meme Party Line and see such disagreement as overstepping my bounds. They respond mockingly and snidely as if the opposing view is obvious, I respond by justifying my reasons as well as I can. Your own post here is quite rude towards me, for example.

a clueless novitiate desperate for peer acceptance

These are two claims divorced from reality. I am obviously not a novitiate, I am a highly experienced player with an excellent record, especially relative to most of those disagreeing with me. If I was fishing for peer acceptance do you think I would act as I do? Do you think I imagine I will get peer acceptance by arguing for my views? I would have to be pretty dumb if that was my motivation, given what actually happens. If it was peer acceptance I was after, I could certainly get a lot more of it by parroting tavern memes. No, my behavior is explained better by the view that I believe certain things to be true, and I want to argue for them to spread the truth. To hell with social hierarchy. The truth stands alone.

If you can't support your arguments with substantive reasoning, appeals to your own authority as "the bestest evar" hold zero fucking weight -- yet, that seems to be your fallback position across the board.

I do support my arguments with substantive reasoning. That's always been my first resort. At times it feels like I'm virtually the only one who does around here, and every time I do, people like you attack me for it. I'm not just talking about win rate statistics - which are without a doubt important evidence about the game - but also about fsim results and my ac/ev/sh calculator. As well as my own experience-based reasoning about things like why summons are weak or why AM is weak. But this isn't enough for some people; they try to argue that their subjective opinions about the game based on experience hold more weight than any kind of facts or evidence, so they can dismiss my evidence and just trust the memes. Well, fine. If subjective experience is your criterion, my experience-based opinion is better than yours, too. (not "yours" specifically; you in particular may be a decent winrate player. Better than the opinion of most of those arguing with me.)

Would you discount the opinions of sapher or 4tharra if they were topical, merely because turncount play long ago tanked their winrate?

Sapher has achieved a great streak, so I would certainly value his opinion on optimal play. 4tharraofdagon is not a streak player; he has valuable opinions about how to achieve a high score, but not about how to win consistently.

I don't know if a 60%+ hyper winrate while playing for tournament points is enough for my opinion to exist in your world, but if it isn't, that's okay.

That's a solid achievement. You have some chops to comment on optimal play.
83/108 recent wins (76%)

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 00:33

Berder wrote:Just a variety of tavern memes that have, shall we say, an enigmatic relationship with reality.
  • Summon butterflies
  • Gods can be ranked based on how strong they are at 0* or 1*
  • Shatter is strong, even though it knocks down walls, sends everything running to you, and is terrible against flying

I agree with the above, and consequently disagree with the ones not listed.
But I would add that gods not only can but should be ranked based on how strong they are at 0-1*. The effect this factor has on your chance of winning is way too big (and should be reduced btw).

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 04:38

I will take winrate seriously if and when I get paid for playing Crawl. This is not to say that winrate is completely meaningless, but the numbers should be taken with a boulder of salt.

Besides, (as I have ranted about elsewhere), winrate is neither the best nor the most fun metric to optimize, even if you're playing seriously. I would not want Crawl to evolve in a direction where winrate is one of the main considerations for game design.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
Midn8

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 06:11

Let's check some characters about late game is easy meme.
1) Any Be except Gh/Mu/Fo will find early game easier than late game, FeBe and OpBe will find it much easier.
2) Any Tr wins early gamebattles by pressing tab, middle game is hard unless you are lucky to find some dragon scales, late game is still harder than early one.
3) Any Mi wins early game fights by pressing . (Dot, passing turns)
4) Any En wins early game via EH and Confuse, middle game is hard, late game is very hard. Especially for Sp.
5) Any Ce cannot die early game but lacks good defense middle/late game and can die easily
6) DE caster does not run out of MP early game but should play veey carefully middle/late game
7) Any Dr has harder late game because of lack of body armour abd abundance of cold attacks.
8) Any Op has harder middle/late game because constriction is not as OP.

What about characters who have easier late game than early game? Yes, there are some:
1) Any Ds except DsBe
2) Any Gn except GnBe
Am I missing something?

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 06:19

I disagree about gnolls. Gnolls are exremely strong in the early game due to really high starting skills. Then this advantage starts to shrink fast, and in the middle-game (when you go for the first runes) gnolls are really weak. They become okay-ish in the late game but to become very strong you should do extended.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 06:32

Magipi wrote:I disagree about gnolls. Gnolls are exremely strong in the early game due to really high starting skills. Then this advantage starts to shrink fast, and in the middle-game (when you go for the first runes) gnolls are really weak. They become okay-ish in the late game but to become very strong you should do extended.
Ok, then the meme has even less prooves.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 10:29

You call this a statement a "meme" because you use the word "easy" with a different meaning, dragging the usual statements out of context (and, as usual for such arguments, exacerbating it so it looks more false). This is especially noticable for your En example, which seems to imply that the character should beat the late game with EH and confuse alone.

First, you are right. Crawl has a huge number of monsters with different abilities, lot of deathtrap vaults, etc., and these require a lot of knowledge (some call it spoilers, since altough the game displays way more information nowadays, but still far from enough.). In this sense the middle and late game is much, much harder. The first 8 dungeon levels simply does not have that many monsters and treats.

Also, you are right because the game is very random. The "early game" is usually means "up to lair, or mid-lair". This is 13 floors at max. The rest of a three runes game contains at least 31 floors. Surely you have more chance to die, it is much harder to spend attention for that long. Especially since most floors are not dangerous.

But wherever I saw statements that resembles your mocking version, it was made in an other context, implying that which part is hard for a spoiled/experienced player: that is,
1.) which part is more likely to throw situations at you where even with very careful, thinking, and knowledgable play you have a hard time to avoid death
2.) which part requires you using every single possible advantage at your hand if you want to be sure to live.

That is, if you actually use the tools avaliable in the game, for example, joining a strong god, do not use autoexplore, etc. I agree that this is not the average experience for players, hence the vehement opposition. Few players try to actually use all tools in the game, simply because it makes the game unbearable. And it joins to your other statement, where you seem to think that this is not a problem from the design viewpoint. That is, you seem to think that it is not a problem that the mid/late game can be beaten very easily with tedious play because nobody does it anyway and patience is part of the easy/hard distinction anyway. I do not wish to argue this point, but I feel that your position is against crawl`s design philosophy.

For example, that SpEn that for some reason struggles late game because she cannot confuse every single monster could have joined kiku, and flood the few monsters that she cannot kill with pain melee and stabs with zombies. Yes, it can be hard if you have no idea which monsters can kill you from behind the zombies and which vaults not to enter at all. But it is not interesting for an experienced player because there is no feeling of challenge.

About streaking: I have watched some long streak games long time ago. The player used manual explorations in the early part of the game with every combination, including those you claim strong in the early game. And she used autoexplore for large parts of the mid/late game with almost every combination. This alone suggest to me that the mid/late game is easier. In the early game you are required to use every advantage you can have. Later you can easily get away with very, very suboptimal play like using autoexplore.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 2
bel, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 10:54

sanka wrote:About streaking: I have watched some long streak games long time ago. The player used manual explorations in the early part of the game with every combination, including those you claim strong in the early game. And she used autoexplore for large parts of the mid/late game with almost every combination. This alone suggest to me that the mid/late game is easier.

Sorry, it looks arrogant but you realize that Berder has a streak of 24 NaWn, don't you? I don't have that impressive streaks but I am talking from my experience as well. For me "easy" means that I can do a lot of mistakes and still win "easily". "Hard" means that I must be very careful, I can die because of a single mistake (accidentally pressing wrong key, for instance). "Easier" means that I can do more mistakes (or more serious one). That's why early game is easier for me, I just retreat to corridor, escape via stairs, pillar-dance etc. Middle/late game nerfs those tactics so I must be more creative (use wands, unusual consumables like immolation/silence, cast risky noisy spells etc.)

Have you tried SpEn? It is not only about Confuse/EH, you can die during autoexplore if you are unlucky to find a Yaktaurs pack.

Just let me quote Berder's OP:
Expertise is irrelevant too. The views of a non-streaking low winrate player about optimal play are just as valuable as those of a streaking player. If not moreso.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:02

If you are talking about "unavoidable" deaths, this is not that relevant to "easiness" IMHO as true unaviodable deaths are extremely rare. I like analyzing streak breaking games and it is very often that even without watching ttyrecs it is easy to identify a player's mistake from messages alone (I have watched ttyrecs just 2-3 times in my life).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:11

I do realize that Berder has streaks. And I am honestly curious if how he uses autoexplore early and late.

I am not talking about unavoidable deaths. I am talking about making deliberatly bad strategic and tactical decisions to make the game more bearable in the mid- and late game. The example of the former is joining a weak god like Vehumet who offers a very smooth play. An example of the latter is using autoexplore, like in your example of the yactaur pack. I am pretty sure you can autoexplore into death in the early game, too, just there you do not have 8 blink scrolls in your backpack for the case when you survive the first round.

About Berder: it does not seem true to me that Berder's opinions are widely shared amongst streakers, but prove me wrong. I am honestly curious.

Edit: I did played SpEn a little. I did not find yactaur packs that dangerous, by the time I meet them I usually have huge EV and some AC as well, it seems very very unlikely that they kill me in one round like it happend with some orc priests smitten me to death in an other game. On the other hand I died meleeing slow melee monsters. Maybe I should have concluded that tentacled monstrosities are some huge danger to late game spriggans.
Last edited by sanka on Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:18

I don't know about Berder but when I am streaking I use manual exploration early game and autoexplore middle/late game. Not because late game is easier but because I don't like manual exploration and cannot stand it for too long. I still remember my pain when I forced myself to continue using manual exploration even in Lair as Mu of Chei.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:24

sanka wrote:About Berder: it does not seem true to me that Berder's opinions are widely shared amongst streakers, but prove me wrong. I am honestly curious.

Opinions are subjective. Let's check the longest streak breakers:
  Code:
level 21
level 24
level 15
level 9
level 7
level 17
level 4
level 10
level 2

4 deaths before XL 10, 3 deaths before XL 20, 2 deaths after XL 20.
Interesting, it looks like it is easier to die earlier... Do we have a query guru to get more data? ;)
Anyway, I don't think it is correct to call late game easy when the 2 longest streaks were ended late game.
Last edited by VeryAngryFelid on Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:26

Yes, monsters with constriction are very dangerous to Sp.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:26

Well, I, too, often do the same. What I am trying to say is that you are not wrong about late game being hard/harder, but you (or more likely Berder) use(s) this word in a very different context, hence a very different meaning. But still in a tone that suggest that those that say that the early game is easier are stupid.

To repeat: I only read this statement in the context of game design and overall comparison, with a context that clearly implied to me a different meaning. They do not mean that you build a weak (but fun to play) character and play in a bad (but bearable and somewhat fun) manner than the late game is easy. They mean that the game, as designed, throws you a bad challenge: patience. That is, because balance between playing fun and playing well.

I have no idea why you feel that in the late game you can die because of a bad keypress and not in the early game. In late game usually I have a huge number of consumables and escape options.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks: 2
duvessa, VeryAngryFelid

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:27

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Yes, monsters with constriction are very dangerous to Sp.

You do not need to meele them. Really. No, never. I had like 10 blink scrolls to escape constriction, and they cannot kill me in a few turns.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
duvessa

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:27

sanka wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:Yes, monsters with constriction are very dangerous to Sp.

You do not need to meele them. Really. No, never. I had like 10 blink scrolls to escape constriction, and they cannot kill me in a few turns. I just stopped caring.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:29

sanka wrote:You do not need to meele them. Really. No, never. I had like 10 blink scrolls to escape constriction, and they cannot kill me in a few turns. I just stopped caring.

I guess you didn't have Snakes Pit in your game. Try SpBe, it's fun too ;)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:43

I would not read too much into those streaks. Some just repeat the same combination like DDFi over and over, and those who talk about the early game being harder usually the same who say that DD is stupid, so they may not consider it at all. And some are from very late versions. The first 22 games of elliptic's long streak fall into the double melee bug, for example, which made the early game much easier.

Also, we may need some decision of where the early game ends. I remember that I am usually over level 10 when I exit lair, but where do you draw the line? Surely Vaults-Depths-Zot are not the top killers in streaks, even if Berder says that they are more dangerous? Especially considering their length. Easyness should be somehow balanced with the length, since the game is random. More levels, more bad things could happen, easy or not.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 11:48

I think the meme says "the game is won when you reach Lair".

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 12:09

Well, on one hand, I heard this version from those who mock it.

On the other hand, Lair being a turning point is coincides with my personal experience. I am simply not good enough to reliably reach lair (with weaker combinations), I sometimes die and I do not know what should I had done differently. I often die in late game, too, but it feels like:
o-tab-o-tab-o-tab for 8 floors ...
50% hp
continues to o-tab-o-tab
20% hp, ouch, maybe I should escape
reads a teleportation scroll to save blink scrolls because I only have 10 blink scrolls
teleportation lands in an ever worse position
etc.

So it is not only that I realize my error. It also that I realize that I was bored with the game and stopped caring whether I win or lose, and never stopped to think. I guess there are deaths in the late game that feels differently, but I do not remember them. In the early game, on the other hand, I sometimes wonder a lot what should I do, and still die.

Compare my bad player experience with some streak data. I played a lot of NaWn and while I died everywhere, my feeling was that I am in danger before lair and during lair (for a naga lair is actually dangerous, since Na is very, very bad). Now, see the streaks. Broken at level 4, 8, 5, 3, 12. (The last is still on Lair 1, which I think is still counts as a somewhat dangerous level, since you do not have 3 stairs. And for Naga the whole lair can be more dangerous than for better races.) And these streaks contain more than 100 winning games. 5 ended early game. None ended mid or late game.

Now, you may argue that Na is hard early and easy later, while for Sp the opposite is true. What I feel is that for low HP low AC races autoexplore is especially very very bad. They are absolutely OK without it in the late game. Yes, I hate playing these races in the late game. But this is the difference between the two kinds of "easy": there exists a safe and easy strategy (Not "optimal play", etc. just simple, safe.) with them versus a human easily bears the playstyle required to win.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 12:24

sanka wrote:Now, see the streaks. Broken at level 4, 8, 5, 3, 12.

My streaks ended at 14, 19, 17, 23, 4, 15, 15, 10, 8, 23, 8, 1 (distortion), 19.
I hope now you see why we have different opinions about early/late game and "game is won by Lair" does not apply to me at all.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 12:49

Well, yes I feel this would be my pattern if I were able to streak more than 2. But you also do use autoexplore lately. What is your feeling about the deaths, namely the level 19, 17, 23, 23 ones? You do not feel that:
1. They were preceded by like 10 boring dungeon levels where there were no threat, simply to bore you to death
2. You would not get into the situation in the first place if you would not use convenience methods, like autoexplore
3. You made obvious big strategical mistakes like worshipping a weak god to make the game more bearable?

Again, do not misunderstood me. Vehumet and Okawaru are amongst my favorite gods (because they do NOT offer summons), and I use autoexplore often even in the early game. But this does not make the statements false.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 13:14

sanka wrote:What is your feeling about the deaths, namely the level 19, 17, 23, 23 ones?

19:

68926 | Vaults:1 | Cast into the Abyss (deep elf demonologist)
69910 | Abyss:1 | Paralysed by you for 7 turns
69913 | Abyss:1 | Mangled by an apocalypse crab

17:
Began as a Naga Enchanter on Feb 22, 2014.
Was a High Priest of Nemelex Xobeh.
Mangled by a stone giant (41 damage)
I kept casting Confuse at the giant :)
That version didn't display success chance so I had no idea how good the plan was.

23:
I still remember that game, it was CSDC. I created a kill hole in Pan to kill a single torturous warmonger
after getting
  Code:
The bolt hits you!!! The bolt burns you.
Damage: -19%(-40hp)   hp: 79%(167hp)

Then happened this:
  Code:
The torturous warmonger unwields an uncursed arbalest of flaming.
It stops flaming.
The torturous warmonger wields an uncursed runed demon trident.
The torturous warmonger hits you with an uncursed runed demon trident!!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
Damage: -13%(-27hp)   hp: 68%(144hp)

The warmonger had a vampiric weapon and now I had no room to run/blink (I was a Ce)
  Code:
The torturous warmonger hits you with an uncursed runed demon trident!!!
* * * LOW HITPOINT WARNING * * *
The torturous warmonger draws strength from your injuries!
Huge Dmg: -20%(-42hp) hp: 49%(103hp)
Here: a torturous warmonger, wielding a vampiric demon trident and wearing a plate armour (heavily wounded, unusually strong)

I still have no idea what that "grows stronger" means.
  Code:
Mandatory exit. Think how to survive! ; Huge Dmg: -26%(-54hp) hp: 24%(50hp)

The death would not probably happen in latest versions where max monster damage is displayed.

Another 23:
I was fighting a huge pack of monsters:
  Code:
You kill the ice dragon!!
You kill the ice dragon!
You kill the caustic shrike!
You kill the stone giant!
You kill the great orb of eyes!
You kill the fire dragon!
You could see a fire giant, an ice dragon and a stone giant.

So no, those were not boring games, it's just late game is not easy.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 14:11

VeryAngryFelid wrote: | Vaults:1 | Cast into the Abyss (deep elf demonologist)

Well, it happened with me. My feeling was:
I should not let the demonologist have LOF on me. Use zombies/apocalipse/imprison etc. Of course I never do it, there are too many demonologists and I am not a masochist.
My feeling was not:
Oh, it is hard to figure out a strategy that could have saved me.

Well, it is also true that even with careful play there is a chance that the demonologist banish you on turn one. But you can be banished with a disto weapon or Erlocha in the early game, too, and the abyss is even more dangerous then. Just the late game is much, much more longer, so there are more chance. But this still does not give me the feeling that it is more dangerous.

VeryAngryFelid wrote: Began as a Naga Enchanter on Feb 22, 2014.
Was a High Priest of Nemelex Xobeh.
Mangled by a stone giant (41 damage)
I kept casting Confuse at the giant :)
That version didn't display success chance so I had no idea how good the plan was.

These deaths happened to me, too. My feeling was again not that it is hard to figure out a good strategy with Nemelex. My feeling was more like:

oh, I am too bored to carry and use those cards. Confusing and stabbing is much more exiting!
This, again, means that the late game is "hard" in a very different sense of the word.

VeryAngryFelid wrote:23:
I still remember that game, it was CSDC. I created a kill hole in Pan to kill a single torturous warmonger

VeryAngryFelid wrote:The death would not probably happen in latest versions where max monster damage is displayed.

I have two remarks.

1.) Extended, that is, more specifically Abyss, Pan and Hells are even worse than late game in my opinion, but I absolutely admit that I do not have a well founded opinion, because I only went for 15 runes one time. That experience was enough for me.
So I cannot comment on how hard it is. I can tell you that if you want to streak the simple good strategy is to not enter extended. So from the streak viewpoint of Berder this death can be dismissed.
I also can tell you my feeling about extended. There are a huge, huge amount of non/treatening situations. Lot and lot of floors. And I guess you can run into dangerous situations. It is very likely, since the game is random and there are many floors. But I absolutely sure that it is more of some deathtrap vaults and extended being very long, rather than extended being hard in general. The random pan lords just worsen this problem. Most of them are harmless, and then you find one which is permanently faster then you hasted and casts glaciate and has chaos melee or something. The deathtrap vaults (like Tomb3) can be fun sometimes to find a solution, but they do not offer great replayability.

2.) Monster damage not displayed was a huge source of late game deaths. And, again, this shows that you use "hard" in a different sense. Yes, late game requires more game knowledge. I did not remember anybody saying the opposite. I never read in the forum that you need more spoilers for the early game than for the late game. However, if you have this knowledge, then it is more boring. Your available tools are simply much stronger than the challenge. A good strategy is much easier to find than in the early game.

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Another 23: ..

But, uhm, why did you die? By being too lazy to retreat from three normal speed monsters? By fighting a huge pack in a bad position, where you cannot break LOS easily if new monsters show up?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 14:16

I don't remember details. There was at least one caustic shrike so probably retreating was not an option.

I feel like our discussion is meaningless. Late game gives you more options indeed but early game you don't need them, it is enough to just retreat by walking. So you call late game easy because you have more consumables/tools and I call it harder because early game I don't even need a consumable/tool to survive.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 14:22

For Berder and VeryAngryFelid, I would like to talk about the experience and feelings of a much worse player than you, to explain why I do not believe you, despite I admit than I am worse.

Here are some of my feelings when I attempted to streak:

Attempt one. After a win, start some octopode. On D2, a centaur shows up and kills me in like 2 turns.
My feeling: What on earth streakers do to avoid this death? I am bad at this game.
Attempt two. After a win, start a mummy. Dies in Depths autoexploring into a vault, not using any of my 8 blink scrolls or god abilities or anything.
My feeling: I do not have the patience streakers have. I got bored in the second part of the game and not watching at all what I am doing.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 14:28

sanka wrote:Attempt one. After a win, start some octopode. On D2, a centaur shows up and kills me in like 2 turns.
My feeling: What on earth streakers do to avoid this death? I am bad at this game.

Train stealth ;) Almost no kidding, some years ago I calculated chance to be noticed by sleeping/wandering Ce for Op depending on Stealth training and was surprised how useful Stealth was.

Attempt two. After a win, start a mummy. Dies in Depths autoexploring into a vault, not using any of my 8 blink scrolls or god abilities or anything.
My feeling: I do not have the patience streakers have. I got bored in the second part of the game and not watching at all what I am doing.

Don't worry, that Mu should have died to a Ce with flaming longbow on D:2 and unlike Op it would be a bad idea to train stealth in ring mail with -2 aptitude ;)

Edit. Don't listen to me, I am not a streaking greateroctopode unlike Berder ;)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 29th August 2018, 20:36

Try not picking bad races while on a streak.

Yes, the elite players can streak terrible races and combos, but if you just want a respectable streak (five), you should be pairing beefy races like Ho and Mi and Mf with backgrounds from the left two columns.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Thursday, 30th August 2018, 01:27

Btw, on one point above: SpBe can use needle-stabbing. Trog gifts lots of needles.

Of course, using a crossbow is possible too.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 30th August 2018, 12:59

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I feel like our discussion is meaningless. Late game gives you more options indeed but early game you don't need them, it is enough to just retreat by walking.

In the late game it is still enough to just retreat by walking, if you explore manually and slowly, just like in the early game.

For this message the author sanka has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 1st September 2018, 00:14

Just out of curiosity, I checked my streak breakers: HoAr of Nem (level 8), SpCK of Xom (5), TeCK of Xom (7), DgSu (20), FeAr of Nem (16), NaAr of Nem (11), TeEn of Ru (17), VSMo (5), HETm (1), TrWz (13), GhBe of Trog (21), FoSk of WJC (12), GrNe (4).

Obviously CK is not good for streaks. What's up with the Ar of Nem combo? Well, when I play Ar I always put 50% of exp in Evo for a challenge. This is not good for streaking either :)

All in all, I seem to have pretty equal mix of low level and high level streak breakers. The TrWz died in Slime, trying to get to a Jiyva altar...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi
Next

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner