How do you become a DCSS developer?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 00:54

How do you become a DCSS developer?

I always thought there was some explicit process you had to go through, but from googling around there doesn't to be any info on this.

Do you just contribute patches/pull requests, and then wake up one day with an orange name, or something?
16/26 on the way to GreaterOctopode (Win all backgrounds as an Octopode)

Progress so far : OpFi, OpGl, OpWn, OpAr, OpCK, OpMo, OpBe, OpHu, OpVM, OpAM, OpWr, OpFE, OpEE, OpNe, OpTm, OpSk

Crypt Cleanser

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 01:29

Re: How do you become a DCSS developer?

From what I understand it's pretty close to this. Do bugfixes or other stuff that needs doing until the devs get tired of having to approve your commits. Ask around in ##crawl-dev on irc and you'll probably get more info.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 01:47

Iirc the devs explained in an interview that they also put a lot of value on the way in which communication is handled.

The number one most important qualification that the developers discuss when deciding if they should add someone to the official dev team isn’t their design, art, or coding prowess. It’s their social skills. Corin: “One of the first things that will take you out of consideration is if you’re not someone who’s pleasant to work with. And so, though we are all very heterogenous in terms of our feelings about what designs are good, and about what features should be in the game, that doesn’t prevent us from working together. Because we’re just a relatively easy-going group of people.”
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Sunday, 25th March 2018, 20:01

I thought you had to kill an existing dev and wear their skin until it bonded with its new host.

For this message the author Croases has received thanks: 2
nago, pedritolo

Barkeep

Post Monday, 26th March 2018, 15:26

That was what I thought too, hasn't worked so far though
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 2
Doesnt, VeryAngryFelid

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner