Make everything capable of swapping places with your summons

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 8th June 2018, 03:02

Make everything capable of swapping places with your summons

That way they still are a damage source, but lose the ability to block the movement and melee of monsters. (And are less effective at providing cover for LOS attacks)

(This is sort of the opposite solution proposed by VAF in his no summon swapping thread)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 10th June 2018, 04:33

Re: Make everything capable of swapping places with your sum

I have often thought the same "solution" myself. It's not clear whether it would be a good idea, but it's interesting.

One thing to note is that it might lead to asymmetric behaviour with monster summons. Or, if you made the situation symmetrical (i.e. you could trade places with enemy summons), then it would be somewhat annoying. For instance, when the player is bumping into a summons, do they want to kill it, or are they trying to swap places with them? We could make the default behavior as follows: moving into a summon trades places; to attack the summons, one does Ctrl-<dir>.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th June 2018, 15:40

I'm fine with either an asymmetric solution, or with the worky-type control-direction solution (It's not especially common that I can't engage monster summoners if I really want to, I mean it happens, but it's not the usual case)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 10th June 2018, 23:41

Asymmetric. Monster summons block you, but your summons don't block them if they want to move toward you rather than attack their incoming damage source. Remove XP penalty for damage from summons.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 12th June 2018, 18:59

bel wrote:I have often thought the same "solution" myself. It's not clear whether it would be a good idea, but it's interesting.

One thing to note is that it might lead to asymmetric behaviour with monster summons. Or, if you made the situation symmetrical (i.e. you could trade places with enemy summons), then it would be somewhat annoying. For instance, when the player is bumping into a summons, do they want to kill it, or are they trying to swap places with them? We could make the default behavior as follows: moving into a summon trades places; to attack the summons, one does Ctrl-<dir>.

Monster summons are already asymmetric. They have no population limit, no duration limit, they can fight things outside their summoner's LOS, etc.

For this message the author genericpseudonym has received thanks: 3
Cornercat, duvessa, nago

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner