First Orc Sorcerer Paralysis Death

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st May 2017, 15:32

First Orc Sorcerer Paralysis Death

After a couple years playing I had my first YASD by this method. About 20 turns previous, at full health, I said out loud, "This doean't look good. Maybe I should teleport?" Yes, I should have.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Monday, 1st May 2017, 18:06

Re: First Orc Sorcerer Paralysis Death

Good! Now learn to change the feeling "Maybe I should teleport" to the action "I will now teleport" (and maybe a turn or two earlier—that's generic advice: I haven't looked at your morgue specifically).

Spread unending pain and darkness!

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Monday, 1st May 2017, 21:41

One of the things you get better at as you get better is bailing on fights before they even start.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 12:23

Yes, I'm taking encouragement from this that it even occurred to me to bail before it started. I also learned, the hard way, that orc sorcerers really are dangerous. I've not ever been paralyzed by one in the past that I can recall, so I kinda overlooked them. It was the orc knight I was worried about here.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Abyss Ambulator

Post Tuesday, 2nd May 2017, 17:30

I think things like orc sorcerers are harder to evaluate because they have a fairly low probability of a highly dangerous attack (paralyze, banish, etc) than orc knights who are going to pummel your ass with probability 1. Plus, you can likely survive a solo orc sorcerer paralyzing you, but in a crowd with an orc knight etc, you are in real trouble if paralyzed. Keeping the sorcerer out of direct line of sight helps—e.g. keeping other orcs or allies between you and the sorcerer, fog—but retreating (or high MR) is definitely best.

As everybody says around here, luring is OP, especially for branch ends.

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner