Cursed Equipment Just Takes Longer to Swap

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 11:46

Cursed Equipment Just Takes Longer to Swap

• Cursed equipment takes as long to switch as armor.
  • Remove ?RC.
  • Ash deprecates removing cursed equipment.
This changes curses to be only a tactical burden. Currently they are a strategic burden which has an inventory slot tax.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 11:54

Re: Cursed Equipment Just Takes Longer to Swap

Primary purpose of having curses is to make player spend considerable time (exploring 1-2 floors) with bad equipment, it won't be the case if cursed items can be removed in 10 turns.
I believe to "fix" curse system, we need to separate identifying potions/scrolls from identifying equipment.
I see the following options:
1) Rename scroll of identify to scroll of identify potion/scroll. Add scroll of identify armour/jewlery/weapon.
2) Rename scroll of identify to scroll of identify potion/scroll. Cursed armour/jewelery/weapon can be removed only after getting some XP while using it.
3) Remove scroll of identify (3a: potions/scrolls are always identified OR 3b: use-ided). Cursed armour/jewelery/weapon can be removed only after getting some XP while using it.
If you are risky, you can equip several cursed items at once and try to get XP to uncurse them all (you need the same XP no matter how many equipped items are cursed)
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 13:48

VeryAngryFelid wrote:Primary purpose of having curses is to make player spend considerable time (exploring 1-2 floors) with bad equipment, it won't be the case if cursed items can be removed in 10 turns.
Sure but this is boring IMO, and really just a scroll tax on convenience. Having *Curse on equipment as a more common negative randart property will make for more, more interesting choices.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 13:57

Just make cursed items uncurse when the player enters a previously unentered floor and make scrolls of remove curse considerably more rare.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 27th July 2017, 14:10

Factorialite wrote:Just make cursed items uncurse when the player enters a previously unentered floor

This made me want to add "and curse it back when you retreat upstairs"...
Can we add a new effect like *Karma to artefacts and some cursed items which say "This item cannot be used on next 5 new floors you enter after you use scroll of remove curse on it"

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 17:55

How about cursed items immediately lose cursed status upon being worn, and instead grant a temporary (but long-lasting) bad mutation.

That would take Remove Curse out of the game, while making no change to Identify.

You will sometimes be tempted to wear an identified cursed item, instead of making that status irrelevant with RC.
Last edited by mattlistener on Saturday, 29th July 2017, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 18:19

Guys, there are no interesting decisions involved in curses, there cannot be, and there never will be. Curses are a fundamentally bad idea that do not fit in the game. They're as good an idea as fake weapons that break and shoot springy snakes everywhere when you attack with them. It's a mechanic you would mail order off an ad in Mad Magazine. It is ridiculously, comically bad and it's amazing that people talk about a.) keeping it around, b.) "reforming" it, and c.) how actually, the last thing I said was my favorite thing about crawl when you talked about removing it wasn't really my favorite, actually it's curses.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

For this message the author watertreatmentRL has received thanks: 2
duvessa, WingedEspeon

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 18:27

I am not sure about it. For instance, circus animals had quite interesting curses, they were far from ideal but might be improved for sure:
Curses now have a curse level.
The curse on equipped items decay as a player gains experience (unless the player worships Ash of course).
Typical early game curses are at curse level 100.
Reading a remove curse scroll reduces the curse level by a minimum of 100, scaling up with invocations and piety (whichever is greater).
Once the curse level drops to 0, the item is no longer cursed.
Later game curses may be much higher than 100, and require multiple scrolls or a lot of waiting before they go away.
Mummy death curses curse an equipment slot, not an item. Equipment slot curses pass on to an item as soon as it is equipped.
The same item can be cursed multiple times, increasing the curse level.
Curse level > 1000 will cause the bonuses of that item to be neutralized. A +5 long sword of poison becomes a +0 long sword, while the curse is above 1000.

For this message the author VeryAngryFelid has received thanks:
MainiacJoe

Slime Squisher

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 18:41

VeryAngryFelid wrote:I am not sure about it. For instance, circus animals had quite interesting curses, they were far from ideal but might be improved for sure:
Curses now have a curse level.
The curse on equipped items decay as a player gains experience (unless the player worships Ash of course).
Typical early game curses are at curse level 100.
Reading a remove curse scroll reduces the curse level by a minimum of 100, scaling up with invocations and piety (whichever is greater).
Once the curse level drops to 0, the item is no longer cursed.
Later game curses may be much higher than 100, and require multiple scrolls or a lot of waiting before they go away.
Mummy death curses curse an equipment slot, not an item. Equipment slot curses pass on to an item as soon as it is equipped.
The same item can be cursed multiple times, increasing the curse level.
Curse level > 1000 will cause the bonuses of that item to be neutralized. A +5 long sword of poison becomes a +0 long sword, while the curse is above 1000.
I like the idea. Not a fan of the bonus suppression though, and I think the invo/piety scaling makes no sense on a scroll (scrolls always cast things with high, fixed power)
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Halls Hopper

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 19:39

watertreatmentRL wrote:Guys, there are no interesting decisions involved in curses, there cannot be, and there never will be. Curses are a fundamentally bad idea that do not fit in the game. They're as good an idea as fake weapons that break and shoot springy snakes everywhere when you attack with them. It's a mechanic you would mail order off an ad in Mad Magazine. It is ridiculously, comically bad and it's amazing that people talk about a.) keeping it around, b.) "reforming" it, and c.) how actually, the last thing I said was my favorite thing about crawl when you talked about removing it wasn't really my favorite, actually it's curses.

Tell us how you really feel about curses though

Temple Termagant

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 23:21

Ash deprecates removing cursed equipment.

This is kinda off-topic but, which version are you playing? I player up to Zot with a chara worshipping Ash and never did I observe any penalties to switching cursed gear other than not supporting the gear's skills.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Friday, 28th July 2017, 23:34

Piroco wrote:
Ash deprecates removing cursed equipment.

This is kinda off-topic but, which version are you playing? I player up to Zot with a chara worshipping Ash and never did I observe any penalties to switching cursed gear other than not supporting the gear's skills.

What I meant was, if there was no constraint by the limited number of ?RC which spawn on Ash swapping, we'd need to have Ash take piety when you did it.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner