Amulet of Harm replacement

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Snake Sneak

Post Thursday, 1st February 2018, 22:44

Amulet of Harm replacement

I'm thinking of creating a pull request to replace Harm with the Amulet of Instruction. Instruction would give a +1 to all skill training (like a manual) while worn and keep the heavy draining on removal.

From my own experience I never use Harm, it makes easy parts easier and (because of spiky damage) the hard parts much worse. I'm a bit concerned that Instruction might be something you only wear in the early to mid game as you're getting initial skills on-line. So the question is, would anyone wear it?

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 1st February 2018, 23:41

Re: Amulet of Harm replacement

argonaut wrote:I'm thinking of creating a pull request to replace Harm with the Amulet of Instruction. Instruction would give a +1 to all skill training (like a manual) while worn and keep the heavy draining on removal.

From my own experience I never use Harm, it makes easy parts easier and (because of spiky damage) the hard parts much worse. I'm a bit concerned that Instruction might be something you only wear in the early to mid game as you're getting initial skills on-line. So the question is, would anyone wear it?

Giving a permanent reward (increased rate of skill training) for a temporary setback (drain) is likely a no go, as you can just replace the amulet after you are done skilling. You could just make it boost the skills themselves while worn, but I have no clue how you would balance that or if it crowds out Ash/Oka.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks: 3
duvessa, ichbins, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 00:35

I'd probably recommend posting serious proposals in GDD with a bit more behind the reasoning. You mention that you never use amulets of harm, but is that everyone's experience? Would it be better to just add your amulet, and keep harm? Is your amulet good enough to stand on its own, or are you just trying to make something better than harm?

As for if amulet of instruction is actually good or not, yeah it's strong enough to be useable, but like floodkiller said, a permanent gain for a temporary drain on removal is likely not a good design.

Zot Zealot

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 01:28

Since this is in CYC: Amulet of Undead. Turns you undead while you wear it. When you remove the amulet, rot and malmutate the player. Also remove the necromutation spell.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 01:33

chequers wrote:Since this is in CYC: Amulet of Undead. Turns you undead while you wear it. When you remove the amulet, rot and malmutate the player. Also remove the necromutation spell.

I'm assuming that this will be like nexoqec malmutate, so it is only 80% bad mutations (and 20% random, which could still be bad), and within a week of it hitting trunk someone will post a speedrun where they "malmutated" their character to have claws 3, robust 2, and regen 1 on d:1.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
chequers

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 05:52

chequers wrote:Since this is in CYC: Amulet of Undead. Turns you undead while you wear it. When you remove the amulet, rot and malmutate the player. Also remove the necromutation spell.
Amulet which replaces level 8 spell??? Will we have amulet of revivification, amulet of death's door and amulet of controlled blink also? :)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 06:03

Maybe an unrandart amulet that gives you a gnoll-like aptitude boost with forced training in all skills, as well as some kind of hefty malus. (It would be utterly broken if found while worshipping Ashenzari, though).

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 13:49

defen wrote:Maybe an unrandart amulet that gives you a gnoll-like aptitude boost with forced training in all skills, as well as some kind of hefty malus. (It would be utterly broken if found while worshipping Ashenzari, though).

Amulet of playing as a gnoll.... will there also be a new race which lets you play as an amulet?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 13:53

Rast wrote:Amulet of playing as a gnoll.... will there also be a new race which lets you play as an amulet?

Code:
You start as an amulet. Welcome to dungeon. Press s to continue.
34354.5 turns have passed. You are picked up.
You are put on.
You are identified.
Curse on you is removed.
You are put off.
You are dropped. Press s to continue.
Sorry, time is up. Dungeon collapses.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks: 3
Nebukadnezar, ololoev, Rast

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 2nd February 2018, 19:27

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Rast wrote:Amulet of playing as a gnoll.... will there also be a new race which lets you play as an amulet?

Code:
You start as an amulet. Welcome to dungeon. Press s to continue.
34354.5 turns have passed. You are picked up.
You are put on.
You are identified.
Curse on you is removed.
You are put off.
You are dropped. Press s to continue.
Sorry, time is up. Dungeon collapses.

*sniff* They grow up so fast. It had a good life.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
ThreeInvisibleDucks

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 13th February 2018, 09:17

I know,

how about if Amulet of Harm became Amulet of resist Mutation, giving rMut status? Wouldn't that be so cool..

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 13th February 2018, 17:24

svendre wrote:I know,

how about if Amulet of Harm became Amulet of resist Mutation, giving rMut status? Wouldn't that be so cool..

Like when it levels up or something? :)
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 13th February 2018, 18:02

If swapping amulets is undesirable, just make them all fragile and ID on sight. Bonus: if you did this there would no longer be a reason for mostly harmful gimmick amulet id traps to exist.

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 4
Majang, mrob, Shtopit, Sprucery

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 14th February 2018, 01:18

amaril wrote:If swapping amulets is undesirable, just make them all fragile and ID on sight. Bonus: if you did this there would no longer be a reason for mostly harmful gimmick amulet id traps to exist.

I really, really, really like this idea. It solves so many problems. Think of all the info you wouldn't need to convey to the player: all those cumbersome mechanics that would disappear, from unavoidable draining for N+++ resistant characters, to having to read the taste of every single chunk you eat.

Have amulets of the same kind stack, maybe even make amulets not take inventory room. You want to swap? Sure, do it, but lose the chance of doing it later --> actual strategic decision.

This is a great, simple, and elegant proposal, I think it would deserve a GDD discussion.

And it also makes amulets more different from scarves.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner