Turn visible, stop flying and stop singing

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Halls Hopper

Post Thursday, 13th July 2017, 12:57

Turn visible, stop flying and stop singing

Turn visible was an ability that let user of Invisibility spell to lose Invis status and stop receiving magical contamination from it.
Stop flying is an ability that lets players in some forms to stop flying (and lose vulnerability to Airstrike). It is still available for Gargoyles and Tengu, but for some reason it was cut from dragonform players.
Stop singing was an ability that let caster of Song of Slaying shut it down, reducing noise.
Why were these three abilities removed?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 13th July 2017, 19:06

Re: Turn visible, stop flying and stop singing

Turn visible was tied evocable invisibility, not spell invisibility. If you weren't wearing a +Inv item you couldn't turn invisible. It existed mainly for the purpose of convenience, because you could turn visible by removing the +Inv item. Now that removing a +Inv item no longer removes your invisibility, the ability is gone.
Dragon form never had the option to stop flying.

Abyss Ambulator

Post Friday, 14th July 2017, 07:29

duvessa wrote:Turn visible was tied evocable invisibility, not spell invisibility. If you weren't wearing a +Inv item you couldn't turn invisible. It existed mainly for the purpose of convenience, because you could turn visible by removing the +Inv item. Now that removing a +Inv item no longer removes your invisibility, the ability is gone.
Dragon form never had the option to stop flying.

Was that changed very recently? I have some recollection if trying to use a randart amulet(?) with +Inv, then swapping to something else before stairs, and it didn't work. Unfortunately, I can't remember which character it was. It was either 0.21 or 0.19.5 because I haven't played anything else recently.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 16:20

duvessa wrote:Now that removing a +Inv item no longer removes your invisibility, the ability is gone.

Unless I missed a change after my commit, removing a +Inv item does end invisibility, and it gives you contamination as if you had waited out the full span of invis rather than terminating it early. Now, from a contamination standpoint, ending invis early or on time have identical effects. The motivation behind this version rather than the active "end invis" option is to remove the tedium of manually ending invis every time when using the evoked item without making it optimal to achieve the same effect by removing the item granting invis. The fact that this slightly nerfs evocable invis is not the intended goal, but is a happy by-product.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
duvessa, nago

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 19:50

Lasty wrote:
duvessa wrote:Now that removing a +Inv item no longer removes your invisibility, the ability is gone.

Unless I missed a change after my commit, removing a +Inv item does end invisibility, and it gives you contamination as if you had waited out the full span of invis rather than terminating it early. Now, from a contamination standpoint, ending invis early or on time have identical effects. The motivation behind this version rather than the active "end invis" option is to remove the tedium of manually ending invis every time when using the evoked item without making it optimal to achieve the same effect by removing the item granting invis. The fact that this slightly nerfs evocable invis is not the intended goal, but is a happy by-product.
My mistake; you're mostly right. What confused me is that removing a cloak of invisibility appears to leave you with the Invis effect for a few extra aut afterwards.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 19:58

Lasty wrote:

Note that for convenience, I'd still like to be able to actively end the invisibility without removing the item (with the same contam cost as taking it off), just so I then don't have to put it back on again. It might be that the contam results are the same, but it means turns less resting off the the contamination (by the remaining duration of the invis)

It's still optimal (by a much smaller margin) to end the invis early, and now it's much more tedious to do so.
Spoiler: show
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 20:29

duvessa wrote:What confused me is that removing a cloak of invisibility appears to leave you with the Invis effect for a few extra aut afterwards.

Weird. I'll look into that.

Siegurt wrote:Note that for convenience, I'd still like to be able to actively end the invisibility without removing the item (with the same contam cost as taking it off), just so I then don't have to put it back on again. It might be that the contam results are the same, but it means turns less resting off the the contamination (by the remaining duration of the invis)

It's still optimal (by a much smaller margin) to end the invis early, and now it's much more tedious to do so.

Huh. I guess that's true. Well, fine, I'll make it give you slightly more contam when ending prematurely then you get by resting it off, then. There's no way I'm bringing back the irritation of having to actively end the ability early every time.

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 21:15

Resolved Siegurt's issue here.

Lasty wrote:
duvessa wrote:What confused me is that removing a cloak of invisibility appears to leave you with the Invis effect for a few extra aut afterwards.

Weird. I'll look into that.

It looks like it's because unequipping armor doesn't happen until all the time spent on the action is over, so no time passes between setting the invis duration to 0 and giving the player control again. I'm looking into solutions, but this is a tough one to solve. In any case, the invis should wear off after the next action the player takes.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
ZipZipskins

Dungeon Master

Post Saturday, 15th July 2017, 22:12

Ok, fixed that too. I was over-thinking it.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks: 2
duvessa, ZipZipskins

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner