Enemies spanning multiple tiles

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 11:37

Enemies spanning multiple tiles

(Played a lot of Bloodborne recently, and had some wacky ideas, which may or may not make sense in DCSS)

There are some enemies which span multiple tiles (for instance, tentacles from a Kraken), but the mechanic overall seems underused.

One could think of many variations on the basic concept; one could attack a limb to "stagger" monsters (a la Dark Souls/Bloodborne). Or there could be some kind of cool mechanics derived from the freedom associated with an enemy not confined to one tile.

Of course, it could also mean increase in complexity for no gain. I don't know how it would play out.

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 2
Implojin, Vajrapani

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 14:22

Re: Enemies spanning multiple tiles

For what it's worth, I halfheartedly took a look at this last year when I was working on Maneater Toads.

The tentacle code is a mess, and it probably wouldn't be any good to try to repurpose that for multi-tile monsters that are meant to remain confined within a 2x2 or 3x3. With some massaging you could probably make the existing tentacle code work with monsters that are more amorphous, though. There's also the pathing code to consider, which would presumably need refactoring to handle monsters that are too wide for 1-tile chokepoints.

A possible benefit here would be graphical tiles of varying sizes for 1-tile monsters, which already sort of exist as 2-tile panlords but aren't used much, and it would maybe be good to have that more readily available for things like that recent Ice Fiend tile that roctavian said was hard to fit wings into.

Multitile monsters have some interesting gameplay potential, but would likely be a lot of work to add to Crawl's codebase.

For this message the author Implojin has received thanks:
bel

Dungeon Master

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 16:24

I've thought about this a bit too but currently, the tentacle code is and has been a huge source of edge-case bugs, so it's not a good foundation to base anything on. The whole thing would need to be reengineered, I think.

Also, a large monster that couldn't enter 1-space corridors isn't necessarily a great idea gameplay-wise without something in levelgen being modified to account for luring issues, or something else in the monster's design (or in pathing) countering this. If I were implementing this I'd want start with something amorphous, e.g. a 2x2 thing that shifted to 4-tiles long in a narrow corridor.

Slime Squisher

Post Sunday, 18th February 2018, 19:17

all the monsters are one monster . sometimes space forms between the monster . sometimes the monster seems to go away entirely . but the monster is always there

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 2
chequers, Implojin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 02:20

A big monster that just crashes through and destroys walls would also sidestep the problem of it getting caught up on things.

Zot Zealot

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 05:17

2x2 boulder beetle when

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 3
Fingolfin, prozacelf, Shard1697

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 19th February 2018, 12:21

Shard1697 wrote:A big monster that just crashes through and destroys walls would also sidestep the problem of it getting caught up on things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYViV8p-Ow
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner