The Update The Text Thread

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 25th August 2017, 21:35

The Update The Text Thread

This text is meant to collect outdated parts of text that are still in the in-game documentation, in the descriptions, or what have you. Since it's about text revision, you can also post descriptions of texts which may not be outdated, but aren't perceived as clear.

From the Manual, referring to wands:

There
are also a number of wands that may be useful to aim at yourself.

Not any more!
Last edited by Shtopit on Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
n1000

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 25th August 2017, 21:54

Re: The Update The Text Thread

Flame may be useful in 1-tile water pool to create steam. There's also chance that polymorph and random effects happen to be good.
Though I agree that this line is uncalled for.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 26th August 2017, 02:07

Also, good for suiciding Vampires.

For this message the author Airwolf has received thanks:
nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 15:43

Substitute "It can fly" in x-v with "it flies" or "it is flying".
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks: 2
amaril, duvessa

Slime Squisher

Post Monday, 28th August 2017, 17:14

Dithmenos' ability descriptions should make explicit that you can shadowstep to an enemy "within your umbra" rather than just "nearby".

If the phrasing "nearby" is preferred in the "you haven't joined yet" text, it should at least be changed in the a)bility text / ^religion text, which adherents see. (Who have or will shortly have an umbra and thus a referent to help them understand the range of shadowstep.)
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

For this message the author mattlistener has received thanks:
duvessa

Mines Malingerer

Post Tuesday, 29th August 2017, 01:16

The text for when a monster beats your MR check "<foo> struggles to resist" is a bit misleading. At first I was confused that the monster in question was unaffected despite the text, but it turns out that it means "the monster tries really hard and manages to resist". Certainly that could be changed to something more elegant.

For this message the author charlatan has received thanks:
duvessa

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 00:58

"resists with a struggle", "resists with an effort", or "just barely resists" would all be an improvement.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 04:48

I don't think it makes much sense when we have hexes chance already. I mean I don't care how it resists when I see I had 50% chance.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 05:50

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I don't think it makes much sense when we have hexes chance already. I mean I don't care how it resists when I see I had 50% chance.

I thought the message gives more info though? The hexes chance does not tell you anything about the monster's equipment. But the message does, right? So when you see that you have a 50% chance of confusing a monster but it easily resists several times, you might guess that the ego armour it is wearing is MR+.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 06:14

Sprucery wrote:I thought the message gives more info though? The hexes chance does not tell you anything about the monster's equipment. But the message does, right? So when you see that you have a 50% chance of confusing a monster but it easily resists several times, you might guess that the ego armour it is wearing is MR+.

If this is true, this is not ideal way to show it. Am I supposed to check hundreds of messages just to catch that single monster which might have a MR+ item? Because it is easily possible that the monster does not have it, I was just unlucky.
The game should calculate it automatically like "The monster easily resisted several times already, probably it has an MR+ item".
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 30th August 2017, 07:28

I think it would be best that if you try to hex a monster who is wearing some MR+ armour, the armour ego would be identified after the first attempt*. But the monster might be wearing a ring instead. Should we display jewellery on monsters as well?

*Similarly for other resistance egos.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Lair Larrikin

Post Thursday, 31st August 2017, 13:16

The DCSS Manual has outdated info about rods:

Rods ('|') hold unique spells that you can evoke while wielding the rod, using the 'v' command. The effectiveness of these spells is increased by Evocations skill. They have a pool of magical energy which regenerates according to the rod's enchantment (which can be increased using scrolls of recharging) and your Evocations skill.

For this message the author Ge0ff has received thanks:
Shtopit

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 9th September 2017, 05:06

From the Ctrl-F help menu (?) :
/D:[2-4] finds everything on Dungeon levels 2-4. Regexes are allowed!
Note that /D:[3-10] will not work as intended, since [x-y] is a
regex character range.

I don't understand this sentence, and it might be a good thing to explain why it doesn't work, or how such a request should be written for a user who's not an expert in regexes.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 9th September 2017, 07:44

Fingolfin wrote:From the Ctrl-F help menu (?) :
/D:[2-4] finds everything on Dungeon levels 2-4. Regexes are allowed!
Note that /D:[3-10] will not work as intended, since [x-y] is a
regex character range.

I don't understand this sentence, and it might be a good thing to explain why it doesn't work, or how such a request should be written for a user who's not an expert in regexes.

[...] is a one-character matching regular expression atom, it means "match the characters listed" so [1234] would match any one of 1, 2, 3, or 4. a hyphen between two characters inside [ ] means "any character in that range (inclusive) so [a-e] means "match a single a,b,c,d, or e", and [2-4] means "match a single 2,3, or 4", [3-10] would mean 'match any character in the range from 3 to 1, or a 0" however since most regex interpreters don't let you make your range backwards, it probably wouldn't match anything.

If you want to search for dungeon levels 3-10 you would need to do something like:
/D:([3-9]|10)
Which means "match a 'D', then a ':" then either one character between 3 and 9 or '10'"

Parentheses are used for grouping, | is alternation (which means choose one of the options)

You use alternation on the whole expression like so:
/D:5|D:2
to search for all things on D:5 or on D:2 (each entire side of the | could match)

And you can use parenthesis to separate a group of things that you want to separate with alternation like so:
/D:(3|5|7|11)
to find anything on D:3, D:5, D:7 or D:11

Regular expressions are pretty complex, getting a full description of what they could do in a the manual might be difficult to do without being overwhelming, but a reference to the many online resources on the internet would probably be helpful for those that don't know (I direct a lot of newbies I encounter to http://www.regular-expressions.info/quickstart.html)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 13th September 2017, 14:30

When tabbing with bows:
- Plant in line of fire: OK
- Not-plant in line of fire: gets a request as if you were trying to bash something with the bow, while you actually try to move from a position with clear line of fire
- Out of arrows: it doesn't say "out of arrows", it says "OK then."

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 19th September 2017, 19:40

Unlike what the description in char creation says, Halflings aren't hardy: they have a HP penalty.

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 19th September 2017, 20:06

Shtopit wrote:Unlike what the description in char creation says, Halflings aren't hardy: they have a HP penalty.
They are hardier than other small species like kobolds or spriggans (who by the way get an EV bonus iirc)
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Temple Termagant

Post Saturday, 23rd September 2017, 03:33

Fingolfin wrote:
Shtopit wrote:Unlike what the description in char creation says, Halflings aren't hardy: they have a HP penalty.
They are hardier than other small species like kobolds or spriggans (who by the way get an EV bonus iirc)

Maybe update it to "Hardier compared to the smaller folk, Haflings ..." and then just the regular text for them

For this message the author TheInsanity556 has received thanks:
Fingolfin

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner