Anti-Inventory god

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 12:02

Anti-Inventory god

Tired of inventory, piety, food and mutations management and ID minigame? Join "Inventus".
Given abilities:
1) All items are always identified (passive)
2) No hunger (see Mu) (passive)
3) Quaff a potion. You invoke the ability and get a menu to select one of the following potions: agility, berserk, brilliance, cancellation, curing, haste, heal wounds, invisibility, lignification, magic, might, resistance. Duration depends on Invocations skill (linear from normal duration at Invocations 0 to triple duration at Invocations 27). Moderate draining like from Ru's Power Leap.
You CANNOT select the same potion again until you use all other potions first. Example: you select heal wounds. When you invoke the ability next time, the menu does not contain heal wounds. You select haste. Next time the menu does not contain heal wounds and does not contain haste.
4) Read a scroll. You invoke the ability and get a menu to select one of the following scrolls: blinking, teleportation, fear, fog, immolation, silence. Moderate draining like from Ru's Power Leap. Similar mechanics like with potions, don't expect to rely on blinking only, you will have to use a different scroll every time.
5) Unlimited ammo. Yes, including unlimited large rocks for Tr/Og.
6) Unable to evoke wands or staff of energy. CBoE, sack of spiders, cloak of invisibility etc. are still allowed.
7) 100% immunity to mutations and rotting
8) Unable to quaff normal potions, unable to read normal scrolls (that means no enchanting weapons/armour, no acquirement etc.) Yes, confusion becomes cruel, you still may want to invoke ability to quaff curing if it's currently available in the potions menu.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
tankra

Shoals Surfer

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 13:27

Re: Anti-Inventory god

So for potions and scrolls, I should retreat to a safe level to use up leftover or mediocre consumables to refresh my stock? Probably worth a bit of drain/piety to get hasting/blinking back instead of walking around with only lig/immo.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 13:32

Floodkiller wrote:So for potions and scrolls, I should retreat to a safe level to use up leftover or mediocre consumables to refresh my stock? Probably worth a bit of drain/piety to get hasting/blinking back instead of walking around with only lig/immo.

It's up to player. A better player might use them earlier, when lig/immo could be useful so last potion left would be haste and last scroll would be blinking.

Edit. It is still a challenging god IMHO. All abilities are free, there is no piety for this god.

Lair Larrikin

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 15:05

I actually like it, and I would be down to try this god, even though I'm not sure if you're trolling.

A few concerns:

1) I don't see why Mutations have to be done away with to eliminate inventory considerations. Ditto for keeping potion of mutation out of the pool of potions.
2) What does unlimited ammo mean? Do you still have to find a stack of the right type, but it just shows up as infinite? What happens when you abandon the god, I guess he would just take away all your scrolls/ammo/potions to deal with the clash of systems?
3) I would like to see wands have a similar system as potions and scrolls. Maybe they all stack and every time you evoke it you get to choose between like 3 random wand effects, kind of like Gozag potion petition?
4) Also I assume every scroll/potion you pick up just stacks into "potion" or "scroll" stack which you then read from, right?
5) The existence of books would mean you still have to drop books at some point, thus defeating the purpose slightly.

For this message the author tankra has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 16:38

tankra wrote:I actually like it, and I would be down to try this god, even though I'm not sure if you're trolling.

A few concerns:

1) I don't see why Mutations have to be done away with to eliminate inventory considerations. Ditto for keeping potion of mutation out of the pool of potions.
2) What does unlimited ammo mean? Do you still have to find a stack of the right type, but it just shows up as infinite? What happens when you abandon the god, I guess he would just take away all your scrolls/ammo/potions to deal with the clash of systems?
3) I would like to see wands have a similar system as potions and scrolls. Maybe they all stack and every time you evoke it you get to choose between like 3 random wand effects, kind of like Gozag potion petition?
4) Also I assume every scroll/potion you pick up just stacks into "potion" or "scroll" stack which you then read from, right?
5) The existence of books would mean you still have to drop books at some point, thus defeating the purpose slightly.

Thank you, I would liek to play this god too! No, I am not trolling. I realize it will never be added to DCSS hence CYC subforum.

1) If potion of mutation is out of pool, then it means there is no way to cure mutations and this is really bad IMHO so I decided to give immunity to mutations. Immunity to rotting is given to deal with Tomb, there is no way to repeatedly cure rot without potions.
2) There is no need to find any stacks, just launcher is needed (throw large rocks from turn 1 as TrBe if you want). I dislike abandonment system so I guess the god is like Ru, you keep all passives even after abandonment. That means no scrolls/potions ever.
3) 3 instant wand effects are too powerful IMHO. Maybe we can use the same pool system as for scrolls/potions. Training evocations should not increase wand power, just Invocations should.
4) No, you have all potions/scrolls as soon as you join the god. Found scrolls/potions are completely useless, even after abandoning the god.
5) You are right. We will have to wait for Hellcrawl books system implemented in DCSS (there is no need to keep books in inventory)

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 04:48

Something like giving a enchant foo/acquirement ability that you can only use after finding the scroll could work. That way you get the same enchants/acquirements that other characters get, but you don't store them in your inventory.

EG you find 3 ?ea. you can use ea as an ability 3 times now, but you can't read the scroll. If you don't use the ability and find another ?ea, you can then use it 4 times.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 05:18

WingedEspeon wrote:Something like giving a enchant foo/acquirement ability that you can only use after finding the scroll could work. That way you get the same enchants/acquirements that other characters get, but you don't store them in your inventory.

EG you find 3 ?ea. you can use ea as an ability 3 times now, but you can't read the scroll. If you don't use the ability and find another ?ea, you can then use it 4 times.
It would not be different from inventory then.

Pandemonium Purger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 08:18

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
WingedEspeon wrote:Something like giving a enchant foo/acquirement ability that you can only use after finding the scroll could work. That way you get the same enchants/acquirements that other characters get, but you don't store them in your inventory.

It would not be different from inventory then.

I thought the point was to not need to manage your inventory.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 10:13

Yes, that's the idea. Players will want to know how many times they can use "enchant armour" ability and we will end having another type of inventory

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 11:05

Perhaps the best thing to do is to keep things simple.

On conversion, you drop all wands, evokers, potions, scrolls, ammo (including thrown weapons) and food. You get punished for picking up those items, or using them from the floor. You can pick up and use armour, weapons and jewellery as normal.

The god provides a number of active and passive defence abilities.

You are permanently set to 4700 satiety (Vp and Gh get special dispensation here).

You get the ability to cure status effects and/or heal a little, causes exhaustion/drain. Piety cost depends on effects cured. Cheap for confusion, expensive for Mark, etc. Or maybe just number.

All weapons, armour and jewellery are identified. Curses have no effect.

Launchers can be fired with ammo, except Blowguns, and just do 'ordinary' damage, i.e. arrow, bolt, bullet. Maybe Tr/Og could get special dispensation for giant rocks here, but I doubt that's necessary.

Active ability to get some movement ability, maybe random tele/blink, otherwise it would be too reliant on covering that with spells.

Perhaps some ranged elemental damage invocation.

Not sure what kind of powers to give, maybe a chance to gain haste when hitting a dangerous enemy?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 11:14

It would be a different god. What I like in my proposal is that players will need to use different scrolls/potions, also players cannot cure confusion, mark, tele, blink etc. whenever they need (mark is even totally incurable).

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 11:44

Do you not get access to cancellation?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 11:51

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:Do you not get access to cancellation?

Oops, I forgot I included cancellation into potions pool. Probably pool can be refreshed if cancellation is last remaining potion, we don't want to punish smart play (when you never needed the potion) with draining.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 12:12

You could just give a (heavy) piety-cost ability to refresh the pool.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Monday, 21st August 2017, 12:27

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:You could just give a (heavy) piety-cost ability to refresh the pool.

The god does not have piety. Losing XL (and skills trained from last XL) might work. This should be a hard god, we have many easy gods already.

Lair Larrikin

Post Tuesday, 22nd August 2017, 04:59

VeryAngryFelid wrote:4) No, you have all potions/scrolls as soon as you join the god. Found scrolls/potions are completely useless, even after abandoning the god.

For me, this is not the best way of going about it, because it will definitely lead to cheese where for example you use scroll A, and after the fight, you just waste scrolls B through Z just to get access to scroll A again. Not so challenging, and it makes it feel a little like the god gives you unlimited uses of consumables rather than just cutting down on inventory.

Rather, the way I would see it is that all the potions stack on the same potion slot, and all the scrolls stack on the same scroll slot, and whenever you [r]ead or [q]uaff, you simply go through one of them. This gives you a real limit on the amount of times you can read and quaff, and makes the consumable decisions still important, all while accomplishing the goal of not having to worry about inventory.

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:You could just give a (heavy) piety-cost ability to refresh the pool.

In addition to the fact that OP said there wouldn't be piety, I think this goes against the design goal of the god. It's like giving Chei the ability to haste for heavy piety, or allow Xom worshippers to choose a boon from a list once every X boons. It just weakens the design without actually making it more fun.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 22nd August 2017, 07:06

tankra wrote:For me, this is not the best way of going about it, because it will definitely lead to cheese where for example you use scroll A, and after the fight, you just waste scrolls B through Z just to get access to scroll A again. Not so challenging, and it makes it feel a little like the god gives you unlimited uses of consumables rather than just cutting down on inventory.

Probably you missed draining cost part. If you waste scrolls B through Z i.e. use them without killing enemies, you will easily end with all skills at 0.

Rather, the way I would see it is that all the potions stack on the same potion slot, and all the scrolls stack on the same scroll slot, and whenever you [r]ead or [q]uaff, you simply go through one of them. This gives you a real limit on the amount of times you can read and quaff, and makes the consumable decisions still important, all while accomplishing the goal of not having to worry about inventory.

This is too similar to current crawl IMHO. Typically I have just 1-2 of each consumable early game. I don't want to have another "Ash" problem when you join a god but cannot use its abilities because you are unlucky to find some resources so I'd like quaff/read abilities be completely independent of found potions/scrolls (something like Gozag).
Edit. To clarify I want to make the god more attractive when you are unlucky with scrolls/potions.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner