Community Toxicity (Not Crawl Related)

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tomb Titivator

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 18:10

Community Toxicity (Not Crawl Related)

Foreward: This post has nothing to do with crawl, this forum or the crawl community. The reason I am posting it here is because some of you may be knowledgeable about such things.

Is there a metric for measuring toxicity in a gaming community? I'm mostly thinking about multiplayer games. I played a little bit of bridge online for a while, and I realized that the elderly bridge playing population is not immune to the same stresses that exist in other gaming communities.

I have friends who when i talk about various games they say "the game was fun but i couldn't handle the players."

Does anyone know if there have been attempts to measure community toxicity in a non-anecdotal way?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 19:14

Re: Community Toxicity (Not Crawl Related)

edgefigaro wrote:Foreward: This post has nothing to do with crawl, this forum or the crawl community. The reason I am posting it here is because some of you may be knowledgeable about such things.

Is there a metric for measuring toxicity in a gaming community? I'm mostly thinking about multiplayer games. I played a little bit of bridge online for a while, and I realized that the elderly bridge playing population is not immune to the same stresses that exist in other gaming communities.

I have friends who when i talk about various games they say "the game was fun but i couldn't handle the players."

Does anyone know if there have been attempts to measure community toxicity in a non-anecdotal way?

Here is an article:

http://www.ds.ewi.tudelft.nl/~iosup/Art ... mes_cr.pdf
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 2
edgefigaro, neil

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 18:23

There was this halo 3 thing from a few years ago https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.themar ... sment/amp/
"No one should have two lives / Now you know my middle names are wrong and right / But baby there's no guidance / When random rules"

For this message the author scorpionwarrior has received thanks:
edgefigaro

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 15th September 2017, 23:56

The problem throughout the internet is being made to face the subjectivity of others, to see the self as the other sees it. The self-loathing endemic to the most extremely online internet users magnifies that problem. Hell is other people, folks.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner