best strategy and god for Mummy's

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 01:25

best strategy and god for Mummy's

Whats the best strategy for a novice player to win 3-5 runes with a mummy?
Spoiler: show
hi

Dungeon Master

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 02:09

Re: best strategy and god for Mummy's

For a novice, easily the best mummy strat is to play an easier race.

For this message the author amalloy has received thanks: 4
Arrhythmia, Gigaslurp, nago, WingedEspeon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 04:59

Probably MuGl of Oka (heroism helps with bad aptitudes, finesse helps with low damage and lack of berserk). Or MuCj of Vehumet if you are patient and retreat properly (Cj aptitude is fine and you can cast spells without hunger)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 06:31

Gozag so you don't die before lair.
screw it I hate this character I'm gonna go melee Gastronok

For this message the author nago has received thanks: 2
Gigaslurp, WingedEspeon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 07:11

I forgot about Gozag. Yes, it's probably the most OP mummy god for experienced players.

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 14:29

Definitely Gozag, exploits the fact that you don't need corpses and circumvents your incapability to drink by giving you potion effects.

I'm rather fond of Nemelex myself. Since there are never potions in your inventory you have space for all your decks of cards.
Current Victories:
3 Runes: GrEE^Ru, CeBe^Trog, SpEn^Gozag, KoAr^Dith, TeAE^Kiku, TrCK^Xom.
4 Runes: VSFi^Qaz.
5 Runes: DsGl^Oka, MiGl^Hep, GnWz^Sif.
9 Runes: DDAr^Makh.
15 Runes: HOFi^TSO->Zin, DEFE^Veh
For now...

Spider Stomper

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 17:56

Novice player playing mummy sounds like you super-hate food management and are willing to quadruple the game's difficulty level just to avoid the food minigame. There's a less painful way to do that: try playing hellcrawl instead then: viewtopic.php?t=21527

For this message the author Blobbo has received thanks:
Gigaslurp

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 17:59

Blobbo wrote:Novice player playing mummy sounds like you super-hate food management and are willing to quadruple the game's difficulty level just to avoid the food minigame. There's a less painful way to do that: try playing hellcrawl instead then: viewtopic.php?t=21527

Maybe he just likes mummies, i feel like most novices pick races that sound cool to them, possibly after having read the racial description, but mostly not :)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Halls Hopper

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 23:05

What about Mummy with Necromancy ?

That sounds fun
hi

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 2nd October 2017, 23:59

kiku is good yes

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 3rd October 2017, 02:44

Kiku is good if you like necro. Gozag is good if you don't. Nemlex is good if you like getting OP stuff from drawing cards.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

For this message the author WingedEspeon has received thanks:
nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 3rd October 2017, 08:31

Necromancer is pretty strong and Kiku is a great god. That definitely works.

Gozag is also a very a good god, especially for Mummy (no need to waste money on feed, access to effects that are otherwise unavailable). Though I suspect Hunter is stronger than Gladiator, due to ranged superiority.

Summoner is good too, because summons don't require much XP spreading. They also kill most things fairly safely.

Otherwise, IE is still strongish, but with -2 ice and -2 summoning and ice beast level 4, it'll take a while to get reasonably strong.

Blades Runner

Post Thursday, 5th October 2017, 10:23

Mummies have a decent early game. You have average hit points and no armor limitations, and a ton of useful resistances that more than make up for fire vulnerability.

(Once you're far enough along that an average character would have several potions identified.. .well, then you start to slack off, relatively.)

Yer basic fighter/gladiator is good. Grab plate. Mummies have high strength.

Artificers are good, too. They have great early game survivability but nobody seems to point this out.

Sadly, mummies can't berserk because of...

WEll because

I mean, the reason is..

The perfectly sound game-play explanation here is...

Yeah, I have no idea.

Mummies can't berserk (and that is dumb) so don't be a berserker, I guess.

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 7th October 2017, 00:56

Mu^Be is one of their stronger 3 rune starts though...

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 02:17

Do MuGl or MuFi of Gozag. MuFE or MuIE are good too but obviously I think melee is easier. Gozag will of course make it easier to get rF along with the potions and good gear.
remove food

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 08:13

NhorianScum wrote:Mu^Be is one of their stronger 3 rune starts though...

Specifically, which starts is Mu^Be stronger than?

Barkeep

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 15:48

Wait, do you mean "what's a stronger start for Mu than Be?"

I'd guess IE, Ne at least.
I am not a very good player. My mouth is a foul pit of LIES. KNOW THIS.

For this message the author njvack has received thanks:
NhorianScum

Blades Runner

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 20:37

I would suggest a mummy necromancer of Gozag. Train fighting, armour, and necromancy primarily first. Try to use whatever the best ranged weapons or melee weapons as best you can until you take some damage, then use vampiric draining to finish the fights. Save all your mana for draining, don't use pain or other necromancy spells. Wear the heaviest armour you can and still cast vampiric draining. Don't waste gold on potions unless you have no other choice. Pray for naturally spawned shops, or use Gozag's ability to spawn a shop for weapons or armour. You ideally want to find a powerful one-handed weapon as quickly as possible then you know where to dump points for weapon training. It's okay to also just assume M&F as it's the most likely category and probably the best overall anyways. Use a buckler with around 4 skill only until you get further along. Vampiric Drain, armour, and a very good melee weapon are your main priorities. You should be pumping STR.

Tomb Titivator

Post Monday, 9th October 2017, 22:31

MuNe is fine. Mu^Gozag is fine. MuNe^Gozag is questionable. I leave it up to the reader to identify the inefficiency in this strategy.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 04:25

Also it is a very bad idea to train early necromancy and armor at the same time: either you barely get any AC or your spells are still uncastable.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 09:29

edgefigaro wrote:MuNe is fine. Mu^Gozag is fine. MuNe^Gozag is questionable. I leave it up to the reader to identify the inefficiency in this strategy.

Best way to do the pure necro challenge, without accidentally breaking the rules. I guess.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 15:08

The reasons Mummy Necro of Gozag is good are:

Gozag's abilities of potentially getting a good weapon or armour from a shop outshine whatever you might get from animate skeleton and animate dead.
Since you have apt in fighting, you want to try damaging stuff with ranged weapons, then melee until you get wounded. At that point you switch to vampiric draining to heal, then resume melee. This creates a best case scenario for killing stuff and surviving for a class which is pretty terrible in apt in general, except fighting/spellcasting and necromancy.......

If you have undead running around, they actually just get in the way of using ranged attacks to pepper stuff until it closes to melee.
To be more clear, you should mainly train fighting+spellcasting+necromancy, until you find at least some decent armour, go up to ringmail, scale, probably hover there awhile. It all depends, since you are using gozag, you might be able to purchase some amazing armour early on, so you have to remain flexible.

All I'm seeing are a bunch of naysayers, who don't sound like they've tried what I'm describing. I assure the OP, I have played around with mummies lots.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 16:19

svendre wrote:If you have undead running around, they actually just get in the way of using ranged attacks to pepper stuff until it closes to melee.

This is a particularly silly statement, if you have undead running around *they do as much or more damage than your ranged attack would* In addition to preventing stuff from hitting you with a ranged attack some of the time.

Try looking at undead as "slow moving multi-hit conjurations that also act as blockers and give you more time to get into a best case melee position"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 18:56

It is only with a slight lack of sincerity that I recommend the atheist unarmed MuMo. You want to immediately drop your robe and run with no body armor, this will let you use your unencumbered stealth to choose only the best fights. Going unarmed guarantees access to your endgame killdudes on d1.

Don't waste time on spells, evokables, throwing weapons, amulets or bucklers. MuMo is exp starved because of the -2 apts everywhere, you need that xp for Fighting UC dodge and stealth.

This has been a proven winning strategy for at least three players, and fun for countless more.

Context:

For this message the author edgefigaro has received thanks: 3
Blobbo, IronCretin, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 10th October 2017, 19:20

Can you really have a bunch of pet hunger ghosts as a mummy? They don't steal any hp?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 03:52

Hungry ghosts can do a trivial point or two of damage, but can provide all sorts of nifty tactical utility, similar to using a bat to make space between you and a tougher monster, or keeping an orc alive so the centaur closes to melee instead of shooting.

They can also block your escape route in a cooridor though.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 11th October 2017, 10:24

Control undead could alleviate that last problem, though...
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner