Hypertext manual?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 9th November 2017, 01:21

Hypertext manual?

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the manual in game have some links connecting a paragraph to the others. Like, you read "trolls are large" and you select large and enter the size paragraph, with a chronology button to get back to the previous view.

Or maybe it would be good to have in addition an encyclopedia of interlinked short articles with hard data. A bit like learndb, but in game. Maybe even just with automatically generated stats and oddities. Like piety cost, nutrition value, monster stats...
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Zot Zealot

Post Thursday, 9th November 2017, 04:10

Re: Hypertext manual?

yes that would be possible

Crypt Cleanser

Post Thursday, 9th November 2017, 08:18

I guess it's like indexing a book. It looks great when it is done, but nobody wants to do it.
Maɟaŋ

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 9th November 2017, 17:12

Majang wrote:I guess it's like indexing a book. It looks great when it is done, but nobody wants to do it.

Writing a script to do a fair amount of the linking automatically would be fairly easy (if not 100% accurate), of course the in game manual displayer doesn't know how to render or follow links....
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 19:32

I'd rather just have the wiki pages be actually kept up to date.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 19:39

Blobbo wrote:I'd rather just have the wiki pages be actually kept up to date.

Are you volunteering? :)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Dungeon Master

Post Friday, 10th November 2017, 19:42

I agree with the overall assessment that this would probably be great to have and also that someone would need to volunteer to work on it, but want to point out:

Blobbo wrote:I'd rather just have the wiki pages be actually kept up to date.

The wiki is not, has never been, and (I would guess) will never be official or maintained by the dev team. The manual, in contrast, is. So these requests are completely different in kind.

For this message the author advil has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner