Let's Rework Ash and Remove Curses

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 19th April 2018, 00:13

Let's Rework Ash and Remove Curses

For example, *contamination is more interesting than curses. Contamination isn't cured by a scroll. More importantly: an item with *contamination maintains a strategic aspect to using it even if you have a pile of scrolls.

Remove curses, remove the ID minigame, instead of curses slap contamination on random items in the dungeon. So you find a ring of fire, or one of +3 slaying, with *contamination: you can use them, but you already know what's the catch, if you want to let them down. And that's the beauty of it: it is YOUR choice, not that of the RNG, about when the first scroll of remove curses will appear. The player is in control.

*Drain is similar to *contamination, and could also be used. It also strikes indiscriminately, unlike contamination, which makes distinctions between alive and undead. However, its weight decreases at higher levels.

So you can remove scrolls of ID and remove curse, and instead have Ash curse your items with contamination. Make it piety based, or XP based, or based off some other items (wand charges?). Slight debuff to Ash, since all characters already ID everything on sight.

Then you could pay more wand charges or piety or whatever to remove the contamination before you remove the item, or just suck it up.

(The easier version would be limiting curses to Ash and leaving the game free from them except *cursed, with full automatic ID for everyone, but it doesn't seem to have much traction).
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 19th April 2018, 00:34

Re: Let's Rework Ash and Remove Curses

Shtopit wrote:And that's the beauty of it: it is YOUR choice, not that of the RNG, about when the first scroll of remove curses will appear. The player is in control.

Note that it's still up to the RNG, it just shifts the decision from when you find a scroll of remove curse, to when you find the item in the first place. I'm not sure if that really effects the rest of your point, but the floor god still determines what you get and when...
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 19th April 2018, 17:17

Re: Let's Rework Ash and Remove Curses

I will say that I hate draining more than most anything in the early game (and still loathe it in the mid-game). Contamination is doable, but still annoying.

This post seems to overlook the fact that [quote=Shtopit]remove the ID minigame[/quote] should be the only thing in this post. Who in God's green earth (or Xom's Dark Dungeon for that matter) would remove the ID minigame...only to replace it with effects that are ostensibly MORE troublesome?

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner