Rip in pepperoni Ozocubu's Armour

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 03:30

Rip in pepperoni Ozocubu's Armour

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/f ... f2b944bb23

Goodnight sweet prince, you were too good for this cruel world.

For this message the author Hellmonk has received thanks: 2
nago, VeryAngryFelid

Pandemonium Purger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 03:44

Re: Rip in pepperoni Ozocubu's Armour

Wow, that's a big change.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 03:58

Good change

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 2
Doesnt, duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 06:48

Good change. It is a huge felid (and spriggan) nerf though, as currently they are still fast with Ozo's on. Also this change makes it almost useless with WJC. Incidentally, I'm currently playing a FeIE of WJC who casts Ozo's before most fights...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 08:30

Good change, now players don't need to cast the spell before entering new level. This does not solve problem with casting the spell before opening a door though. I don't see why the spell has not been removed along with Phase Shift.

Edit. Or moved to Transmutations and probably added extra penalties.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 13:31

Obviously we need to have buffs in the game that only provide a benefit when the player is standing in a one-tile-wide corridor or has already lured a monster far away from any potential complicating monsters. That's exactly the situation where the player needs a defense boost, and definitely the tactical situation the player needs more encouragement to stay in at all times.

The problem with Ozocubu's Armour was that it was annoying to put up and encouraged tedious behavior. The attempted solution is to make this problem dramatically worse. I would have preferred that it work passively like the demonspawn mutation, but if that's a no-go just remove it.

For this message the author KoboldLord has received thanks: 4
bhauth, pedritolo, stoneychips, VeryAngryFelid

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 15:34

I was always surprised that Stoneskin got entirely axed from the game a while back, but its "frosty counterpart" survived the trimming with only a modest nerf.

OA has always been a super irritating spell to actually use, despite its compelling benefits pre-nerf.

Maybe this new incarnation of it, + Regeneration Spell + Amulet of the Acrobat, might give some interesting opportunities to recoup HP while remaining stationary AND not worrying (as much) about getting ambushed by random wandering monsters who enter LOS while you are recovering from the last fight. Probably good vs. popcorn mobs, and if something truly nasty enters LOS, just retreat like normal to let Regeneration finish filling your HP reservoir.

EDIT: Ok, flavor-wise or no, I suppose I can't envision a stationary pillar of ice ducking, bobbing, weaving & rolling in any situation ...regardless of what the acrobat amulet normally does, but hey this is a fantasy computer game, so what the f$%k do I know. :)
Last edited by dolemite99 on Friday, 23rd March 2018, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 15:39

Doesn't amulet of the acrobat only work whilst you're actively moving around, though? >_>

With this change it looks like something you only bother learning if you're truly desperate for AC like a felid or octopode, in which case it's now way more of a PITA to use than it used to be.

Snake Sneak

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 15:42

Tumalu wrote:Doesn't amulet of the acrobat only work whilst you're actively moving around, though? >_>

With this change it looks like something you only bother learning if you're truly desperate for AC like a felid or octopode, in which case it's now way more of a PITA to use than it used to be.

Yeah, note to self: No pontificating about Crawl design until 1st cup of coffee has fully hit my bloodstream. Right you are.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 15:53

Does it work while blinking?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Lair Larrikin

Post Friday, 23rd March 2018, 20:32

Actually the amulet does work while waiting, the reasoning in the commit being that you don't want to incentivize people to move back and forth instead of resting like normal. I don't think it works with blink: that's a reading action, not a moving one.

While we're on the topic, I think it's annoying that the amulet doesn't work while going downstairs—that seems like a movement action to me. It might be OP though.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 24th March 2018, 00:41

Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Pandemonium Purger

Post Saturday, 24th March 2018, 03:51

EV buff spell that is broken if you stop moving

shit I think I just described acrobat

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 30th March 2018, 21:10

Ick what an unfun and uninteresting "solution"

For this message the author severen has received thanks:
ZoFy

Barkeep

Post Monday, 2nd April 2018, 16:55

Alternate version: casting ozo's causes you to immediately begin worshipping Chei, even if char is Dg. No wrath incurred, the message you get is "<old_god> takes pity on you"
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks: 3
Fingolfin, stoneychips, Terrapin

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 7th April 2018, 22:04

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Good change, now players don't need to cast the spell before entering new level. This does not solve problem with casting the spell before opening a door though. I don't see why the spell has not been removed along with Phase Shift.

Edit. Or moved to Transmutations and probably added extra penalties.

99% of the "problems" with buff spells like ozo or stoneskin or phase shift are actually problems with the mechanics of timed buffs as a whole, and would be easily fixed just by copying the "permabuff" mechanics from hellcrawl.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 01:34

genericpseudonym wrote:99% of the "problems" with buff spells like ozo or stoneskin or phase shift are actually problems with the mechanics of timed buffs as a whole, and would be easily fixed just by copying the "permabuff" mechanics from hellcrawl.

What are the permabuff mechanics from hellcrawl? NM just saw them in the hellcrawl thread. Bottom question stands though.

"A whole host of buff spells and all form spells have become "permabuffs" that reserve an amount of maximum mp that depends on their spell level and what your success rate would be. The effect continues until you choose to end it, you do something the spell is not compatible with (wear heavy armour with ozos for example), something drops your max mp below zero, or you equip something with the -cast property."

Is there a consensus answer for why the devs don't want that in DCSS? (If that's the case?)
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 8th April 2018, 19:15

mattlistener wrote:
genericpseudonym wrote:99% of the "problems" with buff spells like ozo or stoneskin or phase shift are actually problems with the mechanics of timed buffs as a whole, and would be easily fixed just by copying the "permabuff" mechanics from hellcrawl.

What are the permabuff mechanics from hellcrawl? NM just saw them in the hellcrawl thread. Bottom question stands though.

"A whole host of buff spells and all form spells have become "permabuffs" that reserve an amount of maximum mp that depends on their spell level and what your success rate would be. The effect continues until you choose to end it, you do something the spell is not compatible with (wear heavy armour with ozos for example), something drops your max mp below zero, or you equip something with the -cast property."

Is there a consensus answer for why the devs don't want that in DCSS? (If that's the case?)

Well in my opinion it would definitely be more positive than negative, but the system does have some drawbacks (which the mainline devs apparently see as more serious/concerning than I do).
If buffs are already on from the beginning then there isn't the tactical cost of spending a turn to cast them, which affects balance. Also, since they're just kind of "set it and forget it", buff-focused characters can sometimes end up feeling/playing the same as standard boring magicless otabbers. Though their higher magic skills mean they have an easier time picking up additional useful non-buff spells too.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th May 2018, 21:23

njvack wrote:Alternate version: casting ozo's causes you to immediately begin worshipping Chei, even if char is Dg. No wrath incurred, the message you get is "<old_god> takes pity on you"

This, only seriously.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner