New Ash 5*: Aptitude Boost to Low-Level Skills Only

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it belongs here. Also, come here if you just need to get hammered.

Tartarus Sorceror

Post Tuesday, 25th April 2017, 13:36

New Ash 5*: Aptitude Boost to Low-Level Skills Only

The problem I see with Transfer Knowledge is that by the time you get to the end of Lair, it's pretty infrequent that you want to remake your build's core competency, but quite frequent that you're ready to train new skills to round out your character. So I propose that instead of transferring knowledge, Ash gifts aptitude boosts of skills you have low skill levels in, below a cut-off perhaps, or inversely proportional to skill level. "Ashenzari will help you learn new skills." I am not sure mechanically whether this would be best if she gifts manuals, or it's an active ability that lasts until the skill cutoff is reached, or if it is an active ability that affects all skills according to their current skill level, or what.
Won (52). Remaining (15): 5 species: Ba, Fe, Mu, Na, Op; 5 Backgrounds: AM, Wr, Su, AE, Ar; 5 gods: Jiyv, newNem, WJC, newSif, newFedh

Slime Squisher

Post Thursday, 27th April 2017, 03:47

Re: New Ash 5*: Aptitude Boost to Low-Level Skills Only

I currently have an Ashenzari worshipper going and yeah, it's a bit of a bummer that he has no use for Transfer Knowledge.

Straight up free XP seems boring and maybe too powerful.

I could see it being like the peak skills of some other gods -- you can do a one-time Transfer Knowledge OR you can get a one-time manual gift. Manuals feel very Ash-flavored already -- some gods give you abilities to straight-up blast things, Ashenzari gives you tools to go figure stuff out yourself.
Won with: KeAE^Sif, NaWz^Sif, NaTm^Chei, SpEn^Nmlx, GrEE^Qaz, HOFE^Veh, MiBe^Trog, DrFE^Hep, FoFi^Zin, CeHu^Oka, DjFE^Ash, DrIE^Ru, FeSu^Jiy, GnCA^Usk.
In Progress:
Long-term goal: complete the pantheon.

Shoals Surfer

Post Thursday, 27th April 2017, 06:35

Transfer is pretty good imo. Investing in cheese it out skills early and then dumping into throwing/launcher/other lategame usefulskill in vaults feels good.

Dungeon Master

Post Thursday, 27th April 2017, 10:26

It's intended that Transfer Knowledge to be only situationally useful. The goal is to provide strategic flexibility.

For this message the author dpeg has received thanks:
NhorianScum

Return to Crazy Yiuf's Corner