Spell school enhancers missing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Spider Stomper

Post Friday, 27th October 2017, 17:55

Spell school enhancers missing

I figure this has been asked before, but the search restrictions on these forums is ridiculous.

Why are only ice and fire allowed to have ring or randart enhancer properties, but not earth and air (at the least, they are elemental too) or necro/summoning/poison/etc.. I cant for the life of me figure the reasoning here, especially given that staffs exist for all of the schools (except translocations right because who would bother when spell power is not even a nondecision there).

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 27th October 2017, 19:00

Re: Spell school enhancers missing

To be fair only fire enhancer rings actually matter (unless you're ozoscumming stairs).

As for why, blancing a ring for every school of magic sounds horrible and cluttery.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th October 2017, 19:29

I'm pretty sure the rings date back to pre-DCSS. There really isn't a design reason for their existence, I'm afraid. There are no enhancer randart properties and there never have been.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 27th October 2017, 20:56

duvessa wrote:I'm pretty sure the rings date back to pre-DCSS.

Yes, I fondly remember my HuRe winner (from version 3.40) who was casting fire storm in plate with two rings of fire. In the next version the spellcasting penalty from heavy armour was increased...
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
nago

Crypt Cleanser

Post Saturday, 28th October 2017, 07:28

duvessa wrote:There are no enhancer randart properties and there never have been.

I think I have seen randart rings with Fire or Ice spell enhancers, but I guess that then must have been their base property, and that's why they don't count here, right?
Maɟaŋ

Spider Stomper

Post Saturday, 28th October 2017, 10:59

I've definitely seen randart rings with fire/ice enhancers, and I want to say that I have seen it on amulets or possibly weapons but I imagine I am wrong here.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 28th October 2017, 16:37

There are randart rings whose base type is ice or fire: they get random extra properties beyond their spell enhancer.

Randart rings with other base types, and randart amulets, armour, and weapons cannot get the fire or ice enhancer. That must've been what duvessa was saying.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
duvessa

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner