Confusedly removedness

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 08:37

Confusedly removedness

Looks like wands of confusion just disappeared from Trunk 0.21?

Dangit, there goes half my strategy. Probably just annoyed cause I dumped a couple scrolls into the things. :lol:
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 08:45

Re: Confusedly removedness

I would not worry, scrolls of recharging got removed too :)

Code:
Remove wands of confusion    
Wand Charge Merging V: Remove scrolls of recharging
Wand Charge Merging IV: Wands of the same type merge charges upon pickup
Remove the wand draining effect from Zot traps
Wand Charge Merging III: Wands are destroyed when out of charges
Wand Charge Merging II: Remove the cap on wand charges
Wand Charge Merging I: Remove wand charge identification

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commits/master

Thanks, gammafunk!
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 20th November 2017, 08:50

Ooh, but now I can go round up all my remaining acid charges in one. :geek:

Crypt Cleanser

Post Tuesday, 21st November 2017, 05:34

Every wand that gets removed is a good wand.

Edit: I think I didn't make myself clear: I mean that I am happy about every wand that gets removed - less stuff that I should optimally lug around with me.
Last edited by Majang on Thursday, 23rd November 2017, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Maɟaŋ

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 21st November 2017, 14:26

I dunno, I can see it making a niche for the needles of confusion -- unless those are going away, too.

I can't really buy the justification that it's sort of available as a lowish level spell. The book isn't that common as a drop. And not everyone has much Int to toss into spells.

Replacing some with Paralysis is almost as good... But no more motivating big nasties to walk into the lava with wand, apparently. So terrain obstacles got a bit of boost there.

Halls Hopper

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 06:07

wow I love the new commits, thank you gamma!
Spoiler: show
hi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 06:12

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I would not worry, scrolls of recharging got removed too :)

Had some interesting experience with that. Downloaded the newest trunk version yesterday, and got back to an ongoing game. I read-ID'd a stack of 3 unidentified scrolls, and they were identified as scrolls of recharging - I was able to recharge an iceblast wand with that. But then the other two scrolls were listed in my inventory as scrolls of enchant weapon! Then I read-ID'd another one-scroll stack, and that was enchant weapon, too! The irony of this is that I am running a TrTm, who only fights with UC and Throwing. I will still keep the two transmuted scrolls and see if I can have two different scrolls of enchant weapon in my inventory, if I find more of the second kind, or whether they then just stack with the others...
Maɟaŋ

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 09:14

Majang wrote:
VeryAngryFelid wrote:I would not worry, scrolls of recharging got removed too :)

Had some interesting experience with that. Downloaded the newest trunk version yesterday, and got back to an ongoing game. I read-ID'd a stack of 3 unidentified scrolls, and they were identified as scrolls of recharging - I was able to recharge an iceblast wand with that. But then the other two scrolls were listed in my inventory as scrolls of enchant weapon! Then I read-ID'd another one-scroll stack, and that was enchant weapon, too! The irony of this is that I am running a TrTm, who only fights with UC and Throwing. I will still keep the two transmuted scrolls and see if I can have two different scrolls of enchant weapon in my inventory, if I find more of the second kind, or whether they then just stack with the others...

I had a similar experience with my last game, which they were removed in the middle of. Same deal with using one recharge and finding another turned to enchant weapon. I wasn't sure that I hadn't gotten myself confused, until I saw it here too.

There were also some scrolls of recharging remaining in shops which I was able to buy and use, if I did it one at a time.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 22nd November 2017, 23:35

Majang wrote:Every wand that gets removed is a good wand.

Yeah the removed wands (going back to heal wounds, haste, teleport as well as confusion) were generally the strongest wands. But with how powerful wands had been, it probably could stand the nerf. Games where you found a wand of heal wounds and had a few recharging scrolls to go with it were just a whole additional level of "safe". Dying was much less of a concern, you had to *really* mess up to die.

So while I miss them, it's probably better off to not have them.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks:
mattlistener

Tomb Titivator

Post Sunday, 26th November 2017, 11:51

tasonir wrote:Games where you found a wand of heal wounds and had a few recharging scrolls to go with it were just a whole additional level of "safe". Dying was much less of a concern, you had to *really* mess up to die.

So while I miss them, it's probably better off to not have them.

I'm not quite so sure. In order though, I have to admit the recharging scrolls were really powerful by themselves, and then you stack up various choices of wands beside them.

Healing per se was nice but I didn't find it so much of a silver bullet. If you don't know so perfectly how to gather the right collection of stuff to prepare, kill or escape whatever is the most shocking threat to your build at each level, being able to heal a few more times still won't save you. It just drags out the sinking trend. Or such was my experience. Now, if you know most of everything inside and out and you're just super good at setting up to deal with it, sure another six to 20 heals will protect you from many of the remaining -- and very few -- situations where you get actually half surprised. I think it's the less experienced or more casual people who will really have cause to miss healing, though. They may still often die, but it's a few less battles at the edge of their ability range that they'll get to learn from in each run of the game.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner