I still don't understand the point of rune locked vaults

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 21:30

I still don't understand the point of rune locked vaults

I don't see why greater linearity is a plus, and why the generally much more difficult depths are left unlocked, only 1-2 levels later.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 21:40

Re: I still don't understand the point of rune locked vaults

Reptisaurus wrote:I don't see why greater linearity is a plus, and why the generally much more difficult depths are left unlocked, only 1-2 levels later.

They were also locked at one point i think the greater difficulty was considered a sufficient deterrent.

Greater linearity results in the s runes being less of a cakewalk if you could consume all the xp in vaults [1-4] before tackling the end of the s branches, you could more readily steamroll them.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Blades Runner

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 21:56

Ok. I.. sort....of... see the logic behind that. Like when I forget I haven't done crypt until I'm a ways into extended and go through tab tab tab tab "yawn* tab tab tab tab?

And I guess depths isn't a problem because it's much, much harder to survive to get enough XP to crush Spider?

Still, optimal play is pretty much always gonna say "Do the easiest required branch, first." Removing rune lock on Vaults wouldn't change 95% of my games.

Thanks for explaining though!

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 22:08

Reptisaurus wrote:Ok. I.. sort....of... see the logic behind that. Like when I forget I haven't done crypt until I'm a ways into extended and go through tab tab tab tab "yawn* tab tab tab tab?

And I guess depths isn't a problem because it's much, much harder to survive to get enough XP to crush Spider?

Still, optimal play is pretty much always gonna say "Do the easiest required branch, first." Removing rune lock on Vaults wouldn't change 95% of my games.

Thanks for explaining though!

Fwiw i would personally like it if slime, abyss, and elf were 1 rune locked, and crypt and depth were 2 rune locked, and tomb, hell and pan were 3 rune locked with zot. (Possibly even more locks than that, like 4/5 rune locks on hell/pan and a 6 rune lock on tomb) ;)
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 22:16

The lair branches range from bad content (spider, swamp) to awful content (snake, shoals). To somehow shoehorn that into a game that also features "nonlinearity" in the most naive form of arbitrary backtracking, you have to make some goofy rules. That's where the rune lock comes in.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

For this message the author watertreatmentRL has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 22:57

watertreatmentRL wrote:The lair branches range from bad content (spider, swamp) to awful content (snake, shoals).

I think you should play some other game.

About the rune lock: it does not change how I play my games in any way.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

Pandemonium Purger

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 22:59

The rune lock is stupid and should be removed. Maybe replaces with some suggestion comments when entering branches giving new players advice on branch order.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 23:27

Sprucery wrote:
watertreatmentRL wrote:The lair branches range from bad content (spider, swamp) to awful content (snake, shoals).

I think you should play some other game.

I do play another game. It's called hellcrawl.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 8th August 2017, 23:52

I personally don't get the Zot lock. I mean, I get it for new players. The search for the runes is pretty cool, since they are important, getting even just one of them is a way to measure your skill or in general the results you have obtained and your growth as a player. If you have played many games, however, you might start to wish to try some new things. One new thing could be entering Zot without having done three runes, which is enough to get an enormous XP boost.
Or maybe it would be better if there were a few rune areas in depths which aren't death traps if you aren't end-game ready, just to add some choice or variety. This still from the "many games" POV.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Pandemonium Purger

Post Wednesday, 9th August 2017, 02:04

Zot rune lock is there because otherwise you would win with 2 lair runes and nothing else. Zot rune lock makes runes matter.
http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/playe ... speon.html. I started playing in 0.16.1
I achieved greatplayer in less than a year.
Remove food

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner