Minor god powers for demigods

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 5th May 2017, 18:45

Minor god powers for demigods

Demonspawns gain mutations from their demonic parent,demigods gain better stats.To make playing demigods more fun what if to lower their stats a bit but give them some random piety free minor god power as they mature,lets say at XL9,like minor destruction,heal other, grow toadstools.Who is your daddy ?

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Friday, 5th May 2017, 19:47

Re: Minor god powers for demigods

The whole point of demigods is that they don't get god powers.

For this message the author duvessa has received thanks: 5
Gigaslurp, nago, njvack, Sprucery, VeryAngryFelid

Dungeon Dilettante

Post Friday, 5th May 2017, 20:16

I do understand and accept that but i still think that one random minor power will make playing demigods more diverse and fun.I do not think that is a game breaker.just small detail to make game more fun.And maybe to make parent god angry with his offspring and randomly sent wrath during all the game.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 6th May 2017, 09:01

Quick fix. Switch Demonspawn and Demigod's names...no other changes.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Tomb Titivator

Post Saturday, 6th May 2017, 14:44

Hey yeah that makes total sense, except oh wait, it gives demigods god worship, so no it sure as fuck doesn't

Abyss Ambulator

Post Saturday, 6th May 2017, 21:51

God optional.

Dis Charger

Post Saturday, 6th May 2017, 23:19

No it makes sense. Demonspawn and Demigods switch names and no other changes.

Demonspawn aren't allowed to worship gods because of their demonic ancestry (all gods hate them, instead of being too uppity to choose a god like the current Demigod flavor); but their demonic ancestry gives them fantastic stats to help make up for it.

Demigods get fantastic god powers (like Robust and Hurl Hellfire) as they level; good gods reject them because they are opposed to god/human relations that created them.
I'm beginning to feel like a Cat God! Felid streaks: {FeVM^Sif Muna, FeWn^Dithmenos, FeAr^Pakellas}, {FeEE^Ashenzari, FeEn^Gozag, FeNe^Sif Muna, FeAE^Vehumet...(ongoing)}

Slime Squisher

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 16:21

I tried to play a Dg as part of my "Complete the Pantheon" quest and essentially died of boredom. Can we find a way to give them something??
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 16:43

One common answer to this problem is that being boring is demigods' shtick, because they are supposed to have no gods to differentiate them from each other, and no flashy mutations to differentiate them from other races. Even sustain abilities was taken away.

I don't play them, they are boring, in part because of how slow they gain skills and levels. Also, -2 spellcasting?
I Feel the Need--the Need for Beer
Spoiler: show
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

Spider Stomper

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 17:02

You know, all these threads could be put to rest if demigods were renamed and reflavored to something that didn't scream "this race should have supernatural powers."

For this message the author luckless has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Gigaslurp, nago

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 18:00

Their stats are god-like, people!

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 18:24

I think you're close to the right idea: Demigods and demonspawn should be mashed into a single species. At least then you have something significantly different from humans. If the whole point of demigods is no god powers, that point sucks.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 18:49

You feel divine! is the new You feel monstrous!
3DSBeTr 15DSFiRu 3DSMoNe 3FoHuGo 3TrArOk 3HOFEVe 3MfGlOk 4GrEEVe 3BaIEChei 3HuMoOka 3MiWnQaz 3VSFiAsh 3DrTmMakh 3DSCKXom 3OgMoOka 3NaFiOka 3FoFiOka 3MuFEVeh 3CeHuOka 3TrMoTSO 3DEFESif 3DSMoOka 3DSFiOka

For this message the author Shtopit has received thanks:
nago

Tomb Titivator

Post Tuesday, 16th May 2017, 18:53

I think there's room in the game for a species with the godless gimmick. Although having high attributes that the player has lot of control over is powerful, it seems to be boring compared to the demonspawn mutation lottery.

So controlled power > mutation lottery when it comes to fun. Crawlers are gamblers.
Spellcasting penalties, Armour skill, and strength
15 runes: 2x HuSk, Op(Mo,Tm,Wn,Fi,Wr,EE,AM,Wz,Ne), VSTm, DsTm, Dg(Sk,Tm), MuGl, GhMo, Fe(En,EE,Ar,Wn,IE)
3 runes: FoFi, OgSk, KoHu, SpCj, 2x DgGl, MiBe, Fe(Fi,Tm,Mo,Su)

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 00:21

watertreatmentRL wrote:I think you're close to the right idea: Demigods and demonspawn should be mashed into a single species. At least then you have something significantly different from humans. If the whole point of demigods is no god powers, that point sucks.
It doesn't suck, though. It's a cool restriction and it's cool that it is represented through something other than self-held honor rule gimmick runs.

Not every species needs to appeal to everybody. Demigods might not have the broad 'fun' appeal of demonspawn, but they are still a worthwhile species to have.

For this message the author Shard1697 has received thanks: 4
Fingolfin, Gigaslurp, Malevolent, nago

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 00:31

What if demigods were forced atheists, immune to smiting, covered by stasis, and able to wield triple swords with one hand?

Vaults Vanquisher

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 00:56

Shard1697 wrote:
watertreatmentRL wrote:I think you're close to the right idea: Demigods and demonspawn should be mashed into a single species. At least then you have something significantly different from humans. If the whole point of demigods is no god powers, that point sucks.
It doesn't suck, though. It's a cool restriction and it's cool that it is represented through something other than self-held honor rule gimmick runs.

Not every species needs to appeal to everybody. Demigods might not have the broad 'fun' appeal of demonspawn, but they are still a worthwhile species to have.

Actually, it sucks.
*Lana Del Rey voice* , video games...

For this message the author watertreatmentRL has received thanks:
duvessa

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 06:51

watertreatmentRL wrote:Actually, it sucks.

It most definitely does not. And demigods are already very, very significantly different from humans.

There is no point in combining demigods and demonspawn, except that they both start with 'dem'.
DCSS: 97:...MfCj}SpNeBaEEGrFE{HaAKTrCK}DsFESpHu{FoArNaBe}
FeEE{HOIEMiAE}GrGlHuWrGnWrNaAKBaFi{MiDeMfDe}{DrAKTrAMGhEnGnWz}
{PaBeDjFi}OgAKPaCAGnCjOgCKMfAEAtCKSpCjDEEE{HOSu
Bloat: 17: RaRoPrPh{GuStGnCa}{ArEtZoNb}KiPaAnDrBXDBQOApDaMeAGBiOCNKAsFnFlUs{RoBoNeWi

For this message the author Sprucery has received thanks:
Magipi

Crypt Cleanser

Post Wednesday, 17th May 2017, 17:01

Believe it or not, my first ever victory was with a Demigod FE. I don't think I played it ever again.
Maɟaŋ

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 18th May 2017, 15:01

Shard1697 wrote:It's a cool restriction and it's cool that it is represented through something other than self-held honor rule gimmick runs.

This is an argument for a game-supported conduct system, something that the Nethack I once played did. I thought it was super-cool. You could realize halfway through a game that hey, I still have never done X (eg attacked an unaware enemy), maybe I can pull off the whole game preserving that conduct -- and if you did, the conduct system would naturally show it. Or you could ignore it and not know it's there.

Maybe for Demigods to remain as a race they should have something more interesting about them than "we don't have a conduct system so you have to play as this race for people to know at a glance that you played the whole game godless."
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Thursday, 18th May 2017, 16:06

mattlistener wrote:
Shard1697 wrote:It's a cool restriction and it's cool that it is represented through something other than self-held honor rule gimmick runs.

This is an argument for a game-supported conduct system, something that the Nethack I once played did. I thought it was super-cool. You could realize halfway through a game that hey, I still have never done X (eg attacked an unaware enemy), maybe I can pull off the whole game preserving that conduct -- and if you did, the conduct system would naturally show it. Or you could ignore it and not know it's there.

Maybe for Demigods to remain as a race they should have something more interesting about them than "we don't have a conduct system so you have to play as this race for people to know at a glance that you played the whole game godless."

That would imply that they got *nothing* in exchange for their good slot.

That isn't true, they get better stats, more hp and mp.

It may be that this isn't sufficient, and maybe it isn't interesting, but it isn't the same as "just a human with an imposed conduct"
This high quality signature has been hidden for your protection. To unlock it's secret, send 3 easy payments of $9.99 to me, by way of your nearest theta band or ley line. Complete your transmission by midnight tonight for a special free gift!

For this message the author Siegurt has received thanks: 3
duvessa, Gigaslurp, nago

Slime Squisher

Post Saturday, 20th May 2017, 13:51

Siegurt wrote:
mattlistener wrote:Maybe for Demigods to remain as a race they should have something more interesting about them than "we don't have a conduct system so you have to play as this race for people to know at a glance that you played the whole game godless."

That would imply that they got *nothing* in exchange for their good slot.

That isn't true, they get better stats, more hp and mp.

It may be that this isn't sufficient, and maybe it isn't interesting, but it isn't the same as "just a human with an imposed conduct"

I said "more interesting". I am aware they have better numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Progress:

Ziggurat Zagger

Post Wednesday, 24th May 2017, 20:17

luckless wrote:You know, all these threads could be put to rest if demigods were renamed and reflavored to something that didn't scream "this race should have supernatural powers."

Hold on, hold on, I've got this. From now on all demigod threads will be REQUIRED to link pictures of kevin sorbo as hercules.

This, this is your demigod. They're strong, they have a lot of health, NO WEIRD MAGIC GOD POWERS.

For this message the author tasonir has received thanks: 4
duvessa, luckless, Magipi, nago

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner