TSO, Kiku, And Luggy...and Brands

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Sunday, 10th June 2018, 02:20

TSO, Kiku, And Luggy...and Brands

So, just a thought.

Generally speaking, the brand options given by these gods are not the greatest things around. Most players will have an endgame weapon that would benefit from, say, elec or the like moreso, and will likely have artefact weapons for much of the game. Holy Wrath and Distortion are both powerful, but there is no guarantee you'll actually need the option of getting that brand.

And besides, branding a weapon like that is just...not flavorful (IMO).

What I think would be cool is if these gods granted those brand effects passively to your weapons. So you have the Arga axe. That axe now also has the Holy Wrath effect because you are at max piety with TSO.

Or maybe your +9 demon whip "Ilkje" {elec, +6 dex rN++ rF+} has distortion effect because of Lug. etc.

Thoughts?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 10th June 2018, 04:07

Re: TSO, Kiku, And Luggy...and Brands

Pain is extremely good. It outperforms electrocution at 10+ Necromancy skill, and it's a safe assumption that Kiku characters will have 10+ Necromancy skill. Almost every remotely relevant monster that is immune to pain is also immune/resistant to flaming/freezing/electrocution/venom/draining/vampirism so don't even try bringing up aliches or OOFs or whatever.
Distortion is similarly powerful, if annoying. Passive pain/distortion on top of other brands would be disgustingly overpowered, and in the case of distortion it would also piss players off.

Holy wrath is admittedly irrelevant in most of the game, but I really don't like the idea of players going through Hells/Pan with the +8 longbow "Zephyr" {speed, holy, Dex+3 SInv}. I think holy wrath itself needs to change instead.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Airwolf, bel, nago, VeryAngryFelid

Snake Sneak

Post Monday, 11th June 2018, 14:43

So make it an invocable god power to grant a temporary brand over top of your weapon, then. Like the Excruciating Wounds spell, with the caveat that it can be applied to any weapon (artifact or otherwise) and does not overwrite the existing brand. Or maybe it does, whatever, that's a balancing issue that I'm not familiar with since I've never seen how obscenely broken a double-branded weapon would be - but I think in order to clearly separate it from the existing branding spell, it should be somewhat more powerful as a max-piety god gift should be.

Alternatively, make it a toggled effect that drains MP/hunger/piety(?) on every hit like Infusion, except it's much better than Infusion because it is. I personally like the idea of burning both MP and piety to wreath your weapon in holy flame or chaotic forces temporarily, potentially indefinitely until you drop down to four- or five-star piety status or run out of MP. In this way we would get a similar, but more regularly usable, effect as the permanent brand, so long as you can keep piety up. A devout TSO worshipper with a source of channeling might just be able to clear the whole Crypt/Tomb with Holy Wrath active, for example, but in a different situation where you wouldn't be able to keep piety up so well, the buff becomes a tactical decision since it burns piety every turn for a very large benefit.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th June 2018, 17:49

Dealing extra damage for piety would overlap with cleansing flame, corrupt and receive corpses.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 11th June 2018, 18:18

PseudoLoneWolf wrote:but I think in order to clearly separate it from the existing branding spell, it should be somewhat more powerful as a max-piety god gift should be.
It is more powerful. You get the brand permanently without the need to cast a 15 noise spell. That's a big deal.

If that isn't enough, then removing Excruciating Wounds is a much better idea than making one of the strongest gods even stronger.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner