Enable Beogh to all species

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 10:06

Enable Beogh to all species

I mean, if it worked for Dith fire conduct...

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 7
duvessa, nago, Rast, rigrig, Sprucery, Terrapin, Vajrapani

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 13:02

Re: Enable Beogh to all species

Enable TSO for demonspawn

Mines Malingerer

Post Friday, 6th April 2018, 16:04

Enabling TSO for demonspawn could suppress all "evil" mutations. Zin could just remove all racial mutations (permanently). Removes some of the reason to play DS but hey, why not? As I see it, there isn't much inherently evil about DS. Its just their ancestry and I would argue that there is strong flavor for a DS that is suppressing their ancestry.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 15:00

Cornercat wrote:there isn't much inherently evil about DS. Its just their ancestry

i sense that you are unfamiliar with traditional fantasy tropes.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 15:46

I'm more for "change Beogh" and, possibly, "merge a few ally-giving gods together". As long as Beogh is mechanically the way it is now, I'd rather not play it, be it as Orc or anything else.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Majang

Swamp Slogger

Post Monday, 9th April 2018, 15:35

Enable Beogh for everything (except Dg), but replace all "orc" with <your current species>.
When you are not an orc, orcs worship a random other deity instead.

Beogh is an evil deity, worshipped by the cave octopodes native to the dungeon. Only octopodes may devote their service to Beogh, and they must prove their devotion with bloodshed. Especially fervent devotees of Beogh will find octopodish followers flocking to their banner: it is an age of signs and portents, and the octopodes have become increasingly certain that the coming of their Messiah is nigh.
Followers of Beogh can smite their foes, and will even gain octopodish followers of their own, who may be blessed by Beogh in battle and can be recalled as needed. Eventually, followers will gain the power to walk on water. Beogh will sometimes directly intervene to save a follower's life.

Beogh likes it when you or your allied octopodes kill living beings, you or your allied octopodes kill the undead, you or your allied octopodes kill demons and you or your allied octopodes kill holy beings. Beogh especially likes it when you kill the priests of other religions.

Beogh strongly dislikes it when you perform cannibalism, you attack allied octopodes, you desecrate octopodish remains or you destroy octopodish idols.

The orc priest prays to Kikubaaqudgha.
The orc priest calls on the powers of darkness!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 9th April 2018, 16:33

That looks like balance hell, if your followers are a random species. Kobolds vs Draconians.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Monday, 9th April 2018, 20:51

Obviously the solution is to remove all player races as enemies and reflavor orcs as whatever species you're currently playing. So if you play centaur, you can get centaur gold from the centaur mines and have to watch out for centaur priests, centaur sorcerers and centaur warriors, but these have orc priest/sorcerer/warrior stats.

But in all seriousness, Beogh accepting everyone should just be the initial step in an overhaul for the god. There are many problems with long-term ally play in crawl, and making one of the main ally gods more available would help in realizing what these problems are. Optimal Beogh play is much different than anything else in this game, it's pretty telling that there used to be a faction of Korean turncount speedrunners who played some kind of Beogh Crawl Beogh Soup where you had to micromanage your orcs every single turn.

Maybe they still exist, I don't know.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 9th April 2018, 20:59

For the serious proposal, all species would be able to worship, but they all still get orcish followers. The orcs just are willing to accept non orcs as their messiah.

Nice touch about your god giving an octopode the power to walk on water, though :)

Honestly, micromanaging isn't that important, even for the korean speedrunners - it was more about getting a good setup with spear (for the fast attack speed) on warlords. After that pump smite to remove the few really dangerous threats, and then you can just 'walk' through the dungeon without really fighting (fighting takes turns) while your allies killed most things (this takes "zero" turns).

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 10th April 2018, 16:47

Patashu wrote:Enable TSO for demonspawn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellboy
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 13th April 2018, 14:51

I agree this should be done.

I mean, it should still be Orcs ofc. But I could see Orcs accepting a member of a different race as messiah as long as he was just as good at cleaving through stuff as their regular orc messiah

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner