Trog


If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 21

Joined: Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 18:31

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 10:55

Trog

Berserk, insane magic resistance+regen, berserking brothers in arms...he is OP as fuck, and we must deal with it.

For this message the author Zap-zapper has received thanks:
duvessa

Slime Squisher

Posts: 332

Joined: Tuesday, 14th April 2015, 19:56

Location: France

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 11:07

Re: Trog

Zap-zapper wrote:Berserk, insane magic resistance+regen, berserking brothers in arms...he is OP as fuck, and we must deal with it.

Maybe it's good that there is an (relatively) easy and noob-friendly god? Not everyone is good at this game.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4341

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 11:51

Re: Trog

Fingolfin wrote:Maybe it's good that there is an (relatively) easy and noob-friendly god? Not everyone is good at this game.


Trog is still problematic as it makes otherwise weak combos like KoFi pretty powerful.
IMHO it is not an excuse to have an OP god for new players, there must be other solutions like:
1) The only way to worship Trog is via starting as Be
2) Trog can be worshiped only by players who have never won before
3) Explicit difficulty levels
etc.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Slime Squisher

Posts: 332

Joined: Tuesday, 14th April 2015, 19:56

Location: France

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 12:26

Re: Trog

VeryAngryFelid wrote:
Fingolfin wrote:Maybe it's good that there is an (relatively) easy and noob-friendly god? Not everyone is good at this game.


Trog is still problematic as it makes otherwise weak combos like KoFi pretty powerful.[\quote]
I disagree. The point of a god is to make combos more powerful.
If you don't like it don't use it, but maybe some players need a power boost to succeed. Also, while it does give a significant boost in damage and survivability, I wouldn't call it OP. (An illustration from my personal experience : I have won 3 games, none of them with Trog) Trog doesn't trivialize the game, and it takes some practice and foresight to use his abilities effectively.
3 runes : MiMo^Ru, HOFi^Beogh, TrMo^Yredelemnul, GrFi^Ru, FoFi^Gozag, MiGl^Okawaru
4 runes : DDFi^Makhleb
5 runes : GrEE^Vehumet
15 runes : MiFi^Ru, NaWz^Sif Muna, GrWz^Sif Muna
I mostly play offline or online on CXC

Vaults Vanquisher

Posts: 443

Joined: Thursday, 16th February 2017, 15:23

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 12:39

Re: Trog

The idea of Trog as berserker-only, non-dungeon god is pretty good in my opinion. It takes a poorly balanced god out of the equation for most games and makes a clear distinction between berserker and other backgrounds that stays with you through the whole game. The power of early Trog altars smashes a lot of games into the same thing, making the right choice from a winrate perspective to go Trog even on some magic-oriented combos.

I don't really see the argument that the game needs a lot of easy options. It's already pretty easy, you got the berserker option, and you've got Fedhas. Okawaru is similar in offering very straightforward, physical combat oriented play with mechanics that are considerably easier to use effectively -- indeed, the only real mistake you can make is not using the abilities. There's no niche there that needs Trog as a temple god to fill.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 21

Joined: Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 18:31

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 15:33

Re: Trog

Why my thread got moved here? I am pretty serious - Trog is a really broken god, and needs at least some serious nerfs. Or I should write a wall of text explaining this obvious fact?

Personally, I am thinking that he needs a rework, and merging him with Okawaru is a pretty good idea. Okawaru is a god with similiar concept, but he has, like, 2 abilities. He seems not finished. But if we merge him with Trog, and give this new god abilities based on those two, it would be pretty good, I think

For this message the author Zap-zapper has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4341

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 15:56

Re: Trog

Fingolfin wrote:Also, while it does give a significant boost in damage and survivability, I wouldn't call it OP.


This char used a spear all game.
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Sandman26/m ... 141214.txt

This char used a spear all game and invoked berserk zero times (103 brothers-in-arms is OP too).
http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/Sandman26/m ... 234754.txt
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4341

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 15:59

Re: Trog

Zap-zapper wrote:Why my thread got moved here? I am pretty serious - Trog is a really broken god, and needs at least some serious nerfs. Or I should write a wall of text explaining this obvious fact?


I believe it is obvious to devs too and they consider it ok, also OP does not conform to GDD rules as far as i know.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Spider Stomper

Posts: 242

Joined: Friday, 17th April 2015, 16:22

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 17:08

Re: Trog

Gods aren't balanced against each other, and people enjoy Trog, so I don't expect significant nerfs to him anytime soon.

bel

Dis Charger

Posts: 2100

Joined: Tuesday, 3rd February 2015, 22:05

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 19:32

Re: Trog

I like the idea of Trog restricted to Berserkers.

As for gods not balanced against one another, a little bit of non-balance is probably ok. However, if the balance is too out of whack, it's not a good thing. Because the opportunity cost of taking another god is too much, I feel bad in passing up a stronger god when it is available, just to have a different experience.

By the way, same goes for playstyles and backgrounds. I have often heard people argue that backgrounds are not meant to be balanced. That is fine, but playstyles should still be roughly balanced. Some people already think that the game is too unbalanced towards heavy armour melee. I recall an old thread which calculated the Elo ratings of various characters: most of the easiest ones were "fighter" types. One should not take the calculation too seriously, but the outcome is suggestive.

For this message the author bel has received thanks:
VeryAngryFelid
User avatar

Vestibule Violator

Posts: 1606

Joined: Saturday, 18th June 2016, 13:57

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 22:29

Re: Trog

Making Trog a background exclusive sounds good to me. It's just too good to be left as an option in the Temple, since there is no reason not to go Trog as a heavy warrior, and I don't think it right to have no mechanical reason to choose something else over it.

This way it would still remain a way to help new players.
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka
User avatar

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4298

Joined: Wednesday, 23rd October 2013, 07:56

Post Saturday, 3rd June 2017, 22:44

Re: Trog

The problem is that then some other god is the best option...
...KoAK}CeVM{MfWnMiAK}TeAMDrIE{FoVMVSFi}{MuVMGhGlVpMo}HaWrSpWz{OgGlTrMo}{CeWnMfBeMiSk}
DrEE{GrFiFoGl}DgEnFeNe{OpGlHuSu}DDArHaCKSpAEGrTmDgFEDsCjGhMoHuVM{HaAMBaEn}{HuMoHOWn}
DsWzDDHu{DgWnGnBe}FeIE{MiEnMfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}FeEEHOIE

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
ichbins

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 8666

Joined: Sunday, 5th May 2013, 08:25

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 01:22

Re: Trog

Crawl doesn't need an easy mode god and it certainly does not need multiple easy mode gods and multiple easy mode species. Bad players don't even play Ce/DD or Fedhas/Kiku/Gozag very much. The same goes for challenge mode gods and species, conducts are a cleaner way to accomplish that.

Painting Trog as a god for new players to easily win is also a mischaracterization of how new players play, I think. I hate to use Crawl games to support arguments because they're anecdotal evidence, but if you watch some Trog splats I think you'll find that pretty much all of them would have been avoided if the player used brothers in arms. Most players do not use abilities with piety costs if they think they can possibly avoid it, especially with gifting gods. So they berserk a lot (badly) and that gets them to Lair relatively often, and then they splat because melee tactics are probably the hardest thing in Crawl and they don't use brothers in arms.

Easy mode options are also only useful inasmuch as players can actually recognize them as easy mode options. Bad players usually don't realize Fedhas is good, or centaurs or deep dwarves or demigods or even trolls or Kiku. They often think XXFi of Okawaru is better than XXBe. The players that are able to recognize which of the 20 options are overpowered tend to also be players that don't need those overpowered options to win. That's why games with actual difficulty levels call them some variation of "Easy, Normal, Hard" instead of "Trog, Okawaru, Xom". They also don't give their difficulty levels a bunch of mechanical differences that are unrelated to difficulty, or make you choose two difficulty levels at the start of the game and a third one between D:2 and D:9. The "oh, they're just difficulty levels" rationalization misses the fact that species, backgrounds, and gods, in addition to being badly balanced, are also bad at being difficulty levels. If they were difficulty levels, you wouldn't get nearly as many complaints about their balance.

(For what it's worth, while species and god balance has been stagnant for basically forever, non-zealot background balance has improved significantly over DCSS's lifespan.)

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
bel, chequers, nago, Queen Cassie, VeryAngryFelid

Lair Larrikin

Posts: 21

Joined: Wednesday, 31st May 2017, 18:31

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 04:19

Re: Trog

It's Dowan who supposed to be smart, not Duvessa!

Ahem, anyway, the idea of merging Okawaru and Trog into a one god and giving it abilities based on those two is still floating in my head. Because Trog is overpowered, and Okawaru is good, but unfinished. And also, almost similiar concept.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4341

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 05:00

Re: Trog

I dont see why Trog should be merged with Oka. Gifts are not their main points and even then Oka gives armour.
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Dis Charger

Posts: 2077

Joined: Saturday, 2nd February 2013, 09:52

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 12:34

Yeah, Trog is strong, but so what? Gods are supposed to be strong.

If you wanna fix a god, fix Xom. It is completely ridiculous to have a god that is clearly worse than no god.

Swamp Slogger

Posts: 151

Joined: Sunday, 17th July 2016, 05:35

Location: Vancouver, WA

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 16:16

Re: Trog

If you're playing Okawaru or Trog for their gifts you're doing it wrong.
Wins: MiFi(6,15), SpEn(11), DDHu(3), GrEE(3)

For this message the author Queen Cassie has received thanks: 2
archaeo, nago
User avatar

Barkeep

Posts: 1785

Joined: Saturday, 29th June 2013, 16:52

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 18:05

Re: Trog

Zap-zapper wrote:Why my thread got moved here? I am pretty serious - Trog is a really broken god, and needs at least some serious nerfs. Or I should write a wall of text explaining this obvious fact?

Please read the GDD guidelines for more information. We don't move topics all that often anymore, but GDD OPs will ideally lead to more structured discussion than "I like/dislike this god."

For the record, I think Crawl without Trog would be boring and sad. I also don't super get the obsession with balancing character options in a single-player game, though, so maybe I don't have anything to add to this conversation.

Dis Charger

Posts: 2077

Joined: Saturday, 2nd February 2013, 09:52

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 18:27

Re: Trog

archaeo wrote:
Zap-zapper wrote:Why my thread got moved here? I am pretty serious - Trog is a really broken god, and needs at least some serious nerfs. Or I should write a wall of text explaining this obvious fact?

We don't move topics all that often anymore, but GDD OPs will ideally lead to more structured discussion than "I like/dislike this god."


While we're at it: is it possible to make a GDD subforum names BadGDD or something like this and move these ill-fated stuff there instead? I think that these topics don't belong in CYC which is a place of fun.

Abyss Ambulator

Posts: 1174

Joined: Friday, 16th January 2015, 20:20

Post Sunday, 4th June 2017, 19:35

Re: Trog

Slight hyperbole: Trog exists as training to use god abilities.

Ziggurat Zagger

Posts: 4341

Joined: Friday, 8th May 2015, 17:51

Post Monday, 5th June 2017, 10:33

Re: Trog

Airwolf wrote:Slight hyperbole: Trog exists as training to use god abilities.


Well, I suspect Trog is the least friendly one for training, no other god has "You invoked an ability at wrong time, now you will die because all you can do is to move and attack in melee".

I would consider Lugonu such "training" except it does require training Invocations and thus is not that easy for new players.
A very dangerous monster in view? Check Banish
The monster has too high MR for Banish to work? Check Bend Space to escape
Too many very dangerous monsters? Check Corrupt
Got to 6 stars of piety? Check distortion-branding
Underestimated: cleaving, Deep Elf, Formicid, Vehumet, EV
Overestimated: AC, GDS
Twin account of Sandman25

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by ST Software for PTF.