Make Wands A Skill, Remove Throwing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 12:29

Make Wands A Skill, Remove Throwing

I think that wands and throwing overlap and make each other redundant. This will be even truer if wand stacking is implemented.

So I think that one of them could be removed. I choose throwing, because it is a hostage to the size system, which essentially means that low ammo per base weapon type+high number of egos = a lot of inventory slots taken, because they have to be duplicated between tomahawks and javelins, then add needles.

Wands, being size-neutral, don't have this problem.

But why should wands become a skill separate from evocation? Well, I think that some throwing egos could be carried over to evo, so e.g. curare could become a thurible of poison that inflicts the effect to multiple enemies and recharges over xp. Silver spray, sleepy powder box, whatever is worth keeping. This would make evo stronger. To make up for this, wands, which use a different mechanic from misc items, can become their own skills.

The only throwable that I consider worth keeping are large stones, because they are a huge part of large species gameplay. These could depend on slings skill, and slings could be renamed to throwing.

If it's important to keep some ranged unbranded damage that you can inflict with your hands free, there can be a wand of earth. Although tbh I think that it would be best to leave this role to launchers.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 12:36

Re: Make Wands A Skill, Remove Throwing

I agree, let's remove all wands. Heavy armour characters with low Int should not be able to use Confuse, bolts (level 5/6 spells normally and those spells are subject to resistance unlike wand of acid), digging (better than level 5-7 spells), various clouds (superior to level 6 3-school spell!) etc.
As a bonus it solves inventory problem for 90% characters.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
Majang

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 11th November 2017, 19:58

I am so completely and utterly confused as to what you actually want here, Shtopit.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Sunday, 12th November 2017, 00:47

It's mostly brainstorming. I think that throwing has insoluble problems when it comes to inventory management, so I tried imagining a solution.

In general, I think that throwing should be removed. Shooting should be possible without alternating weapons. You equip a melee weapon and a ranged weapon. If you attack in melee, you use the melee weapon, if you attack with F, you use the ranged weapon. Remove crossbows (or bows), because their coexistence doesn't offer anything special. Have bows only eqippable if you aren't using a shield, and slings as 1-handed alternative. If you have Distorsion or Vamp equipped, usual restrictions apply. If you equip a cursed weapon, you can't switch to the other weapon until you remove the curse.

Dividing wands from Evo was an idea that looked decent to me and I had never seen proposed, and I imagined it could go well with throwing removal.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner