FR/How-To: Generate New Random Name

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd May 2017, 19:08

FR/How-To: Generate New Random Name

I like Crawl's random name generator, usually. I've played a bit of Hepl lately, though I haven't won one yet. Many times the first ancestor name I don't like so well, but I also don't have a name in mind. It would be great to be able on the "Ancestor Identity" dialog to have an option to have Crawl make a new name randomly in addition to entering in a player-chosen one. The best I can think of currently to get a random name on demand is to open a wizmode window and keep generating pan lords until i get a name I like.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Spider Stomper

Post Wednesday, 3rd May 2017, 19:28

Re: FR/How-To: Generate New Random Name

I feel obligated to note that panlords don't use the same naming scheme as ancestors; they use a bizarre random string generator (that is shared by scrolls, shopkeepers, and the player if you decline to give a name), while ancestors pick a name at random from a large file of real names. You are probably better off worshiping Hep in wizmode than making panlords.

https://github.com/crawl/crawl/blob/mas ... onname.txt has the list in question if you want to spoil yourself, ancestor names start at line 288 or want to know where a name comes from.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd May 2017, 19:29

Thanks. Yeah the panlord names were uniformly weird after I made 150 of them.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Wednesday, 3rd May 2017, 20:12

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner