What's the Purpose of Troll Hunger Special?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 27th April 2018, 10:46

What's the Purpose of Troll Hunger Special?

I mean, you grow hungry much faster, but you also can eat anything. So the only levels where this might be a problem are Crypt, the Tomb, and maybe Hell (if Hell Knights aren't spawned). Since this could only be a limitation to spellcasting, I assume that the objective is to make sure that you can't cast spell in these branches? If that's so, that's a lot of keypresses to ensure a certain behaviour in some extended floors that very few players will ever reach.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th April 2018, 11:00

Re: What's the Purpose of Troll Hunger Special?

There is no purpose other than flavor IMHO. We have an extreme example of Troll with Firestorm, 27 rations after casting Fire storm 492 times in 3 rune game, that's enough for crypt/tomb/hell whatever.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 2
genericpseudonym, nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 14:41

Being a stickler yes, but it can still matter in games where one has taken a more challenging route with spellcasting, or used a vampiric weapon.

Niche cases to be sure, but hey I'm fussy.

There are also quite a few features that get more attention at one part of the game than another, as it's currently structured. For example, poison/stealth use is rather more popular in early/mid game while TSO gets a lot more late game following. You could see this as just another feature that has disproportionate impact (arguably) in the earlier levels if odd things happen (such as meeting a hungry ghost out of depth, or picking up a really tempting mid-level spell and wizardry ring but oh the hunger). Whether one enjoys such a distribution of feature focus is another question, of course...
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 17:13

It is quite a few keypresses to play troll. Why not have them auto eat chunks by default? I assume you can do this in your preferences (such as on rest/ explore), but it would be a quality of life improvement for the newbies who are probably on information overload anyways.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 17:48

Cornercat wrote:It is quite a few keypresses to play troll. Why not have them auto eat chunks by default? I assume you can do this in your preferences (such as on rest/ explore), but it would be a quality of life improvement for the newbies who are probably on information overload anyways.

I have the following code in my rcfile, in the 'ready' function, it should more or less do what you want :
  Code:
if you.gourmand() then
    crawl.setopt("auto_butcher = very full")
  else
    crawl.setopt("auto_butcher = hungry")
  end

If you haven't modified the 'ready' function, you can simply paste this in your rcfile :
  Code:
{
function ready()
  if you.gourmand() then
    crawl.setopt("auto_butcher = very full")
  else
    crawl.setopt("auto_butcher = hungry")
  end
end
}
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 1st May 2018, 19:05

Thank you for the code but I was mostly calling into question why thats not in by default. Newbies aren't likely to realize that preferences exist or be tech savvy enough to be messing with it or care enough to Google what to change before they have started playing. Lately Crawl's development focus has been about removing tedium so I thought I would call this one out.

The only potential reason I see not to change it is that Newbies may not realize hunger exists or that they are auto butchering / eating to get rid of it.. but that does require knowing auto explore exists first.

For this message the author Cornercat has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 7th May 2018, 16:18

stoneychips wrote:Being a stickler yes, but it can still matter in games where one has taken a more challenging route with spellcasting, or used a vampiric weapon.
Very curious about how this could possibly make it matter, since trolls get the same amount of hunger from spellcasting as everyone else, vampiric weapons haven't increased your hunger rate since nearly a decade ago, and also who uses weapons on a troll?

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 8th May 2018, 15:41

duvessa wrote:
stoneychips wrote:Being a stickler yes, but it can still matter in games where one has taken a more challenging route with spellcasting, or used a vampiric weapon.
Very curious about how this could possibly make it matter, since trolls get the same amount of hunger from spellcasting as everyone else, vampiric weapons haven't increased your hunger rate since nearly a decade ago, and also who uses weapons on a troll?

Because you would be dealing with hunger from spellcasting "in a more challenging route", so probably meaning casting higher level spells with wizardry etc, in addition to the increased hunger native to trolls.

I'm pretty sure they are referring to vampiric weapons causing hunger if they are used with in conjunction with other brands, a launcher, or an enhancer staff, etc. because of the swapping requiring you to eat back to full before re-wielding the vampiric weapon.

I've used weapons on a troll before, it's not some far out thing, especially in the context of discussing vampiric weapons. A vampiric axe for example can at times be more useful than the claws.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner