Remove Scrolls of Identify

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Swamp Slogger

Post Friday, 16th February 2018, 00:32

Remove Scrolls of Identify

So... I had a crazy idea today. Identification isn't particularly fun, and kind of happens in a rote, automatic way. That said, there's a certain interesting thing about figuring out which potions/scrolls are useful in the early game that turns to tedious wearing and removing of branded armor late in the game. So, in an attempt to maintain that early game risk/reward, but alleviate some of the tedium, I propose the following:

Remove scrolls of identify.
Auto-identify every scroll/potion once you hit a stack of 3.
Reduce the likelihood of degeneration slightly, so it takes longer for them to auto-identify.
Automatically identify all brands, but not enchantment levels or curses.
"Runed <armour slot>" items will now only be "items with a + or - and no brand."

That's it. It feels close to being a suggestion I'm actually serious about - Ash can keep their abilities as-is, and no more putting on every cloak in Zot looking for a cloak of <anything more interesting than just +2.> No more trying on every chain mail in orc looking for something with a brand. I'm not sure how to handle randarts - would it be sufficient to have one auto-identified property on all randarts, and that would be the brand/*corrode/*drain/etc? So you can still try on a randart that winds up being cursed with MR-, but you won't ever try on a distortion weapon accidentally? Also concerning is the fact that you'll have difficulty identifying acquirement vs brand weapon vs holy word, etc. might be too punishing, though I personally never worry too much about that issue and usually read ID all my scrolls anyway.

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 16th February 2018, 02:03

Re: Remove Scrolls of Identify

fr: auto identify everything
remove curse/identification system
remove minus enchant/negative egos

This idea is better
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/papilio.html

Done 15-rune wins with all playable species, backgrounds, gods!

For this message the author papilio has received thanks: 2
Magipi, nago

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 16th February 2018, 19:06

Re: Remove Scrolls of Identify

This exists in hellcrawl along with the removal curse mechanics (since they rapidly become pointless).

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner