You Can Berserk While Starving

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 14:19

You Can Berserk While Starving

Is this intended? You can fly in a rage while starving. It works with potions and berserkitis. 0.20.1.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Shoals Surfer

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 15:06

Re: You Can Berserk While Starving

Shtopit wrote:Is this intended? You can fly in a rage while starving. It works with potions and berserkitis. 0.20.1.

Unintentional berserk no longer causes hunger, so starving no longer prevents you from triggering berserk. I think this was mainly to prevent people from playing at near starving to ignore berserkitis. Potions of berserk rage likely don't have a hunger cost either, to prevent starving to death from an unidentified quaff.

For this message the author Floodkiller has received thanks: 3
duvessa, pedritolo, Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 17:10

OK, I didn't know that the hunger level limit was a safety measure. It's a pity for the different behaviour in the same effect, though. Maybe it would be better if the potion simply didn't do anything if you are too hungry, or have the Berserker status immediately subside and leave you slowed.
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 18:14

The hunger costs of the Trog ability and the amulet are for the invocation/evocation themselves, not the berserk effect. Like how Elyvilon healing costs hunger, but quaffing a potion of heal wounds doesn't.
Shtopit wrote:Maybe it would be better if the potion simply didn't do anything if you are too hungry, or have the Berserker status immediately subside and leave you slowed.
Not really seeing how that could be better. It's an increase in complexity, and it would result in characters with berserkitis religiously avoiding making melee attacks while hungry.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 2
pedritolo, Shtopit

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 19:19

I think it's the opposite, to have three ways to deliberately activate rage but only have 2/3 of them interact with satiation seems more complicated to me than having all three of them behave the same way.
The proposals were only for the rage potion, not for berserkitis. I think that berserkitis is better as it is now. Less "tedious=optimal".

From a learning point of view, I don't think that the Ely example would work. There are two reasons: the fact that Trog rage has a much heftier nutr cost, and blocks you from using it at very hungry, which I think is an unicum among invocations; and the presence of the amulet, which behaves the same way. I mean, it's clear here in the Tavern, but I don't think that a player would easily abstract that from the game alone, although a new player might have less trouble than an old player.

Dungeon Master

Post Tuesday, 7th November 2017, 19:36

you can use berserk at any hunger state above near starving just like other abilities with similar hunger costs

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner