Change Robe of Night description

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 00:45

Change Robe of Night description

A while ago there were big discussions about why Crawl shouldn't reference things from the real world, yet the robe of Night's description mentions a Hindu goddess when Crawl has a perfectly good god of darkness.

In-game description wrote:A long black robe made of strange glossy material. It shrouds its wearer in
darkness, reducing the range of vision. According to legend, it was the gift of
Ratri the Goddess of the Night to one of her followers.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

For this message the author Fingolfin has received thanks: 3
Airwolf, duvessa, Tumalu

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 04:00

Re: Change Robe of Night description

The proposed change doesn't do any harm, since it's just a cosmetic change. The reason given, however, makes little sense.

If things in the real world are supposed to be removed from Crawl, please also remove long swords, falchions, rapiers, short swords, plate armour, halberds, leather armour, robes, rations, corpses, amulets, rings, books, scrolls and potions (among other things).

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 06:16

https://crawl.develz.org/tavern/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23390
This is what I am talking about, specifically :
duvessa wrote:I also find it jarring when Crawl takes a name from mythology and only the name. Artistic license is fine - Crawl's minotaurs and rakshasas diverge pretty heavily from their sources but they still have recognizable elements; minotaurs have bull heads and rakshasas have illusions and raiju are lightning dogs. I cannot say the same of Crawl's daevas, eidola, or Tzitzimeh, which are pretty much unrecognizable - it seems like the names were chosen specifically to tie the game further into real-world religions. Also yes I know Crawl's interpretations of Asmodeus, Ereshkigal, Tiamat, and Dispater were copied from Dungeons & Dragons (fixing that would be a lot of work I guess).

The worst offenders: direct references to real-world locations or gods without a hint of irony. Majin-Bo has the excuse of being a pun, but not Bow of Krishna "Sharnga" or Ring of Shaolin.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 07:06

yeah, we already have a god of umbra in the game that we could reference

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 17th April 2018, 16:24

While you're at it, there's a ton of uniques (Asterion, Azrael, Bai Suzhen, Khufu, Kirke, Menkaure, Mara, Nessos, Nikola, Sojobo, Arachne, the Lernaean hydra, Psyche and Polyphemus, plus most of Hell) with names lifted straight from the real world, so these should be changed too. Jory is a good example of what these could be reworked into, he's a generic vampire count but he has his own backstory instead of just being called Dracula.

Sojobo is the biggest victim, poor guy got to keep neither of his dicks.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 18th April 2018, 04:16

None of those need to be changed. It's neat to have little references to things outside the game, and mythology is a good source to draw from.

Like, do you really think Jory is a more interesting character than any of those referential ones you mentioned? He's just some vampire dude who casts crystal spear.
Most of the original flavor stuff in crawl is pretty dull, with a few exceptions like orbs of fire.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner