Curses As Clock

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 27th February 2018, 22:59

Curses As Clock

This is something that I haven't seen written yet, and I wonder if it's why the ID / curse system still exists.

Curses limit the amount of swapping you can do with the *curse artifacts. Not a big deal.

More importantly, curses are needed to give a reason to the ID system to exist. If there were no curses, you could just use-ID everything except artifacts, distortion, and Harm.

This way, curses turn into a clock, because you theoretically cannot ID every item in the game, because scroll ID is limited by ID scrolls, and use-ID is limited by curse scrolls.

In practice, I don't think it really changes anything, because I don't remember a game in which I couldn't ID an interesting item for lack of remove curse scrolls. The only exception are Gnolls, I guess.

Curses have something of a role for Ash, but Ash could be simpler, like causing distortion/Zot trap effects when you change your equipment. Or costing rations. Or drain.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th February 2018, 11:07

Re: Curses As Clock

I don't care much about curses on non-artifacts. Ring of teleportation is fun, distortion weapon is strong and I don't use slings and other launchers anyway (unless I am already a primary launcher user and am trying to upgrade the weapon but then negative enchantment is not a big deal). Harm is instantly unequipped unless I am already very weak. The worst thing for me is *Contamination, I wouldn't like to get Berserkitis as it makes the game unfun for me (too much luring)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 28th February 2018, 11:48

There are infinite scrolls of remove curse and identify in the game.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 28th February 2018, 11:58

chequers wrote:There are infinite scrolls of remove curse and identify in the game.

...assuming you spend infinite turns in Pan or Abyss.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 28th February 2018, 12:00

Then there are infinite randarts in the game too :) I remember having problems with item identification in ziggurats.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Majang

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 1st March 2018, 16:43

Inaccuracy and loudness can be no picnic, too.

It's just one more jigsaw element to me, like trying (hoping?) to get gear and spells with most of the stronger powers or most of the right resistances all at the right time. You can have far more remove curse scrolls than you need by mid game IF you are lucky (and often a little cautious -- not picking up stuff you probably won't use much anyway, even a few things that you just might find awesome enchantments on for short-term gain)... But also, some games produce fewer removes (or fewer early ones, the more noticed kind?) than most. It also depends whether you encounter something particular nasty -- or just like to roll this way -- and chug through a bunch of potion types quickly, which you otherwise might have spent ID scrolls on all the way through Lair.

But maybe I'm just a slow learner. :roll:
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner