Give unarmed fighters gloves with offensive brands/egos.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Temple Termagant

Post Tuesday, 13th June 2017, 04:55

Give unarmed fighters gloves with offensive brands/egos.

I know unarmed combat isn't supposed to be amazing, but still a viable option with enough investment... I do think a small feature to add is the ability to find or manually add offensive brands to gloves. maybe if it won't hurt balance then give a chance for unarmed fighters to disarm weapon-wielders to sweeten the deal(just don't make it the main attraction).

I was gonna recommend fist-weapons at first, but I think gloves with egos is good enough.

My whole point for this small topic is nothing much, but unarmed should be able to take advantage of offensive egos if need be, but shouldn't be the main source of there power.
Last edited by archaeo on Tuesday, 13th June 2017, 17:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit, moved to CYC from S&C

Zot Zealot

Post Tuesday, 13th June 2017, 05:40

Re: Give unarmed fighters gloves with offensive brands/egos.

No access to brands is one of the things which makes unarmed different from armed combat. I think that's a good thing.

For this message the author chequers has received thanks: 6
duvessa, Lasty, luckless, mkraemer, nago, Queen Cassie

Zot Zealot

Post Wednesday, 14th June 2017, 16:28

Voxden wrote:My whole point for this small topic is nothing much, but unarmed should be able to take advantage of offensive egos if need be [...]

Well, there are kind of brands for unarmed fighters when you learn transmutations:

• venom (spider form)
  • freezing (ice form)
  • claws + auxiliary attacks (dragon form)
  • draining (lichform)
I wouldn't use lichform. But spider, ice and dragon form are good.

Voxden wrote:I know unarmed combat isn't supposed to be amazing [...]

Did you ever ever fight in statue form with high UC skill with a troll / demonspawn + claws / octopode?

You'll get stone claws / stone tentacles. Enjoy!

Voxden wrote: [...] but still a viable option with enough investment...

Yes, tMut and especially UC eats a lot of XP, that's the downside.

For this message the author Turukano has received thanks: 2
mkraemer, nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 02:53

For what it's worth, you can also cast Confusing Touch (Hexes spell) with some (not sure if all?) unarmed attacks.
Online game stats & morgues
More runes! GnWn (11, 0.21), GhMo^Makh (15, 0.17)
And a Yiuf: (1.4.6, 0.20): ImpGl^Oka (3)

Abyss Ambulator

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 07:27

Does someone suggest this idea with each new release, or more frequently than that?

UC does get pretty ridiculous with blade hands and/or statue form though. With an MfTm of Chei, I was able to one-shot golden dragons in statue form. Granted, statue form almost got me killed too, but it's hard to deny the power of it.

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 15th June 2017, 20:05

It gets brought up every now and then, but not too terribly often. A weapon slot item is a horrible idea and should probably be on the won't do list if it isn't, I wouldn't mind a glove ego that had some benefit to unarmed, but it's probably also unnecessary. There already exists offensive gloves - it's the unrand gauntlets of war, which in addition to having a +3 AC enchantment, have +5 slaying. Those are some serious punching gloves. We could add a slaying ego to gloves which gives something like +2 or +3, but then the unrand becomes less unique.

Overall, I'd change nothing, but there could be some reasonable options. Spiked gloves which count as a rank 1 claws mutation? You can't have claws 1 and gloves at the same time, so this gives you a secondary method of getting claws 1, for your lonely ghoul who wants to get the 3-4 ac from gloves.

Swamp Slogger

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 05:51

maybe adding an unrand glove that gives vorpal to unarmed might be a cool little thing

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 22nd June 2017, 14:19

What you're describing essentially exists, and it's called Gauntlets of War.

For this message the author Lasty has received thanks:
nago

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner