A Magic God That Actually Helps

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 17th August 2017, 18:13

A Magic God That Actually Helps

Tavern Wisdom ™ is that Vehumet and Sif Muna are both weak gods. Minmay’s recent tier lists and Hellmonk’s god chart in that thread both indicate that they simply don’t do much, and among the plenty of back-and-forth in that thread, none of it was about Veh and Sif. What I’ve gleaned from comments there and elsewhere, and from my own experience, is that these gods just don’t do much. These gods get off to a slow start, so new mages don’t get much help, and their endgame powers don’t give panic buttons or otherwise meet stronger characters’ needs.

Here is an attempt at a god that is genuinely helpful to both early and late game characters.

0*: no new abilities

1*: +MP. Passive. The amount given is a function of Invocations, rewarding lower Invocations quickly and flattening out for higher Invocations.

2*: no new abilities

3*: +Wiz. Passive. The amount given is a function of Invocations, rewarding all levels of Invocations linearly.

4*: no new abilities

5*: +Archmagi and +MPRegen. Active. The amounts given and duration are functions of Invocations, rewarding lower Invocations slowly and trending generously for higher Invocations.

6*: Book Gift: One-time capstone. The player chooses the spell school. The book contains a 2-3 low level spells that don’t appear in the school’s starting book, 3-4 mid-levels spells, a single high-level spell.

Gifts: Spell levels, starting at 4*.

Sif piety gain. Sif wrath, plus losing the gifted spell levels with random forced amnesia on abandonment.

The +MP is similar to Sif’s Divine Energy, but scales to reward high-level characters as well. The +Wiz is borrowed from Veh, and can help any character. The 5* is designed to help high-level characters in tough fights. The capstone is meant to replace book spam with a single very useful book. The spell level gifts are inspired by Sif’s Amnesia but give the player the ability and incentive to branch out into other spell schools without compromising their core spellset.

I’d envision early characters being able to cast more instances of their basic spells in a given fight and to be able to successfully cast their entire starting book sooner. Mid-level characters will be able to access and cast high-level spells sooner. High-level characters will have a large library of varied spells and can turn themselves into devastatingly powerful wizards with good staying power for large fights.

I doubt this is enough to make it a very strong god, but I expect it would be better than what either Veh or Sif are right now.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Thursday, 17th August 2017, 19:08

Re: A Magic God That Actually Helps

Hellcrawl sif has weak ashenzari magic boost for spellcasting and all schools. (Hellcrawl has been Ashenzari-free for a while now.) It's pretty good. It overshadows Vehumet pretty badly though. There's been talk about Vehumet giving a reduction in ER's effect on spellcasting, so that heavily armored conjurations makes some kind of sense.

I don't think there's a lot of point in having more general purpose magic gods.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 17th August 2017, 19:29

Veh and sif are so weak because their early abilities do almost nothing compared to most other gods' abilities. +mp can't compete with allies or rage or even +5 to all combat skills. Unfortunately +mp or magic regen really isn't powerful or necessary for most characters. If spirit shield were removed as an amulet, spirit shield + mp regen could be a powerful early passive.

I like the idea behind choosing a school and getting a relevant book as an ultimate, but why should an ultimate ability give mostly low level spells? If hellcrawl magic reforms were in mainline crawl, I would advocate for a capstone ability like "choose a spell school (there are no conjurations in hellcrawl) and every spell from that school gets added to your library."

For this message the author amaril has received thanks: 4
duvessa, Gigaslurp, MainiacJoe, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 00:00

the magic god that actually helps is kiku

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 4
Gigaslurp, Lavandula, nago, NhorianScum

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 00:01

amaril wrote:If spirit shield were removed as an amulet, spirit shield + mp regen could be a powerful early passive.
Or if it wasn't removed as an amulet! Trog berserk still exists despite berserk amulet existing.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 05:14

bel

Cocytus Succeeder

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 07:09

I find Vehumet pretty good and use it often (both in crawl and hellcrawl), but then I don't consider the game over after the early game. Above all, it is very smooth to play with Vehumet, due to the MP on kills and the wiz bonus. More MP = less problems.

Sif is so-so (it's better in hellcrawl).

For this message the author bel has received thanks: 2
Majang, VeryAngryFelid

Crypt Cleanser

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 07:35

I fully agree with bel. Vehumet is only bad from an optimal-play perspective, but actually pretty stinking awesome for anybody not worried about optimal play. Please don't mess with Vehumet.
@amaril: Why do you think that saddling a caster with spirit shield is a good thing? That alone would be a good reason for me to stay away from this god, almost as bad as gifting allies. It would not be redeemed by mp regen.
Maɟaŋ

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 08:28

I don't think this proposal solves the stated problem. There needs to be a bit more power earlier. Spellpower, hit chance, range, wiz, casting speed reduction or something!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 14:26

4Hooves2Appendages wrote:I don't think this proposal solves the stated problem. There needs to be a bit more power earlier. Spellpower, hit chance, range, wiz, casting speed reduction or something!

Agreed. When I thought about my casters, they struggle early with running out of MP and needing to spend XP to get the book online that takes away from defenses. How does this sound, and as a Sif rework instead of a new god.

0*: No new abilities
1*: +Brilliance. Active. Strength and duration functions of Invocations. Cheap and spammable.
2*: Divine Energy 2.0: Passive. Sif Muna may give you magical energy when you cast spells. After each cast, there is a generous chance based on Invocations that Sif gives back 0-casting_cost MP. Basically, it's a passive channel, always on.
3*: No new abilities
4*: Acumen. Passive. Whenever a spell is cast, the spell casting delay is reduced. When taking any other type of action, gives some of the delay back but never above 10. Invocations improves the reduction and reduces the give-back.
5*: No new abilities. Begin gifting spell levels.
6*: Tome of Arcana. One-time Capstone: Choose a spell school. 8 spells in book, guaranteed to be unknown. Preference for high-level vs. mid-level spells, and single-school vs. multi-school spells.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 18th August 2017, 17:07

Magic already provides so many options that it's difficult to enhance it without going completely OP.
Also, linear power increases aren't relevant. Yredelemnul and Heplialqana provide the biggest bonus a mage could ask for, i. e. permanent meatshields to let you stay away from melee. Latter can even do all the spellcasting for you, pro bono and better than you.

For this message the author Lavandula has received thanks:
scorpionwarrior

Shoals Surfer

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 00:21

I'm not entirely certain why "magegod" idea's always seem to give mages things they already have an excessive amount of at the cost of training an otherwise worthless skill.

For this message the author NhorianScum has received thanks: 5
duvessa, floatboth, Gigaslurp, nago, yesno

Halls Hopper

Post Saturday, 19th August 2017, 19:45

How about a literal Trog equivalent for magic. "Magic berserk" that adds MP and Wiz for some turns and gives you exhaustion, ability to summon allies (spellforged servitors?), weapons become unavailable…

and of course Burn Weapons

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Sunday, 20th August 2017, 05:05

Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner