IDEAS

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Sunday, 29th April 2018, 20:43

IDEAS

Yeah I'm new here so I'm a bit confused how this work. I just want to show some of my ideas here, if this is the wrong place, i'm sorry.

IDEAS: (not really well thought)

1. A God of Food, that allowed the player to consume every type of food, even poisoned, without limit. A prototype of a piety mechanic it would be: accumulate
calories that you would gain from consuming food with the purpose to act as currency for the use of God abilities. Some interesting abilities that I come up with was:
- The transformation of creatures into chocolate. I just thought the possibility of use that in a Dragon it would be fun.
- Creation of explosive cotton candy clouds. (I'm not really sure about this one.)
- Production of sentient biscuits shaped as animals or humans.

Note: Regarding this God, it would require the variety of food that exist in other versions to work properly.

2. The undead being known as Wight as a playable Species, for only one reason. They look like a Nazgûl. Playing with that in mind, would be pretty badass.
Another playable species, could be a chimera, a failed experiment. Like I don't known, possibly a half shark, half boar on fire or electricity ? With the potential for evolution through the levels.

3. Visiting a old idea, is the dual wielding. I think there is a easy solution for the problems regarding that subject. How about take the God Okawaru and apply dual wielding as one of his abilities ? In form of a temporally skill that allow the user to wield any one-hand weapon in each hand (its supposed to be strong).

4. The Harbinger form. - Is a high level spell that combines transmutation and element magic. For example with Fire, you would temporally transform into a walking sun that would burn everything inside your range area; with Electricity you would temporally gain inhuman speed and electricity damage as you attack and to anyone that attacks you; with Earth your body would temporally turn into a stone titan; with venom your character would temporally be swallowed by a clock of poisonous liquid that act as poison and acid for beast inside your range area; witch ice you would temporally be like a dementor from the harry potter, causing freezing effects with just your presence.

5. More Summons ! Uncommon books with exotics creatures. For instance a book with a large variety of spiders or snakes specimens.

6. Water spells ? Steam base attacks, make massive floods in dungeon floors that kill instantly creatures that can breed, high pressure water attacks, mist...
- Detach air and electricity from each other, and make them different schools.

7. No more for now.

P.s. Sorry for any spelling mistakes.

(Mod edit: moved from Suggestions)

For this message the author V3000 has received thanks:
chequers

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 07:40

Re: IDEAS

Typically, you'd want to post your ideas one at a time, to give room for a discussion of each one, rather than group spamming a bunch of unrelated ideas in the same thread (just imagine trying to have a conversation about all these topics at the same time with different people, it just wouldn't go well)

This is in fact the wrong place, typically you'd want to put ideas that you're just 'spitballing', that you want to throw out there and discuss and get feedback on, in Tavern>Crazy Yuif's Corner, if you have a fully fleshed out proposal, that seems coherent and like developers might be interested in, you'll post that in Game development Discussion, be aware though, that discussion of ideas in GDD is pretty nitpicky, it's a high level of critique, and people will point out any holes or possible problems with your idea, and even if it's generally well thought of (possibly after a little babtism by fire) it's still up to individual contributors to decide if they're motivated to actually do any work to make your idea a reality (unless you're motivated enough to actually create your contribution yourself) And once you actually have something to contribute, the rest of the development group will have a *second* baptism by fire, after which you may possibly see your idea in the game.

I don't say that to be discouraging, just to give you the understanding that you have to be passionate, competent, and persistent to see the things you want to see in the game.

*this* forum is actually intended for suggestions and critisizms of *the forums themselves* rather than the game so I suspect this topic will be moved when an admin notices it's in the wrong place. It's also not very popularly frequented.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
V3000

Temple Termagant

Post Monday, 30th April 2018, 20:39

Thank you very much for replying and spared the time to make helpful suggestions; explaining the properly place to put this kind of subject; and for tell me about the rules concerning the integration of ideas in the game.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 22:05

Again a general warning that complex ideas have a very low success rate, but as someone else who likes to speculate about features and has too much free time, here's some thoughts:

1) food god. Food is generally unliked and isn't super important - it's mostly used to make sure you're moving forward. If you wanted to use food as piety, that basically means you get piety when you kill a monster and it leaves edible chunks. The way most gods work now is you just get piety when killing a monster. It's essentially the same system, just without the worry about "did the monster leave an edible corpse?" And rather than making you butcher/pick up/sac the chunks, it's just done automatically, letting you focus on the fun part of actually killing things. As for the active abilities of turning things into chocolate or candy explosions, those are basically already in the game, just not food themed: polymorph wands, Jiyva's slimify for transmuting, and any sort of aoe damage spell (aka fireball) for explosions.

2) Races are generally centered around mechanics rather than flavor, and they're trying to avoid leaning too much on Lord of the Rings characters/races.

3) Duel wielding is a common idea that just doesn't really work with crawl's system, it's on the "won't do" list.

4) this is probably the most promising suggestion, but it's still way too incomplete/thought out. There's too much going on here for one spell; but I do think there's room in the game for another high level transmutation; fire or air/electric would be one that doesn't have any overlap. A fire transmutation that passively damages anything within a range of 2 from you? Has some potential, but you'd need to figure out exactly how it works.

For 5 and 6 both, the goal is to have all spell schools/summons do something different; they don't want 8 different spells that all do the same thing, just with a different type. There's already a decent amount of duplication across spell schools, because some spells are just necessary for a caster style to work. So you have basically "bolt" spells in all schools and generally level 5/6 - some relatively high range spell that fires straight at a monster, usually with piercing (bolt of fire, cold, magma), or sometimes without (poison arrow, iron shot). But you'd want to avoid duplication as much as possible.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 2
Fingolfin, Stairdancer

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 18:12

Thank you for the feedback. I'm just gone use some time to think about those suggestions and soon I will put something together as a answer

For this message the author V3000 has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Mines Malingerer

Post Wednesday, 2nd May 2018, 19:09

#'s 4, 5 and 6 made me think of something: Unrandart spells. Generally casters always play the same once you have the spells/ books you want while weapon users get weird weapons every now and then to break up the monotony. It would require some effort to think of enough spells with weird or diverse enough (side-) effects to make it worth while but it seems promising. Planning to go caster but found a scroll or learn treeform? You may ignore it or find a creative use for it later. (These would be in scrolls that do not go into your spell library, you also have to use them like a regular scroll and they are consumed on use.)

(I take it this thread is for throwing out random IDEAS?)

Spider Stomper

Post Thursday, 3rd May 2018, 20:15

Ring of flames is basically number 4.

For this message the author Plantissue has received thanks:
Midn8

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 11th May 2018, 18:25

Plantissue wrote:Ring of flames is basically number 4.

It may seem similar, but this one would focus on melee. The main thing would be your hands covered in fire that would do the central job, the damage done within range is just the first line of defense that’s why, is a transmutation/elemental spell.

The Harbinger Form: As your skin ignites in flames, the air around will start waving on heat, roasting anything that comes near you.

Basics:

- Enhanced Unarmed Combat – your burning hands will cause severe fire damage, melting right through the enemy’s skin;
- Fire immunity;
- Cold Resistance (rCold+) – weak cold attacks, are not enough to bring you down;
- Strong Negative energy resistance (rN++) – few dark energies can eclipse the sun.
- “Passively damages anything within a range of 2 from you” (tasonir suggestion) – scorching temperatures surrounds you;
- Enemies that attack you will get damaged – too hot to touch;
- All equipment except for rings and amulets meld into your body;
- Incandescent Iron (passive ability) - the fire mixed in your skin will make you similar to a red hot-piece of iron, therefore, the more you get hit, the more AC you gain. Initial AC set to 4, you’ll get +1 for each hit you endure;
- Spell-casting blocked;
- When you step on shallow waters, the water evaporates. Deep waters will extinguish your flames;
- Decent duration;
- Can’t quaff potions;
- Produces noise;
- The high focus required to control this form, makes you immune to: Confusion, Berserk, Fear and the Mesmerized effect;
- Your blazing form doesn’t allow constrictions, and that applies for objects too, any net that tries to catch you, will be reduced to cinders;
- Corona status - the glow from your flames makes you stand out;
- Undead species and the Vine Stalker, can’t use this spell;
- When it ends, rends you vulnerable, weak, occasionally makes you pass out and prevents the same spell use for some time.

(Suggestions!)

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 11th May 2018, 18:35

Cornercat wrote:#'s 4, 5 and 6 made me think of something: Unrandart spells. Generally casters always play the same once you have the spells/ books you want while weapon users get weird weapons every now and then to break up the monotony. It would require some effort to think of enough spells with weird or diverse enough (side-) effects to make it worth while but it seems promising. Planning to go caster but found a scroll or learn treeform? You may ignore it or find a creative use for it later. (These would be in scrolls that do not go into your spell library, you also have to use them like a regular scroll and they are consumed on use.)

(I take it this thread is for throwing out random IDEAS?)

Taking into account this spells that I come up with, I just want to say that some are more achievable than others. The goal was having fun while breathing this stuff. I also want to apologize in advance for the wave of ideas in the same thread, even though someone warned me about this I couldn’t restrain myself. If is too much, just pick two or three.

(Answering that question: yes is for random ideas, kind of.)

IDEAS:

1. The Golden Elephant: Summons a unique beast as a persistent companion that automatically feeds itself with your golden coins to regenerate HP. If your money runs out, it will start eating from your own life pool. – Despite the name, it’s not an elephant, is just an expression. I don’t know what creature could be, perhaps a mutant beast? Suggestions are welcomed!

2. King of Sheep’s: In exchange for 7 points of your intelligence, your thoughts gain life as seven clouds that reshapes into human looking sheep’s, armored with rapiers, cloaks, gloves and boots. They will then engage in a royal battle to the death, the last sheep standing will gain the honor to serve the player (as a constant summon) until his demise - when your companion perishes, you gain back your 7 intelligence points. - Extra stuff: the wool blanket works as a natural armor; on the top of the head lies a pair of horns; the winner will get a random name.

3. Sweet Vapours: Conjures a 5x5 cloud mixed with honey that will attract some friendly and hostile bees. – Temporarily appearances.

4. Enraged Bubbles: Conjures a homing seeking bubble filled with foam that will target a random enemy. After the impact, there is a 50% chance that when it bursts, will coat the enemy in foam smoothing his body and making him temporarily weak (status); if that doesn’t happen is probably because de foam got in his eye, leading him to go berserk. – There is a 100% chance from smoothing an eyeless beast and a 100% chance in temporary blindness for eyeballs (except the great orb of eyes).

5. Electric Juggernaut: A glowing blue starts to arise from your arms and through the skin, a set of malleable sharp teeth tempered with electricity emerges. - Simply put, it’s a transmutation that covers your arms with electrical spikes, the glowing blue is a side effect from accumulated energy.

- Enhanced Unarmed Combat – the spikes covering your hand will be treated as claws mutation rank 2, dealing additional damage with a chance of cause bleeding plus stun;
- Electricity resistance (rElec+);
- Superior Swiftness - the energy that flows in your body makes you fast (movement delay is reduced by 30%);
- Superior Agility – +10 evasion, +10 dexterity;
- +30% damage bonus to all melee attacks – speed builds momentum;
- Can’t quaff potions or spell-casting;
- No equipment melds into your character;
- Paralysis immunity;
- Medium duration;
- The Spriggan, The Octopode and The Gargoyle can’t use this spell;
- After effects: Slow, Exhaustion, Orange Drain and spell disabled until reaches Yellow Drain, if used on Yellow, it will reach Red Drain;

6. Translucid Ping-Pong: Is a breath attack that imprisons the enemy in a translucent rubber ball made of air that you can strike and send it flying against other enemies. – Limited to small and medium size foes; the thing inside the bubble only suffers minor damage (you can cast it in yourself); maybe 10 turns duration? After used you need time to catch your breath to do it again; it bounces off in enemies (causing some damage in the enemies and minor damage to the passenger each time that rebounds in something), and walls;

7. Green Siren: Casts a seed to a close tile that burrows in the ground and instantly sprouts as a singing plant. The singing plant is like a normal plant, but creates a continuous noise that will attract a lot of unwanted attention. In return it will create a 7x7 zone where the sound causes you to go on a hallucination trip where you think that you are a warrior, and by believing, it becomes real.

- Those delusions will manifest in the form of spectral equipment (treated as an transmutation): sword, shield, armor, helmet, boots and gloves;
- Flayed Damage – the only type of damage that you can cause, which will disappear if you step out of the designated area, the plant gets destroyed or if time runs out;
- Leaving the 7x7 area makes the plant disappear as well as your spectral knight form;
- Chanting length is medium and when it’s over, the plant evaporates;
- The fighting, long blades, short blades, armour and shields skills will get a temporary level boost;
- Berserk, Confusion, Corrosion, Fear, Flayed, Paralysis and Mesmerized immunity;
- Strong Magic and Negative resistance – (rNeg++), (MR++);
- Deflecting Missiles Status;
- All gear except for rings and amulets meld into your body;
- Very loud continuous noise;
- Can’t quaff potions or spell-casting;
- The Minotaur, The Draconian, The Troll, The Centaur, The Naga, The Spriggan, The Ogre, The Tengu, The Formicid, The Octopode and The Felid can’t use this spell;
- After effects: Confusion and spell disabled for some turns;

8. Bright Dreams: You fall asleep, and above your body, pops out a floating eye that’s magically connected with you, so you can appreciate the spectacle rain of burning butterflies that will start falling from the sky/ceiling. They will dove upon random tiles (7x7 area limit) and cause some damage in those who hit. Don’t worry, your square it’s protected from that, unfortunately, while sleeping you are vulnerable for any attack that comes.

9. Ooze Form: Requires 2 potions of degeneration that will be automatically quaffed when you activate this spell. Your skin will start melting in a river of purple goo, drowning you in several layers until you grow into an ooze balloon, with two arms shaped as eggplants and a small fiendish looking head.
- Enhanced Unarmed Combat – UC + 20, plus great poison and acid damage;
- Natural AC set to 20;
- 34% guaranteed damage reduction;
- Really fast regeneration;
- +10 Strength;
- Rot, Poison, Corrosion, Drain, Berserk, Confusion, Mesmerized, Bleeding, Constriction and Acid immunity - you are a unstoppable force of nature;
- Electricity, Magic and Negative energy resistance – (rElec+), (MR+), (rN+);
- Fire and Cold vulnerability - (rFire--), (rCold--)
- Olgreb’s Toxic Radiance effect;
- Fairly long duration;
- All types of jelly becomes friendly;
- Can’t quaff potions or spell-casting
- All equipment with no exceptions meld into your body;
- The base cost of all actions is increased by 50%;
- Natural Evasion set to 0 – You can’t dodge;
- High hunger cost negated by killing stuff, automatically dissolving their body’s in nutrients when killed, sadly, you also destroy all their equipment in the process;
- Requires 2 potions of degeneration to activate the spell;
- The Mummy, The Ghoul and The Felid can’t use this spell;
- The Octopode will become an abhorrent tentacle blob;
- After effects: Vulnerable, Sick, Yellow Rot and attributes reduced by the 2 potions of degeneration;

10. Unbound Energy: casts a spell similar to mystic blast that through the air develops sentience and goes rogue. It starts moving with free will and develops magical arms that it uses, to smack a bunch of random enemies at a random number of times. However, eventually it will rise against you, on an explosive suicide attack, leading to fair damage.

(Suggestions!)

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 11th May 2018, 18:43

New Specie Concept

Brief Story:

Ouroboros, a specie, and a nation of one. – Sad story, legend says he was once perceived as the god of food, a loathed title, which builds on the foundations of his own demise. – On that unfathomable day, a madness started whispering in the ears of men, as they marched through the dungeon slaughtering all those who dared to know his name.
Plunging in oblivion, he was bit by bit forgotten, until, he was no more. However, that was not the end, he managed to crawl out from the void itself and be reborn as a being whose deaths were mere setbacks, as each time he died, he would return. Reshaped from foul clouds lurking on those endless halls of horrors on the Abyss, he his brought forth into this earth once more, so he can walk again the path of a god.

Basics:

- Starts every time in the first floor of the Abyss;
- Can’t worship any god because you are on a mission to become one, instead you gain through the levels powerful unique abilities;
- Skin cover in dark red scales (AC+4) ant two small horns on top of the head;
- Blindness, but he can sense the enemies – can see the invisible and feel monsters through walls, but suffers on accuracy;
- Berserk Induction – ability that makes one target enemy going berserk;
- Quick regenerates HP and Mana fueled by enraged enemies - can’t regenerate health and magic by waiting, potions and wands still works;
- Berserk immunity;
- Can wear any gear except helmets;
- Slow Metabolism 1;
- Attributes: Strength of 6, Intelligence of 7 and Dexterity of 11;
- Magic and Negative Energy resistance – (MR++), (rN++);

(Incomplete, but which are your thoughts?)

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 15th May 2018, 21:52

> Berserk Induction – ability that makes one target enemy going berserk;

Regardless of the present context, this seems very interesting to me as a god ability or spell
make food great again

Temple Termagant

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 17:57

Same for me, don’t know if it’s because the same reasons, but for me is due to the risk-benefit situation. I found that concept really interesting.
That’s basically what I was doing with the spells in the thread above this topic. Enduring the negative effects from the consumption of degeneration potions and be temporarily granted abnormal amounts of power or sacrificing stat points to summon a permanent companion?
Maybe in Summer I will try make some of this stuff myself. Can someone who knows coding please tell me, relating to those spells of 1 to 10, what kind of difficulty am I facing? Medium? Hard? Really Hard?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 18:38

pedritolo wrote:> Berserk Induction – ability that makes one target enemy going berserk;

Regardless of the present context, this seems very interesting to me as a god ability or spell

Exists Via frenzy needle (also mass frenzy induction by way of the discord spell)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Shoals Surfer

Post Wednesday, 30th May 2018, 21:25

Siegurt wrote:
pedritolo wrote:> Berserk Induction – ability that makes one target enemy going berserk;

Exists Via frenzy needle (also mass frenzy induction by way of the discord spell)

true but in those cases the target aggroes everything. In this new case, the target would zerk but still remain hostile to the player only, so maybe it's an interesting way to disable spellcasters or mobs with dangerous abilities, like a vault warden. Would you really want a vault warden zerked? In some circumstances, maybe yes, like being able to keep another monster between you. Meanwhile the warden couldn't block exits, and/or you could wait for the warden to become slowed.
make food great again

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner